• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation pinch points on Caminho Portuguese?

BarbaraW

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019/22, Portuguese 2023, Ingles 2024
I'm hoping to walk after Easter starting at Tomar (which I particularly want to visit), then taking the train from Coimbra to Porto. I'll probably take the river/coast alternative out of Porto then cut back to the central route. My comfortable walking distance is 15-20 km per day, and I prefer not to book ahead.

Are there particular pinch points, or times on this Camino where it might be advisable to book? And are taxi services readily available as they are on the Frances? I won't have it in me to walk another 5 k+ to find accommodation after 20k. I'm not fussy about where I stay, albergues if possible, but anything else if necessary. Grateful for any advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think your three objectives here, 15-20 km days, not to book ahead and not to have to walk on another 5 or so km, are almost mutually exclusive. I walked the CP from Tomar in May 2022, and used a combination of booking ahead a day or two, ensuring I arrived sufficiently early where I didn't, and choosing places where there were several albergues and other accommodation closer together.

Here is what I see as the rub. If you plot out out 15-20 km stages (I used ~20km stages) you find yourself stopping more often in places with only one albergue or hostel. This increases the prospect that if you haven't booked and it is full, having to walk on a little longer. How often is difficult to say. I only observed it once, but I wasn't sitting watching the arrivals, and where I did see it I just happened to be in the reception area at the time.

Where I arrived early afternoon at places that I hadn't booked ahead, I never had a problem getting a bed. But at the same time, when I passed albergues in some of the more popular towns, there was already a big crowd waiting by midday or shortly after. Perhaps not enough to fill these places, but certainly enough to make me concerned.

Your question hints at using taxis should you find yourself in this situation, so clearly you understand what is at stake here. That is not something that I had to do. Certainly there were taxi services all along the legs you are proposing, but I have no idea how much they would cost, nor how responsive they would be.

On your last point, I found Gronze.com to be most useful in finding accommodation. I did have the Wise Pilgrim app, but didn't use it regularly to navigate, and didn't explore its potential as an accommodation search tool. Looking at it now, it seems to be a pretty good complement to Gronze or as a standalone tool.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back