• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation problems on the Salvador?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have not heard there is a shortage on Salvador. Are you saying that some places are closed or that there are a lot of people and not enough beds right now?

I have not heard there is a shortage on Salvador. Are you saying that some places are closed or that there are a lot of people and not enough beds right now?
Combination of: municipal albergues being shut; I've been told by someone on the ground that several hostels are fully booked; other places have no availability for my preferred dates; and I've messaged another place but haven't had a reply as yet. I'm still hopeful - but finding accommodation on the Madrid and from Sahagun to Leon is proving easier.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

other places have no availability for my preferred dates; and I've messaged another place but haven't had a reply as yet.

I got the following information in May from Ender/Cuñarro. Municipal albergues are closed (La Robla, Buiza, Poladura). But I think Sandra in Bendueños is open.

La Robla - Pension Mundo

Poladura - El Embrujo gives pilgrims a special price

Llanos de Somerón .. Albergue El Cascoxu

Pola de Gordón has workers filling up their pensiones at least through August. There are both AVE workers and workers dismantling a coal-burning plant. Weekends there are usually spots open.

Pensiones are open in Pajares (pensión and casa rural). Pola de Lena has Pensión Payete and a hotel. Mieres has a lot to choose from.

For people who want to walk in 5 days, no problem it seems. It’s just Pola de Gordón that’s a sticking point now. And that’s really the best place for the first night if you want to walk in four days.

@Calisteve, where are you having difficulty and for what dates?

Another option, that might be validated by someone more familiar with the Salvador, could be to organise a taxi to spend two nights in one place and be driven either back or forwards on the following day.

Combination of: municipal albergues being shut; I've been told by someone on the ground that several hostels are fully booked; other places have no availability for my preferred dates; and I've messaged another place but haven't had a reply as yet. I'm still hopeful - but finding accommodation on the Madrid and from Sahagun to Leon is proving easier.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm provisionally OK for Pola de Gordon, am waiting for a reply 're Pajares, and am exploring options in Pola de Lena - do you have an email or website for La Payareta?

I'm provisionally OK for Pola de Gordon, am waiting for a reply 're Pajares, and am exploring options in Pola de Lena - do you have an email or website for La Payareta?
Calisteve,
For La Payareta see this info page
Whenever you do go Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Calisteve,
For La Payareta see this info page
Whenever you do go Buen camino.
Super - many thanks. I'll be able to confirm my dates on Monday and will then hopefully be able to book/reserve accommodation for all 4 nights. Then I just need to decide whether to add the Primitivo on at the end (my wife may have other plans for me).

Another option, that might be validated by someone more familiar with the Salvador, could be to organise a taxi to spend two nights in one place and be driven either back or forwards on the following day.
That’s a good idea, but I think it’s only going to be necessary for those who want a four day walk because of the potential problem in Pola de Gordón. Pola de Gordón has regular bus service back and forth to León, so that would be the cheapest way to use the “out and back” option. Or, even better, if you can get a reservation in La Robla, it’s only a 17 minute bus ride from La Robla to Pola de Gordón. And it’s on the bus line into León so there is frequent service.

there's a brand new albergue de peregrinos in Mieres, btw!
Thanks, Reb. More info on that here.

As I understand it, it’s a dorm in a university opened to pilgrims as a temporary solution while a “proper albergue” is built. Do you know anything about that?

That’s a good idea, but I think it’s only going to be necessary for those who want a four day walk because of the potential problem in Pola de Gordón. Pola de Gordón has regular bus service back and forth to León, so that would be the cheapest way to use the “out and back” option. Or, even better, if you can get a reservation in La Robla, it’s only a 17 minute bus ride from La Robla to Pola de Gordón. And it’s on the bus line into León so there is frequent service.

Thanks, Reb. More info on that here.

As I understand it, it’s a dorm in a university opened to pilgrims as a temporary solution while a “proper albergue” is built. Do you know anything about that?
they've been talking about it for years. I've not been in Mieres for a while, I will ask around.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Super - many thanks. I'll be able to confirm my dates on Monday and will then hopefully be able to book/reserve accommodation for all 4 nights. Then I just need to decide whether to add the Primitivo on at the end (my wife may have other plans for me).
I called Payareta for a friend in May and they were happy to reserve.

Pensión in Pajares uses WhatsApp.

I called Payareta for a friend in May and they were happy to reserve.

Pensión in Pajares uses WhatsApp.
Hi. First, thank you for all your help. Your experience and advice really makes our lives easier. Is the pension in Pajares that you are referring to the Posada Real de Pajares ? And if so, do I use this number to contact them on WhatsApp = 600 330 241 because I think this number is a landline. If you have a different number kindly advise.
I will start walking the San Salvador on Sept 3rd and so far I have no beds for the following places:

La Robla ( I wrote to Hostal Ordonez, twice, but no reply yet. Not sure if Pension Mundo is open or not.

Pajares.

Pola de Lena: I wrote to Hotel la Payareta but received no reply

Mieres: Emailed Hostal Pachin but yet again, no reply.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Pierre ( MALTA )

Is the pension in Pajares that you are referring to the Posada Real de Pajares ? And if so, do I use this number to contact them on WhatsApp = 600 330 241 because I think this number is a landline.
There are two private places to stay in Pajares. I called the Posada Real for a friend in May and they charge 45 euros for single room, 60 double. The pensión Mirador is up on the national road on the way through town, on top of the mesón. They have WhatsApp. 636 93 30 69 Rooms are 30, I believe.

La Robla ( I wrote to Hostal Ordonez, twice, but no reply yet. Not sure if Pension Mundo is open or not.

I have never contacted Hostal Ordoñez in La Robla, but they seem to have a mobile line listed, so I would try WhatsApp.

+34 652 92 16 30

Ender has never given me bad advice, and he told me in May that the Mundo was open. I would call. In my experience, email is not a reliable way to contact most small pensiones.

This is another place I would call if you are worried about availability. I have called to make reservations for two different people since May. They are very friendly, happy to reserve rooms for pilgrims.

The ”temporary albergue” (not an albergue really, but a university dorm) seems to be up and running, so that seems like the easiest option. Mieres will not be a problem, there are plenty of options. I stayed there a few years ago and just walked in in midsummer and easily found a pensión. It’s a large town.

But the Hostal Pachin has a contact/reservation page on their website — is that what you have filled out already? http://hostalpachin.es/reservas

Good luck! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are two private places to stay in Pajares. I called the Posada Real for a friend in May and they charge 45 euros for single room, 60 double. The pensión Mirador is up on the national road on the way through town, on top of the mesón. They have WhatsApp. 636 93 30 69 Rooms are 30, I believe.

I have never contacted Hostal Ordoñez in La Robla, but they seem to have a mobile line listed, so I would try WhatsApp.

+34 652 92 16 30

Ender has never given me bad advice, and he told me in May that the Mundo was open. I would call. In my experience, email is not a reliable way to contact most small pensiones.

This is another place I would call if you are worried about availability. I have called to make reservations for two different people since May. They are very friendly, happy to reserve rooms for pilgrims.

The ”temporary albergue” (not an albergue really, but a university dorm) seems to be up and running, so that seems like the easiest option. Mieres will not be a problem, there are plenty of options. I stayed there a few years ago and just walked in in midsummer and easily found a pensión. It’s a large town.

But the Hostal Pachin has a contact/reservation page on their website — is that what you have filled out already? http://hostalpachin.es/reservas

Laurie, once again your support is priceless. Thank you so much and I will try all the options you have recommended.
I plan to walk the Salvador to Oviedo, take a bus to Ponferrada and walk the Invierno to Santiago. This was my plan for last year but due to the Covid I had to cancel everything.

Mieres: Emailed Hostal Pachin but yet again, no reply
I stayed at Hostal Pachin. I made my reservation on booking.com

+34 652 92 16 30

You are THE Camino Angel. Fantastic.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Our favourite resting place on the Salvador was the Albergue de Peregrinos Santuario de Bendeunos, about 1.5 kms off the path via a steep uphill climb - worth every step. It’s about 15 kms walk from Pajares, so a relatively short day that gives time to relax and enjoy this peaceful place.

We were there in late September 2018. There is a listing on Wise Pilgrim website. I hope it’s still operating

Our favourite resting place on the Salvador was the Albergue de Peregrinos Santuario de Bendeunos, about 1.5 kms off the path via a steep uphill climb - worth every step. It’s about 15 kms walk from Pajares, so a relatively short day that gives time to relax and enjoy this peaceful place.

We were there in late September 2018. There is a listing on Wise Pilgrim website. I hope it’s still operating
I know that when. forum member went through in May, she was unable to stay with Sandra because she wasn’t going to be there that day. But she is up and running.

Totally agree with you. It is a really lovely place.

I know that when. forum member went through in May, she was unable to stay with Sandra because she wasn’t going to be there that day. But she is up and running.

Hi Laurie. I was just going back to my blog from that Camino to recall the lady’s name, yes Sandra! She was delightful. And made the most delicious dinner for us as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Yes that was me that missed Sandra in June. I spoke to her on the phone but she told me that her children were having their confirmation on the day I had planned to stay with her. From what I heard she only opened in July.

Update - accommodation sorted. Will be walking the Salvador after completing last year's aborted Camino de Madrid. So the plan is from Aug 8th - 18th: 4 days on the CdM, 2 days to Leon, and then 4 on the Salvador. Accommodation reserved in Pola de Gordon, Pajares, Pola de Lena and Oviedo. Would have loved to have the Primitivo tacked on at the end but my wife requires my presence here. No worries - just another one for the future.

Update - accommodation sorted. Will be walking the Salvador after completing last year's aborted Camino de Madrid. So the plan is from Aug 8th - 18th: 4 days on the CdM, 2 days to Leon, and then 4 on the Salvador. Accommodation reserved in Pola de Gordon, Pajares, Pola de Lena and Oviedo. Would have loved to have the Primitivo tacked on at the end but my wife requires my presence here. No worries - just another one for the future.
I did the same 4 stages on the Salvador in June but I was literally the only one and hence saw only a couple pilgrims when walking, most walk it in 5 days.

I hope that you have great weather as I did. The Salvador is definitely tougher than the Primitivo but the effort is worth it!

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did the same 4 stages on the Salvador in June but I was literally the only one and hence saw only a couple pilgrims when walking, most walk it in 5 days.

I hope that you have great weather as I did. The Salvador is definitely tougher than the Primitivo but the effort is worth it!

Buen Camino!
Absolutely - you gave me the idea to swop from 5 to 4 days. I didn't see any other pilgrims on the CdeM last year and only 3 on Lisbon to Porto last month. So I'm acclimatising to being 'Nobby no mates'. Crazy to think you see less fellow walkers over 3 weeks than you do in 3 minutes leaving St Jean.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Absolutely - you gave me the idea to swop from 5 to 4 days. I didn't see any other pilgrims on the CdeM last year and only 3 on Lisbon to Porto last month. So I'm acclimatising to being 'Nobby no mates'. Crazy to think you see less fellow walkers over 3 weeks than you do in 3 minutes leaving St Jean.
Yes, true. I was also alone on the Madrid (saw one pilgrim walking in the opposite direction!) except for one night where I coincided with 6 other pilgrims never to be seen again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well that’s a great bit of forum camino magic!

I’m not surprised at @Texasguy’s reaction, since his state university has the horns of a steer on its flag and calls themselves the longhorns. Too many people like you are going to ruin things for all those cattle ranchers.;)

Hi. First, thank you for all your help. Your experience and advice really makes our lives easier. Is the pension in Pajares that you are referring to the Posada Real de Pajares ? And if so, do I use this number to contact them on WhatsApp = 600 330 241 because I think this number is a landline. If you have a different number kindly advise.
I will start walking the San Salvador on Sept 3rd and so far I have no beds for the following places:

Pajares.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Pierre ( MALTA )
Hi Pierre I will be starting the San Salvador on Sept 3rd also. Perhaps we will meet up. We are staying out first night in Cabanillas at the albergue.

Hi Pierre I will be starting the San Salvador on Sept 3rd also. Perhaps we will meet up. We are staying out first night in Cabanillas at the albergue.
Hello " Canche". Thank you for your message. I will be starting the camino from Leon and am hoping to arrival in La Robla for my first night. I travel alone and you might notice me walking as I have a red backpack. We might meet along the way and say hello to each other and if not than I wish you and whoever will be walking with you a peaceful and inspiring camino. Take care.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cabanillas is a very small village. The Albergue is pristine, if open? There is no tienda or bar for food, so bring something to eat. As I recall there is a microwave in Albergue.

Cabanillas is a very small village. The Albergue is pristine, if open?
Gronze doesn’t show it as closed. That’s not a guarantee that it’s open, it just means that they haven’t been notified that it’s closed. But I did a little poking around on the gronze page, and saw that one of the “thumbs up” commentaries came from July 2021, so it seems like a pretty good bet that it is open. Buen camino to all the Salvador pilgrims, hope to be starting from León myself on September 9.

Gronze doesn’t show it as closed. That’s not a guarantee that it’s open, it just means that they haven’t been notified that it’s closed. But I did a little poking around on the gronze page, and saw that one of the “thumbs up” commentaries came from July 2021, so it seems like a pretty good bet that it is open. Buen camino to all the Salvador pilgrims, hope to be starting from León myself on September 9.
Very good detective work Laurie. The only issue then would be food, unless they get lucky like I did. ^^

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a wonderful ebook that describes the San Salvador in detail with photos. Apparently there is a bar about 2 km from Cabanillas but I will, of course, take food and some wine or little bottle of booze. :)

We have reservations at Cabanillas. It is open
I am surprised they take reservations. This is a village of about 20 people. When I walked in a man came out and gave me a cold beer. After a shower and settling in a woman knocked on the door and took me to her house where she had cooked dinner. I tried twice to give her money but she refused.

The Albergue is immaculate. Beds pull down from the wall and are comfortable. Separate men and women showers. Nice table to work on and a kitchen with a microwave.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am surprised they take reservations. This is a village of about 20 people.
Perhaps they take reservations so that they know when pilgrims are arriving. When I stayed at the albergue in La Robla there was a big sign on the wall to call the albergue in Poladura if we planned to stay there the next night.

I am surprised they take reservations. This is a village of about 20 people. When I walked in a man came out and gave me a cold beer. After a shower and settling in a woman knocked on the door and took me to her house where she had cooked dinner. I tried twice to give her money but she refused.

The Albergue is immaculate. Beds pull down from the wall and are comfortable. Separate men and women showers. Nice table to work on and a kitchen with a microwave.
Sounds great. I really do want a cold beer. I found out there is a bar about 2 km away, I guess in another village. Also they only take reservations from family members and people living in the same household due to Covid.

Perhaps they take reservations so that they know when pilgrims are arriving. When I stayed at the albergue in La Robla there was a big sign on the wall to call the albergue in Poladura if we planned to stay there the next night.
Sounds great. I really do want a cold beer. I found out there is a bar about 2 km away, I guess in another village. Also they only take reservations from family members and people living in the same household due to Covid.

Well you should have plenty of time it is only a 17km hike to Cabanillas. There are two small pueblo's a short distance further. According to Gronze they both have a bar and one has a store. This is a nice hike. I am looking forward to walking again this Fall (October) without snow.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well you should have plenty of time it is only a 17km hike to Cabanillas.
I didn't pay enough attention to eating opportunities when leaving León on a Sunday morning, and didn't have my first meal that day until I reached Cabanillas. Fortunately, I had bought a large pack of Peanut M&Ms in León which tided me over. 😄

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back