• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation recommendations GR65 Le Puy to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port ...

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy route 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2022, 2023 +
I realise that this type of thread/topic has been covered extensively over the years, but I am keen to get input from recent times ... say, for example, the past two years [2014 to 2016] ... I am interested in hearing about your favourite accommodation [gite d’etape OR chambre d’hôte] from Le Puy to StJPP, especially those places that are:
particularly comfortable or smart [but not luxurious] with:
a friendly welcome by the proprietors/hosts
good breakfast
demi-pension availability [and good, home-cooked food]
private/shared rooms OR small dormitory.

I am planning a six-week walk with a group of older people [for September 2017], walking moderate distances each day and including a number of rest days so that we can soak up the wonderful history, culture and landscapes along the path. All contributions and input very much appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I walked the GR65 from Le Puy to St. Jean and then to Santiago in five (roughly equal) stages from 2010 to 2014. the first stage was on my own and then succeeding years I was accompanied by my wife and her best friend. I found the Miam-Miam Dodo guide to be indispensable. You can buy it via Amazon. Here are two links that might be useful: http://www.longwalking.com/trail-guides-the-miam-miam-dodo/ and https://www.amazon.com/dp/2916446427/?tag=casaivar02-20.

I will post again after I get home from work to give you a few of the places I would recommend without reservation.

Buy the Miam Miam Dodo and select from its comprehensive (pretty much) choices, then go online. Places indicating that English is spoken may be helpful for your group. Generally, there is not a lot of difference between places, and that difference is usually the host, so good communication is a positive factor. Good breakfast is not possible unless you mean particularly good bread, jam, and coffee.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, my favourite gites in 2014 were:

Auvillar: Gite d'Etape Communal (spacious and modern, with about 6 single beds in each room).

Condom: Gite le Relais de St Jacques (also single beds in each room and fabulous welcome).

Arthez-de-Bearn: Gite de la Boulangerie Brousse (for the breakfast in their bakery).

Jill

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Near Mas- de-Vers, a days walk before Cahors is a very nice gite, Gite de Poudally. They served a good common meal in the evening and my best breakfast at any gite with homebaked cereal bread, homemade youghurt, cheese and jam also homemade. They made you a foodpacket for lunch too. Felt very welcome there!

By "group", I assume you are numbering more than 2-3. And you are walking in September, which is the most popular month for French walkers. Reservations well in advance will be needed, I think.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Our favourite was in Lascabanes, Gite-Chambre d'hotes L'Etape Bleue. Plan 43 in 2014 edition of MMD. Private rooms and dorms. A little shop just up the road that had everything you need if you wish to cook yourself. A great host also.

I realise that this type of thread/topic has been covered extensively over the years, but I am keen to get input from recent times ... say, for example, the past two years [2014 to 2016] ... I am interested in hearing about your favourite accommodation [gite d’etape OR chambre d’hôte] from Le Puy to StJPP, especially those places that are:
particularly comfortable or smart [but not luxurious] with:
a friendly welcome by the proprietors/hosts
good breakfast
demi-pension availability [and good, home-cooked food]
private/shared rooms OR small dormitory.

I am planning a six-week walk with a group of older people [for September 2017], walking moderate distances each day and including a number of rest days so that we can soak up the wonderful history, culture and landscapes along the path. All contributions and input very much appreciated.

I walked from Le Puy to St. Jean in the fall of 2015. It was a wonderful trip. Stayed in some great places. Everywhere listed below was good.

Le Puy. Grand Seminaire St. Georges has very inexpensive single rooms. Huge place, moody and atmospheric. Right on top of the hill in the historic center.

St Privat Allier. Gite La Cabourne is a private, clean, modern place.

Sauges. Chateau de Pelerin. Super place. The owners, Odette and Jean Claude are such nice people and the place is wonderful . Great food. Top stay.

Le Sauvage. Much has been said about this place. Gorgeous countryside, great food, fantastic remodeled old building.

Estaing . Gite Comunal. Very nicely redone old church building.

Conques. Hotel St. Jacques. Great terrace and bar/restaurant.

Decazeville. Gites Les Volets Bleu. Sat with Thierry the owner singing old New Wave songs together after dinner. Great place.

Figeac. Another Volets Bleu. Ate lamb the owner, Mouss, had just slaughtered for Eid. Nice family, cool place.

Varaire. Clos de Escoutilles. Great food and really nice management. In the country. There is a fantastic lonesome dolmen nearby.

Moissac. Gite Ultreia. Run by Engish-speakers, great food. Clean, comfortable.

Lamothe. Casa de Elena. I had the place to myself and ate with the family. Tres sympathique.

Eauze. Hotel Henri IV

Nogaro. Comunal. Nice people. Odd, modern place. Possibility of single or double rooms. Not convenient to restaurants.

Aire sur Ladoure. Hotel Paix. Straight out of "Amelie"…Atmospheric old hotel. Creaky floors, antique furniture, skeleton key. Eat at the Brasserie by the bridge. Drink floc.

Sauvelade. Gites La Petite Laa. Modern, W/D, restaurant.

Navarrenx. Hotel du Commerce. If you are tired of camaraderie by now, this is just the place. Clean, modern anonymous business hotel with restaurant.

Aroue. Boheteguia. Nice people, excellent food. Will make you a takeaway sandwich. Super place.

Ostabat. Gaineko Extea Gite. Basque owner with beret sings songs with pilgrims after dinner. Nice place.

St. Jean PdP. Hotel le Central. Comfortable, even snitzy old hotel with character in the heart of town. Bathtub to end your trip!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back