• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Sarria - Santiago in May

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
The first and last time I walked from Sarria to Santiago was in 2005. Since then I have always avoided that route by walking to Santiago via Ourense.

In the coming month of May I plan to follow the Sarria path once more, for old time's sake, this being perhaps my last camino. Being concerned about the difficulty in finding accommodation, I have just studied on Gronze the list of albergues in the various towns and villages along the Way and I am flabbergasted at the wealth of accommodation on offer! To take an example, in Villafranca del Bierzo there are eight albergues and twelve hostales/pensiones.

Would I be right to deduce from the above that, even though there will be a lot of walkers on the Way in the first half of May, it should not be too difficult to find accommodation, especially if I avoid the Brierly guide end of stages and, if need be, pay extra for a bed in a hostal or pension?

Thanks in advance for sharing your (recent) experience with me!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You'll probably get a lot of advice to book every night in advance.

But I'll say "just walk".

I've walked that section several times now since 2015, including main season (walked it july 2017, walked it august 2022, walked it may 2015) without any problem. 2019 had to skip from Ponferrada by train because I didn't have enough time, walked into an albergue in Santiago (in july!) at almost 10pm, got a bed at first albergue I tried.

The only troubles I ever had were last year, because I had a cat with me which I had found before Cebreiro, and many albergues didn't allow that of course.

But even *with* the cat I found accommodation on that path with some effort. And that was in august with the wild hordes walking in a constant conga line!

If you're fine with all kinds of accommodation (albergues including those with only mattress on the floor, pensiones, hotels...) I'd say you'll be fine, especially since you seem to be an experienced pilgrim. May is not *that* busy. I think you'll be okay.

Buen Camino peregrino!

The first and last time I walked from Sarria to Santiago was in 2005. Since then I have always avoided that route by walking to Santiago via Ourense.

In the coming month of May I plan to follow the Sarria path once more, for old time's sake, this being perhaps my last camino. Being concerned about the difficulty in finding accommodation, I have just studied on Gronze the list of albergues in the various towns and villages along the Way and I am flabbergasted at the wealth of accommodation on offer! To take an example, in Villafranca del Bierzo there are eight albergues and twelve hostales/pensiones.

Would I be right to deduce from the above that, even though there will be a lot of walkers on the Way in the first half of May, it should not be too difficult to find accommodation, especially if I avoid the Brierly guide end of stages and, if need be, pay extra for a bed in a hostal or pension?

Yes, I think that’s a reasonable deduction. Everything that’s planning on opening this year will be fully open in May and, whilst you’ll certainly not be lonely, it’s not usually the busiest time of year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hello
I walked Morgarde to SDC May/June 2022 with my son-in-law and 2 granddaughters. We did not book ahead and found accommodation every night. The only place we had to walk on from was Palas de Rei as all the alberques were pretty full and could not take 4. I would mention that this was on a particularly rainy day so I think more people decided to stop there for the day but there were several places with space within 3 to 5 kilometres.
Buen Camino
Vince

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back