• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Toledo to San Martin Veldeiglesias

sulu

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
a few since 2010
I've just walked the shortest camino ever!! I had good reasons for doing it the way I did even if I made totally the wrong decisions but I might have done things differently if my info on accommodation had been up to date so here is what I have discovered.
Rielves - parish shelter. The PP provides an annex off the church, it is very basic, there is no hot water and no shower but there are bunks for 4 and lots of blankets. (Only 1 electric plug!) The village has 2 small food shops, which close at 19.00 and 2 bars; one does food and opens at 06.00. The kind of place you are very grateful for if you are dog tired and arrive lateish. donativo
Torrijos - a super little albergue. My guide says beds and toilets so I expected the same as the above and, therefore, didn't stop here. The town has some wonderful buildings and is well worth a visit. The albergue has a hospitalero except on Sunday afternoons, I'm not sure what happens then. I was shown the albergue by the lady from the tourist Info office in the Town Hall. It is modern, has 3 or 4 bedrooms each with 1 bunk bed (i.e sleeps 2), 2 bathrooms and a kitchen with microwave and toaster. Donativo
Escalona - according to Mundicamino this is yoga mats on the floor of the school sports hall, not true. It is a big room with 2 bunk beds i.e for 4, a bathroom, an electric kettle and a microwave, though I could't work the microwave. At the other end of the room are 2 beds which I suspect are used when a child is ill and is waiting to be collected by a parent. The school cleaning ladies have the key during term time, I'm not sure about holidays. My info says the local police but they seem to be unavailable, when I asked in the library how to contact them the response was that I wouldn't be able to. free
San Martin - I went to Hostal Pilar it was €20, warm and comfortable and opens early in the morning for breakfast.
I hope this is useful

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, very helpful indeed. Notes taken for my informal "Guidebook Supplement." Thank you very much!

Regarding the albergue in Torrijas:

1) it is almost on the way out of town. I first went to the ayuntamiento (almost across the street) but was told that I would need to wait for the hospitalero who does not live on the premises. They called for me. Be patient as I had to wait for more than one hour.
2) ask not to have the water turned off. We had water in the afternoon/evening but the next morning nada! I had filled my bottles in the evening, if you forget there is a fountain in front of the ayuntamiento.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Regarding the albergue in Torrijas:

1) it is almost on the way out of town. I first went to the ayuntamiento (almost across the street) but was told that I would need to wait for the hospitalero who does not live on the premises. They called for me. Be patient as I had to wait for more than one hour.
2) ask not to have the water turned off. We had water in the afternoon/evening but the next morning nada! I had filled my bottles in the evening, if you forget there is a fountain in front of the ayuntamiento.
The lady from the Tourist Info office took me there, it took no time at all, but she did say that she has only been there since January, she was really helpful. Some times things change. I can only speak for March 2017

I've just walked the shortest camino ever!! I had good reasons for doing it the way I did even if I made totally the wrong decisions but I might have done things differently if my info on accommodation had been up to date so here is what I have discovered.
Rielves - parish shelter. The PP provides an annex off the church, it is very basic, there is no hot water and no shower but there are bunks for 4 and lots of blankets. (Only 1 electric plug!) The village has 2 small food shops, which close at 19.00 and 2 bars; one does food and opens at 06.00. The kind of place you are very grateful for if you are dog tired and arrive lateish. donativo
Torrijos - a super little albergue. My guide says beds and toilets so I expected the same as the above and, therefore, didn't stop here. The town has some wonderful buildings and is well worth a visit. The albergue has a hospitalero except on Sunday afternoons, I'm not sure what happens then. I was shown the albergue by the lady from the tourist Info office in the Town Hall. It is modern, has 3 or 4 bedrooms each with 1 bunk bed (i.e sleeps 2), 2 bathrooms and a kitchen with microwave and toaster. Donativo
Escalona - according to Mundicamino this is yoga mats on the floor of the school sports hall, not true. It is a big room with 2 bunk beds i.e for 4, a bathroom, an electric kettle and a microwave, though I could't work the microwave. At the other end of the room are 2 beds which I suspect are used when a child is ill and is waiting to be collected by a parent. The school cleaning ladies have the key during term time, I'm not sure about holidays. My info says the local police but they seem to be unavailable, when I asked in the library how to contact them the response was that I wouldn't be able to. free
San Martin - I went to Hostal Pilar it was €20, warm and comfortable and opens early in the morning for breakfast.
I hope this is useful
Hi, Sue,

Sorry to hear you are in disagreement with Camino again ;)

I have info from my 2015 Camino that Rielves and Torrijos albergues are free of charge and you wrote they're donativo. Is it really donativo? I mean, I have been to some albergues and they were donativos whilst there were nothing to put your money into...

Hostal Pilar for 20€? Well, in 2015 it was 15€ (just an info, not the experience though) with pilgrim discount.

Have a nice day, Sue!

Hi, Sue,

Sorry to hear you are in disagreement with Camino again ;)

I have info from my 2015 Camino that Rielves and Torrijos albergues are free of charge and you wrote they're donativo. Is it really donativo? I mean, I have been to some albergues and they were donativos whilst there were nothing to put your money into...

Hostal Pilar for 20€? Well, in 2015 it was 15€ (just an info, not the experience though) with pilgrim discount.

Have a nice day, Sue!
Hi K1!
In Rielves I asked how much and he said that it was at my discretion and as much or as little as I could afford. I donated, if people do he may get round to providing the shower he told m about :)
Torrijos has a donation box.
Hostal Pilar - I think it's called inflation!! I had a lovely hot shower and there was a radiator I could dry my clothes near, well worth it.
Escalona was free:)
Ciao! Sue

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back