• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

accommodation

Henrietta

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015
I'm thinking of walking from Le Puy to St Jean this September and I'm wondering whether I can just walk and find accommodation as I go, or do I need to book it in advance? When I walked from St Jean to Finisterre in 2015 I found it easy to find a bed without prior booking and this is my preferred way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Some thoughts...

September is a busy month on this route. I would reserve your first night or two, just to give yourself peace of mind, and then make a decision about whether or not to reserve - after you assess the amount of traffic on the trail and in the places you have selected to stay.

In October some places are beginning to close.

Another factor is whether the number of walkers declines after Conques. You will get a sense of that as you walk.

As you get a sense of how far you will probably walk each day, you can check your guidebook (most people carry Miam Miam Dodo) and see how many lodging options are available and how many beds they offer.

Places that offer dinner like to know, in advance, the count they will need to serve. This may be the best reason to reserve.

And, yes, I also prefer not to reserve ahead. But I have done it on this route.

Bon chemin!

Tom

The French call ahead, so you should too. Even gites d'etape reserve beds, and you may find them full. Hosts do not sit around waiting for pilgrims, though September is busy enough that they are not likely to spontaneously take a week off. There may be beds, but you may have to wander town looking for them. The tourist offices can help, but by the afternoon, they may have problems finding a bed for you. There is a lot less infrastructure than on the Camino Frances, and stages are longer. Often there is no option for walking another 5km for a bed. If you have problems with speaking French on the phone, your host can help you. It is not necessary for make reservations more than a day or two ahead, and in the larger places with hotels, you probably can just show up. However, if you don't do it the French way, you may be in for surprises. By the way, a camping location is not like the U.S. It is likely to have tents, cabins, yurts, or caravans. Bon chemin.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The easiest thing to do is: use Miam Miam Dodo to identify your desired lodging for the next night, and ask your host tonight to call ahead for you. The hosts generally know each other, and they speak French with the local accent. Book one day ahead, or two days ahead for the weekend. Always ask for demi-pension (if your budget can take it). And also ask if the boulangerie or epicerie will be open.

I left Le Puy early April 2016. This seemed to be a popular time with many small groups wlaking for a week or fortnight as part of their annual leave.

Having no French I asked my hosy to ring ahead. But only on two occassions. The last was to book a place in the Parochial gite in Saint-Jean.

I had no trouble getting a bed each night, despite arriving mid to late afternoon. On three occassions there were just two of us and once just me.

And despite having no French I was usually able to participate in, or at the least follow, the chat at meals.

And despite having no singing voice, on several iccassions persuaded the company to give a song from their culture.

A most enjoyable jaunt in all respects.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get moving)

Some thoughts...

September is a busy month on this route. I would reserve your first night or two, just to give yourself peace of mind, and then make a decision about whether or not to reserve - after you assess the amount of traffic on the trail and in the places you have selected to stay.

In October some places are beginning to close.

Another factor is whether the number of walkers declines after Conques. You will get a sense of that as you walk.

As you get a sense of how far you will probably walk each day, you can check your guidebook (most people carry Miam Miam Dodo) and see how many lodging options are available and how many beds they offer.

Places that offer dinner like to know, in advance, the count they will need to serve. This may be the best reason to reserve.

And, yes, I also prefer not to reserve ahead. But I have done it on this route.

Bon chemin!

Tom

Thanks, all your replies are really helpful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back