• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation?

Wayfarer1

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
So I guess I'm seeking reassurances...I'm walking the Camino from about the 22nd May for a month, I'm walking from Burgos, and aiming for anywhere from 12km to 20, depending on the day, but I'm aiming to be finding accommodation by 2.00 in the afternoon...however I've been reading posts recently thigh that comment on the busyness of the route and potential challenges of finding a bed. I'm not fussy about sleeping in the bigger dorm rooms, and I'd like to avoid booking more than half-a day in advance if possible, so people think it's doable to just wing it?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
so people think it's doable to just wing it?

Many do, so I guess it’s doable. May is one of the busier months on the Francés, but your chances improve if you are flexible and willing to stay in the “non-official” places (those that are not stage-points in the guidebooks) and willing to perhaps walk on to the next village if all is full where you initially wanted to stay.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bookers will book, chancers will chance it...
What's different about this year is that so far, the numbers have been very high, close to record levels, and may get higher still as people who delayed plans because of COVID decide 2023 is the year it is safe to return.
What's in your favour for winging it is that you are starting at a point where there's plenty of accommodation. And quite a lot of fast people will walk Burgos-Hontanas-Fromista, so pressure is reduced at Hornillos and Castrojeriz and other small places between. I think that gives you some licence to try out the 'winging it' approach and see how you get on. Whether it still works after Leon, or from Sarria is another matter - but you'll be a seasoned pilgrim by then 🙃 and able to make decisions based on what you have learned..

"... but your chances improve if you are flexible and willing to stay in the “non-official” places (those that are not stage-points in the guidebooks) and willing to perhaps walk on to the next village if all is full where you initially wanted to stay."

In addition to lodging places at non-traditional stopping points right on the CF, there are others that are off to the side. If such a place is too far away to walk to, one may simply take a taxi there, and in the morning take a taxi back to where you left CF. There is nothing wrong with doing that.

It might be prudent to carry a mobile phone and also take note, in advance, of local taxi-cab company phone numbers per e.g. Google Maps searches and/or the colourful taxi company stickers that in certain areas sometimes blossom on power poles and sign-posts along The Way.

Despite what the alarmists like to say, numbers so far for this year for the part of the Camino where you are starting are normal for the four years preceding Covid and no one knows what the rest of the year will be like although some people on this forum think that they can see the future.

If you are flexible and resourceful then you are unlikely to have any problems.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I, too, am walking the Frances in May. This will be my third time and I only book my first night for arriving after a long day travelling and my last night for getting up early for a flight home. Listening to some pilgrims can make me feel anxious about finding a bed but although I have come close to fully booked hostels, I have always found a bed without booking. Trust the Camino. Winging it adds to the intrigue and you can walk or stop whenever you feel like it. Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Walked out of Burgos May 28th last year. Did pretty long days, so usually i arrived well past 2pm, sometimes as late as 5.30pm. Did not have an issue winging it, but chose to have a few reservations nontheless at certain places (like my private Airbnb in Leon as a treat to myself). No idea if numbers will be higher this year, but from my experience you'll likely be fine.

So I guess I'm seeking reassurances...I'm walking the Camino from about the 22nd May for a month, I'm walking from Burgos, and aiming for anywhere from 12km to 20, depending on the day, but I'm aiming to be finding accommodation by 2.00 in the afternoon...however I've been reading posts recently thigh that comment on the busyness of the route and potential challenges of finding a bed. I'm not fussy about sleeping in the bigger dorm rooms, and I'd like to avoid booking more than half-a day in advance if possible, so people think it's doable to just wing it?
I’ve done exactly what you describe here in May-June without issues or problems. My goal each day was to arrive no later than 2:00 and I usually was able to get into my first or second choice. Sometimes third. Many towns have that one large municipal or church albergue that has many beds and doesn’t accept reservations. That would be my back-up in case my choices weren’t available. I found that even if a popular albergue with fewer beds is “booked out” if you show up when they open (usually 1 or 2 pm) you can often get a bed due to cancellations. One advantage of being there before, say 3 pm is that you may be one of the early birds and will be able to get your choice of upper or lower bunk.

One tactic that I would keep in reserve while traveling without reservations is to have a backup-backup plan in case there truly are no available beds in a town. Almost all of the towns will have a smaller town 5-7 km further down the line where there is at least one albergue. In that case I would phone them ahead and see if I could reserve a bed for the night. And start walking.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
One tactic that I would keep in reserve while traveling without reservations is to have a backup-backup plan in case there truly are no available beds in a town. Almost all of the towns will have a smaller town 5-7 km further down the line where there is at least one albergue. In that case I would phone them ahead and see if I could reserve a bed for the night. And start walking.
And the hospitalero at the albergue/hostal who says they are full is likely willing to help make that phone call. They may know of other options also.

I make sure my budget will allow for an “emergency expensive bed” and then try to never spend it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
2pm arrival is good, but I turned up early at an Albergue once only to be confronted with a pile of suitcases and the news that if these people don’t arrive by 4pm, I might get in. I would book ahead these days. It’s just a phone call and gives peace of mind. BTW I had to walk another 8kms for a bed that night. Just ring the day bef or in the morning and set yourself up

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.