• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

accommodations along the way from Le Puy

StephK

Time of past OR future Camino
July 1st 2023
Hello,
I have emailed a ton of locations along the way from Le Puy, France to reserve a place to stay, which has proven to be extremely hard with language barriers and many people do not have any openings on the dates we need. Is there an easier way that I do not know about to book directly online for some of the accommodations? If there is a website or another resource I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much

steph

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only website I know is Gronze:
Sometimes hospitaleros do not like to admit bookings too long before.
We are a number of french-speaking members here: feel free to ask us (possibly by private message) if you want a message translation or any help to prepare your Camino on Via Podiensis.

Hello,
I have emailed a ton of locations along the way from Le Puy, France to reserve a place to stay, which has proven to be extremely hard with language barriers and many people do not have any openings on the dates we need. Is there an easier way that I do not know about to book directly online for some of the accommodations? If there is a website or another resource I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much

steph
I sympathize because I just went through the same ordeal on the Chemin du Stevenson earlier this month.

However, if you're not walking in May, the busiest month of the year by far in France because of the many holidays, it's really not a problem booking just a day or two in advance. That's what we did, without difficulty, when we walked the Le Puy route in September - October, 2019, and during the first week there were 6 of us.

Also, it's better to telephone (using WhatsApp) because the French are not that great responding to emails. Even if you don't know French, you just need to learn a few simple phrases, like "Do you have a place (2 places) available tomorrow night?"

Plus, Miam Miam Dodo will identify all the places that speak English. It is the ONLY guidebook worth a damn, and even though it's in French, it's almost entirely symbols, so it's very easy to use. And it's got a great stage -planning device.

Good luck, and Bon Chemin.

Gronze is also helpful, as Pafayac says above, but it doesn't have the wealth of information as does MMD. Use both!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @StephK just following on from the other replies - I am living on the Le Puy Way at present, in Lectoure, and am going to walk just a few stages in our area next week. This morning I phoned my first choice gites in Auvillar and in Miradoux and was able to get my choice of a private room or dormitory in both. Not that it helps you - and it’s easy for me phoning from here - but it may bear out what both @Pafayac and @andycohn have written.

When are you planning to walk?

Hello,

steph
I agree that Miam Miam Dodo is the one guide worth having. I have experienced going to Booking.com and finding everything filled up, but upon arriving, find that is not true at all. I would also suggest What's App. You can send text messages (use Google translate to help, although understanding English is easier when printed, too), as well as make calls, and you're more likely to get an answer. Once in France, I have always found hosts or other pilgrims willing to call for me to book a night or two ahead. At least in the past, that was all the advance planning necessary except perhaps on busy holiday weekends. Even then, someone has always managed to find a place for me when I just show up...there are still people who walk with no phones...I have yet to sleep outside!

It is best to all. Even if you don't speak French well, they are used to pilgrims from elsewhere that don't necessarily speak fluent French. It is busy right now and many of the gîte owners don't really have time for emailing at the moment,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @StephK just following on from the other replies - I am living on the Le Puy Way at present, in Lectoure, and am going to walk just a few stages in our area next week. This morning I phoned my first choice gites in Auvillar and in Miradoux and was able to get my choice of a private room or dormitory in both. Not that it helps you - and it’s easy for me phoning from here - but it may bear out what both @Pafayac and @andycohn have written.

When are you planning to walk?
Thank you so much for that info! We are starting our walk July 1st starting in Le puy. we have gotten some responses but we are afraid especially in the 1st 5 days the options are a bit more limited and in the smaller locations we are wanting to stop we have not had much luck. fingers crossed when we arrive we will be able to get into a gite.
thank you
steph

Thank you so much for that info! We are starting our walk July 1st starting in Le puy. we have gotten some responses but we are afraid especially in the 1st 5 days the options are a bit more limited and in the smaller locations we are wanting to stop we have not had much luck. fingers crossed when we arrive we will be able to get into a gite.
thank you
steph
Steph, July is not a busy month on this route. May and September are the two busiest months

I don’t speak French but did this route awhile back. I did not book anything ahead I was Alone until Cahors then a group of 4 was naturally formed one French one Dutch one Québécois and one Irish. We were the 4 musketeers a region you will pass through. One of the greatest adventures I have been on!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
thank you
steph
Le Puy is a beautiful town and it’s a wonderful path. Starting from the top of the cathedral steps is really something.

If you are staying a night in Lectoure, I’d happy to say bonjour. It’s a lovely town. Just send me a PM if you like and I’ll give you my number.

Bon chemin

Le Puy is a beautiful town and it’s a wonderful path. Starting from the top of the cathedral steps is really something.

If you are staying a night in Lectoure, I’d happy to say bonjour. It’s a lovely town. Just send me a PM if you like and I’ll give you my number.

Bon chemin
Thank you so much! I do not believe I will be staying in that town but so appreciate the reach out.
Steph

Steph, July is not a busy month on this route. May and September are the two busiest months
Hi, you mentioned May as being busy, is it similar to the Francis? Is there a way to find out how many hike the Le Puy each month?
Thank you,
B Squared

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, you mentioned May as being busy, is it similar to the Francis? Is there a way to find out how many hike the Le Puy each month?
Thank you,
B Squared
The Le Puy route is about 1/10 as busy as the Francés in Spain, but has much less infrastructure. Gîtes d étape hold about 10-12 people and there are a lot fewer of them along this route, although it is the most walked of the French camino routes. Statistics are anecdotal as most walkers are French or francophone and are only walking for a week or two at a time. They may takes several years to complete the walk and many only walk from Le Puy to Conques, as the latter is a destination in itself. May is the month with the most holidays and the French like to bridge the holidays, hence the extreme business. The feedback from gîte owners is that May, followed by September, are the busiest months. The season starts in April and ends mid-October. After that seasonal gîtes and restaurants and bag transport services close for the season. It can be too hot to walk in July and August. It has gotten busier post-pandemic. As the French tend to book--at least a day or two in advance booking is recommended, even further out for the first few days out of Le Puy-en-Velay. The gîte owners tend not to want to take reservations too far out [they want to make sure that people are not double-booking and are going to show up] and prefer that they be done by phone. There are few restaurants and places to eat,, especially in the smaller villages, so taking the demi-pension is recommended. If you opt for the demi-pension, your host will need to know in advance for planning purposes. France is definitely not like Spain.

Last edited:
As @jouffroy47 says many French (and, I'd add, other European) walkers make their pilgrimage a week or two at a time - a long term commitment over many years. The next year they pick up where they left off. In addition, there are non pilgrim hikers who walk sections of the GR65/Chemin du Puy.

Part of the reason that makes May a particularly busy month is that there are usually three Mondays in May that are public holidays in France - making three long weekends. These are good opportunities for people to string together vacation time - whether they are walking as pilgrims or as general hikers.

I would embrace the idea of calling a day or two in advance, rather than weeks or months ahead, for all the reasons that @jouffroy47 explains.

It's a beautiful path. Bon chemin.

Last edited:
As @jouffroy47 says many French (and, I'd add, other European) walkers make their pilgrimage a week or two at a time - a long term commitment over many years. The next year they pick up where they left off. In addition, there are non pilgrim hikers who walk sections of the GR65/Chemin du Puy.

This is part of the reason that makes May a busy month. There are usually three Mondays in May that are public holidays in France - making three long weekends. These are good opportunities for people to string together vacation time - whether they are walking as pilgrims or as general hikers.

I would embrace the idea of calling a day or two in advance, rather than weeks or months ahead, for all the reasons that @jouffroy47 explains.

It's a beautiful path. Bon chemin.
I appreciate all your information. From what you said we will move our start from May 1, up to mid-May. Maybe try to miss a couple of those holiday weekends.
Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back