• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations and other info on Bilbao

peregrina2000

Staff member
A group of us has started a detailed planning thread for the Camino Olvidado, which starts in Bilbao and goes southwest to near Ponferrada. I haven’t started posting the walking stages yet, since we are still focused on the city of Bilbao itself.

I have never slept in a Bilbao albergue, because I have a couple of favorite small family-run pensiones that are clean and cost around 25€ for room and private bath.

But since Bilbao is also on the Norte, I’m posting this for the broader forum community to see if any of you have recommendations or ideas — for restaurants, hotels, things to do.... If so, post them on our Olvidado thread.

And just in case you are wondering, the Olvidado is IMO the hands down best for mountain walking of any Camino I have walked, so feel free to come along with us on the thread!

Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A group of us has started a detailed planning thread for the Camino Olvidado, which starts in Bilbao and goes southwest to near Ponferrada. I haven’t started posting the walking stages yet, since we are still focused on the city of Bilbao itself.

I have never slept in a Bilbao albergue, because I have a couple of favorite small family-run pensiones that are clean and cost around 25€ for room and private bath.

But since Bilbao is also on the Norte, I’m posting this for the broader forum community to see if any of you have recommendations or ideas — for restaurants, hotels, things to do.... If so, post them on our Olvidado thread.

And just in case you are wondering, the Olvidado is IMO the hands down best for mountain walking of any Camino I have walked, so feel free to come along with us on the thread!

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Laurie. Will follow with interest! Have a flight to Bilbao in early May with a view to doing Norte if restrictions allow but will follow this alternative with interest!

Bilbao is one of my favorite cities and I've stayed there coming or going during three separate legs of the Camino Frances. I would recommend staying at the Petit Palace Arana Hotel. It's on the trolley line and near the plaza of shops and restaurants. It's also walking distance to the outdoor market where you will find vendors of various types selling their goods. Further down the walk is the incredible Guggenheim Museum of Art and the gigantic outdoor sculpture of "La Arana" (giant spider). There you will find a restaurant/bar and outdoor musicians.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bilbao is one of my favorite cities and I've stayed there coming or going during three separate legs of the Camino Frances. I would recommend staying at the Petit Palace Arana Hotel. It's on the trolley line and near the plaza of shops and restaurants. It's also walking distance to the outdoor market where you will find vendors of various types selling their goods. Further down the walk is the incredible Guggenheim Museum of Art and the gigantic outdoor sculpture of "La Arana" (giant spider). There you will find a restaurant/bar and outdoor musicians.
I intend to visit Bilbao on my Norte if I ever get to walk it. You mention the spider... sculptor is Louise Bourgeois, and she has similar spiders in other locations. We have “the mother” outside the national gallery in Ottawa. I think it would be interesting and fun to travel to all the Bourgeois installation sites and collect photos of all her spiders.

There was not a lot around the airport when we visited Bilbao in The Spring of 2019. We came in by Train to Abando-Bilbao Station. The stain glass window itself was a treat and welcome surprise. We did not have much time,so we walked around the river area for a while, before taking a cab to the airport. I lamented not having more time to stay in Bilbao. It cost about 25 euros then for us to get to the Holiday Inn Express Airport Hotel which was convenient for our early morning flight. The HIE served breakfast but that is it. There is a bar where you can buy snacks. Rooms were clean and spacious and there is an elevator and air-con. But if you stay there without a car, eat before you arrive, or bring your own food.

I stayed at Poshtel in Bilbao when I did the Norte in 2018. Great location about half a block from the Guggenheim. It has very nice lounge areas for guests, laundry, its own bar/restaurant. About a 20minute riverside stroll to old town. I found a good mix of ages in the hostel and great staff. Safe area of the city as well. Not too noisy at night either. https://www.poshtelbilbao.com/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a newer hostel, Optimi Rooms, with space age sleeping modules. I haven't stayed there yet but I had reservations for a trip in 2020, they are honoring a voucher I prepaid. it is not far from the bus depot and near public transportation.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.