• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations and Services on the Le Puy Route

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi all,

I'm pleased to share a new resource I've been working on, with support from @BlackRocker57. It’s a near-comprehensive spreadsheet, laying out all pilgrim-focused or pilgrim-adjacent accommodations on the Via Podiensis, including the Célé Valley and Rocamadour variants, as well as the two connecting routes to the Camino del Norte, the GR10 and Voie Nive Bidassoa. At the bottom of the sheet, you can also click over from the “Accommodations” tab to the “Services” tab, where I’m compiling bakeries, groceries, cafés, gear shops, and tourism offices along the way. There’s still a lot to fill in on that sheet, particularly with regards to opening hours in 2022, but that will trickle in over the next few months.

Here's the link: Le Puy / Via Podiensis Accommodations and Services

If you spot any errors, omissions, or other issues, I'd love to get feedback, either directly in response here or through a form I'm using to compile responses, linked in the spreadsheet's heading. Note that while I'm striving for comprehensiveness with pilgrim-focused accommodations, I'm not trying to exhaustively list every café or bakery in Cahors or Moissac! With the services, my priority is to capture all of the singleton grocery/bakeries/cafés in small villages, where you're really reliant on accessibility, and then to just sprinkle in some options in larger places. If you had a great experience at a place not listed, even in a larger town, I'd be more than happy to add it to the list.

Happy planning!
Dave

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow @Dave that's a very impressive spreadsheet, fabulous info. This route has been on my bucket list for quite some time but it probably won't be walked this year (plans to do VdlP). Thanks for all your hard work :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,

I'm pleased to share a new resource I've been working on, with support from @BlackRocker57. It’s a near-comprehensive spreadsheet, laying out all pilgrim-focused or pilgrim-adjacent accommodations on the Via Podiensis, including the Célé Valley and Rocamadour variants, as well as the two connecting routes to the Camino del Norte, the GR10 and Voie Nive Bidassoa. At the bottom of the sheet, you can also click over from the “Accommodations” tab to the “Services” tab, where I’m compiling bakeries, groceries, cafés, gear shops, and tourism offices along the way. There’s still a lot to fill in on that sheet, particularly with regards to opening hours in 2022, but that will trickle in over the next few months.

If you spot any errors, omissions, or other issues, I'd love to get feedback, either directly in response here or through a form I'm using to compile responses, linked in the spreadsheet's heading. Note that while I'm striving for comprehensiveness with pilgrim-focused accommodations, I'm not trying to exhaustively list every café or bakery in Cahors or Moissac! With the services, my priority is to capture all of the singleton grocery/bakeries/cafés in small villages, where you're really reliant on accessibility, and then to just sprinkle in some options in larger places. If you had a great experience at a place not listed, even in a larger town, I'd be more than happy to add it to the list.

Happy planning!
Dave
Lobor of love! Thank you so much!

Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
Wow! Thank you so much!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow!! Thanks Dave this will be very helpful. Hope that you are well and work at school is still rewarding for you.

Gary

Last edited:
Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
Great work. Hope to be able to put it to good use sometime in the not too distant future. With all my optimistic planning, regardless of birthdays, that should be in 5 + or - years?

Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
Thank you so much, Dave. My hubby and I will be walking from Le Puy next May and I’m sure it will come in very handy. Merry Christmas🎄, Carol and Phil

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Excellent work Dave and BlackRocker57, this will make my Via Podiensis in May 2022 so much smoother.
Mind you, the weeks of work I've put into planning it so far seem to now have been a waste of time :)

I'd love to get feedback

@Dave, a simply brilliant piece of work.

I tried something similar before I left, using guide books available to me. But no where near as comprehensive as you have achieved.

The feed back I would give is:
a) have you considered showing km between each locality listed and the cumulative km
b) elevation for each locality listed

I would be happy to assist with providing you with either/both of these.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
This is a wonderful resource
We walked it in 2014 and had very limited information.
Such a thoughtful project
🙏
Mark

Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
thank-you!

Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
WOWOW. Amazing. Incredible detailed work. Must have spent many hours on this. Thank you for sharing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
Hi Dave. This is fantastic thank you and appreciate all the work you have put in. It’s amazing.
We are Aussies and are desperate to get back walking. Our last trip was in 19 where we walked the st Francis of Assisi path Florence to Rome which I could highly recommend. It’s a little bit difficult and definitely remote but wonderful - walking through Tuscany. It takes about 20 days.
We are hoping to do Le Puy in late March early April. [ we can catch COVID at the local grocery store so see no reason not to get on a plane) I am 69 and DAN my husband 73 so time is going fast.
We did it in 2015 and just loved it so your research is fabulous thank you.
Do you think we will have much difficulty finding accommodation? And I am assuming sleeping bags would be a must?
Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated
Anne

I think you'll be fine! Keep an eye on the Easter holiday, of course, and make sure you're covered through that stretch. (A good time for demi-pension, not that there's ever a bad time!) A number of accommodations don't open until after that, but you should have more than enough accommodation options to meet your needs. Many of the snack bars seem to be more oriented towards peak walking times, so food options may be more limited mid-walk. That's the biggest thing I'd be mindful of. I'll be filling that part of the spreadsheet out more over the next few months.

Hope the weather's good!
Dave

Hi all,

I'm pleased to share a new resource I've been working on, with support from @BlackRocker57. It’s a near-comprehensive spreadsheet, laying out all pilgrim-focused or pilgrim-adjacent accommodations on the Via Podiensis, including the Célé Valley and Rocamadour variants, as well as the two connecting routes to the Camino del Norte, the GR10 and Voie Nive Bidassoa.
Dave, @BlackRocker57, thank you so much! I'll be beginning at Le Puy around April 1st and I'm sure this will be invaluable!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Dave and @BlackRocker57 What a fabulous resource. Thank you. We love the Le Puy way and will surely walk it again before too long.

Can you rustle one up for the Chemin du Piemont in time for our April camino? Just joking 😎

Just an update for you. You correctly noted Gite Lou Parpahlou in red as for sale. The owners are friends of ours and we exchanged emails the other day. I can let you know that it’s no longer operating as a gite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came down the Le Puy route in 2018. I imagine it’s similar. Many of the gîtes were rural and so booking your meals with them was a must. However even in the more urban areas I booked Demi-pension as the meals were excellent and the camaraderie around the table was wonderful. The French etiquette á table is more formal than in Spain but was definitely part of the fun. No wine before the soup, fill your neighbor’s glass before yours, never offer superlatives concerning the food , better to say “the cheese is interesting but in my village we would ferment the cheese in a goat’s belly for 14 days before serving”.If your French is weak prepare in advance a few food questions , the French will fill in the rest.

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine! Keep an eye on the Easter holiday, of course, and make sure you're covered through that stretch. (A good time for demi-pension, not that there's ever a bad time!) A number of accommodations don't open until after that, but you should have more than enough accommodation options to meet your needs. Many of the snack bars seem to be more oriented towards peak walking times, so food options may be more limited mid-walk. That's the biggest thing I'd be mindful of. I'll be filling that part of the spreadsheet out more over the next few months.

Hope the weather's good!
Dave
Thanks so much for your response. And yes I know Easter will be a problem. We hope to plan this trip as tightly as we can and not just wing it as we normally do. We will definitely be keeping a close eye on your excellent spread sheet.
Thanks again
Anne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just an update for you. You correctly noted Gite Lou Parpahlou in red as for sale. The owners are friends of ours and we exchanged emails the other day. I can let you know that it’s no longer operating as a gite.
We enjoyed our night at Lou Parpahlou in 2018. Laurence was a very welcoming host.

Hi Dave. This is fantastic thank you and appreciate all the work you have put in. It’s amazing.
We are Aussies and are desperate to get back walking. Our last trip was in 19 where we walked the st Francis of Assisi path Florence to Rome which I could highly recommend. It’s a little bit difficult and definitely remote but wonderful - walking through Tuscany. It takes about 20 days.
We are hoping to do Le Puy in late March early April. [ we can catch COVID at the local grocery store so see no reason not to get on a plane) I am 69 and DAN my husband 73 so time is going fast.
We did it in 2015 and just loved it so your research is fabulous thank you.
Do you think we will have much difficulty finding accommodation? And I am assuming sleeping bags would be a must?
Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated
Anne
Bonjour Annie! the only issue you might have at the beginning [late March / early April] is finding places that are open but as you will see from the list a good number are open all year BUT you will need to call ahead, perhaps a day or two just to be sure that your hosts are there to welcome you. No need for sleeping bags on the Le Puy route unless you particularly want to carry one. What style of accommodation do you prefer? Shared rooms and shared facilities in a gîte d’étape OR a private room to yourselves [with or without shared bathroom facilities]?? Apols for the cross-posting …

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @BlackRocker57 What a fabulous resource. Thank you. We love the Le Puy way and will surely walk it again before too long.

Can you rustle one up for the Chemin du Piemont in time for our April camino? Just joking 😎

thanks for the update anamcara … duly noted! Has the gîte actually been sold?

Hope the weather's good!
Dave
something else to do 👍🤣

Thanks so much for your response. And yes I know Easter will be a problem. We hope to plan this trip as tightly as we can and not just wing it as we normally do. We will definitely be keeping a close eye on your excellent spread sheet.
Thanks again
Anne
if and when you want some specific recommendations for accommodations at particular places, I may be able to help you …

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I came down the Le Puy route in 2018. Many of the gîtes were rural and so booking your meals with them was a must. However even in the more urban areas I booked Demi-pension as the meals were excellent and the camaraderie around the table was wonderful. The French etiquette á table is more formal than in Spain but was definitely part of the fun. No wine before the soup, fill your neighbor’s glass before yours, never offer superlatives concerning the food , better to say “the cheese is interesting but in my village we would ferment the cheese in a goat’s belly for 14 days before serving” it. If your French is weak prepare in advance a few food questions , the French will fill in the rest.
The approach to meals in France is indeed wonderful, as is the hospitality and of course the food and wine. A meal is something to be shared and to take your time enjoying with family, friends and guests. I would describe the approach not so much as 'formal' but as a practice of 'l'art de la table' .

One definition is the art of preparing and presenting a meal in elegance and conviviality. And it applies to the simplest of foods. The French typically take pride in preparation and presentation even in the way a baguette and half a dozen croissants are placed directly on the table - who needs plates when you have those wonderful 'oil cloth' tablecloths so common in France.

In my experience, I think the French are very pleased to receive positive comments about their food and wine. Even if they gently dismiss this with a show of modesty - I suspect they would be happy on the inside. Sometimes their approach to food and wine can be interpreted as 'chauvin' but I have come to see that is just a reflection of their genuine appreciation of good food and wine and their own culture. One thing from the description from @BombayBill that resonates if to fill your neighbour's glass before yours. Always.

Until I walked the Le Puy Way in 2014, I had only visited some of the larger tourist destinations in France. I had no appreciation of the culture or way of life. Happily I have learned more since then - having married a Frenchman who, coincidentally, I met on the Le Puy Way. He does all the cooking in our household - a good outcome for us both.

We are looking forward to finally returning to France in late March. Fingers and toes crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dave, a simply brilliant piece of work.

I tried something similar before I left, using guide books available to me. But no where near as comprehensive as you have achieved.

The feed back I would give is:
a) have you considered showing km between each locality listed and the cumulative km
b) elevation for each locality listed

I would be happy to assist with providing you with either/both of these.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)
Thanks Alwyn, am not sure how we can integrate that info. into a spreadsheet [as it stands] BUT I have done exactly that in my «track notes» … just completed after many, many months of work … in the process of updating some details with accurate 2022 data before I foist it on interested podiensists / Le Puy route enthusiasts 😉

The approach to meals in France is wonderful, as is the hospitality and of course the food and wine. I would describe the approach not so much as 'formal' but a practice of 'l'art de la table' . One definition is the art of preparing and presenting a meal in elegance and conviviality. A meal is something to be shared and to take your time. And it applies to the simplest of foods. The French typically take pride in preparation and presentation even in the way a baguette and half a dozen croissants are placed directly on the table - who needs plates when you have those wonderful 'oil cloth' tablecloths so common in France.

In my experience, I think the French are very happy to receive positive comments about their food and wine. Even if they gently dismiss this with a show of modesty - I suspect they would be happy on the inside. One thing from the description from @BombayBill that resonates if to always fill your neighbour's glass before yours.

Until I walked the Le Puy Way in 2014, I had only visited some of the larger tourist destinations in France. I had no appreciation of the culture or way of life. Happily I have learned more now - having married a Frenchman who, coincidentally, I met on the Le Puy Way. He does all the cooking in our household - a good outcomes for us both.

No, not sold - Laurence and Patrice decided to keep the property but they are no longer operating the gite.
many thanks for that anamcara🙏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
thanks for the update anamcara … duly noted! Has the gîte actually been sold?
Not sold - but the owners are using the property now for another purpose. And, happily, this new chapter of their lives after almost 10 years welcoming pilgrims, is giving them more freedom to walk on the Way in France and elsewhere.

Not sold - but the owners are using the property now for another purpose. And, happily, this new chapter of their lives after almost 10 years welcoming pilgrims, is giving them more freedom to walk on the Way in France and elsewhere.
👍 wonderful to hear … 10 years is a long time …

We enjoyed our night at Lou Parpahlou in 2018. Laurence was a very welcoming host.
She really is a charming woman. We have become friends now with she and Patrice. My first meeting with them both was when I walked 8 days on the Le Puy Way by myself when we were living nearby while Domi stayed home minding our petit chien. My first night was at Gite Lou Parpahlou. Our friendship developed and Domi and I later took care of the gite - in August 2018 - so Laurence and Patrice could have a week off. Wonderful experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
Wow…this is fantastic!….my friend and I plan to walk a section of the Via Podiensis this summer and since we only want to walk approx 15 kms per day (we are in our mid sixties) it has been difficult finding a comprehensive resource to help us map out accommodations accordingly. This is perfect…thank you soooooo much Dave and @BlackRocker57!
Tracey

Wow…this is fantastic!….my friend and I plan to walk a section of the Via Podiensis this summer and since we only want to walk approx 15 kms per day (we are in our mid sixties) it has been difficult finding a comprehensive resource to help us map out accommodations accordingly. This is perfect…thank you soooooo much Dave and @BlackRocker57!
Tracey
Perfect. Thnx a lot for sharing

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Dave @BlackRocker57

Since you asked to report errors ect: the campsite in Béduer is still on your list, but it seems to be permanently closed now. From what I read on their website the owners have retired: https://www.camping-pech-ibert.com/.

Just in case you're still updating your amazing ressource :)

@Dave @BlackRocker57

Since you asked to report errors ect: the campsite in Béduer is still on your list, but it seems to be permanently closed now. From what I read on their website the owners have retired: https://www.camping-pech-ibert.com/.

Just in case you're still updating your amazing ressource :)
Dang! I was just there last summer. Sorry to hear that, but also happy for them. I hope they're able to find a buyer who will carry it forward. It's a nice little spot.

Thanks for the update!

Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
That is a fabulous spreadsheet for lodgings. What a lot of work. thanks.
I am new to the list and my partner and I (72 and 78 years old) are walking our second section of the Via Podiensis in June. We end up in Conques and I am having the devil's own time finding a way out of there hoping eventually to end up in a train station with a train to Paris.
Any suggestions?
Vibs

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HI Vibs Conques is a bit tricky to arrive to or leave from. This website may be helfpul.

Bon chemin

@vibs maybe the compostel'bus back to LePuy is an option? Then from Le Puy via Lyon to Paris by train.

I used it to skip two short sections in 2017 and it was very easy, just bought the ticket in the bus. For a return trip Conques-Le Puy it would probably be wise to book in advance, because many french hikers only walk Le Puy-Conques and I can imagine that there might be high demand.

Last edited:
@vibs maybe the compostel'bus back to LePuy is an option? Then from Le Puy via Lyon to Paris by train.

I used it to skip two short sections in 2017 and it was very easy, just bought the ticket in the bus. For a return trip Conques-Le Puy it would probably be wise to book in advance, because many french hikers only walk Le Puy-Conques and I can imagine that there might be high demand.
Agreed--this approach works great. You can catch the Compostel'bus or the La Malle Postale shuttle back towards Le Puy or southward to Figeac/Decazeville and pick up the train from there.

Thanks so much for this valuable tool, using it now to fill in some scheduling holes!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
Thank you so very much for providing this valuable resource. I am travelling a section of the Le Puy route next week and plan to complete in the future. I have pre-ordered your guidebook, look forward to reading.

Interesting, and good stuff.

I'll never travel that route, simply because I live so close to a different one, but from using some similar resources on my own Caminos, I'd say :

I think Km distances would be more helpful than Stage numbers.

And, extra work certainly, but a Web page layout would be greatly useful !!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
Dave, others: We are considering walking the Cele variant route from west to east, Cahors to Figeac. Does it make sense to aim for the same towns to stop in walking this direction as going east to west, the normal path?

€83,-
Dave, others: We are considering walking the Cele variant route from west to east, Cahors to Figeac. Does it make sense to aim for the same towns to stop in walking this direction as going east to west, the normal path?
There are a few decisions to sort out on your end that will influence this. a) Which branch of the GR36 do you want to follow out of Cahors (the shorter, Lot-side track, or up over Mont-Saint-Cyr)? b) Do you want to detour to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie? c) Do you want to visit the caves at Pech-Merle?

The answers to those questions, along with your personal comfort level, will dictate some choices. For example, it's possible to do a longer day straight through from Cahors to Saint-Cirq via the Lot, but (especially if you're doing Mont-Saint-Cyr) it may be more comfortable to split the walk in Vers/Béars or Pasturat. And depending on where/if you split the walk, and the optimal time for scheduling Pech Merle, it might make sense to overnight in Saint-Cirq or to just push onto the caves, then sleep in Cabrerets.

I've walked parts of this in the "reverse" direction and my experience is that the waymarks are just as reliable that way.

There are a few decisions to sort out on your end that will influence this. a) Which branch of the GR36 do you want to follow out of Cahors (the shorter, Lot-side track, or up over Mont-Saint-Cyr)? b) Do you want to detour to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie? c) Do you want to visit the caves at Pech-Merle?

The answers to those questions, along with your personal comfort level, will dictate some choices. For example, it's possible to do a longer day straight through from Cahors to Saint-Cirq via the Lot, but (especially if you're doing Mont-Saint-Cyr) it may be more comfortable to split the walk in Vers/Béars or Pasturat. And depending on where/if you split the walk, and the optimal time for scheduling Pech Merle, it might make sense to overnight in Saint-Cirq or to just push onto the caves, then sleep in Cabrerets.

I've walked parts of this in the "reverse" direction and my experience is that the waymarks are just as reliable that way.
Many thanks. This will be our one and only shot at the Podiensis. We are walking the usual path from Le Puy to Moissac, but we want to take the short train ride back to Cahors and walk to Figeac. We want to see as much as possible, so are willing to spend extra days. (Note: On our walk west, we will be taking a day to bus to and from Rocamadeur, a place we absolutely do not want to miss.)

Please list your view of the unmissable highlights of the Cele variant and how to factor that in to a walk. Many thanks for your quick response and your exceptional work on this path. You are the one who motivated us to do this walk, despite our love of the Spanish camino paths.

Many thanks. This will be our one and only shot at the Podiensis. We are walking the usual path from Le Puy to Moissac, but we want to take the short train ride back to Cahors and walk to Figeac. We want to see as much as possible, so are willing to spend extra days. (Note: On our walk west, we will be taking a day to bus to and from Rocamadeur, a place we absolutely do not want to miss.)

Please list your view of the unmissable highlights of the Cele variant and how to factor that in to a walk. Many thanks for your quick response and your exceptional work on this path. You are the one who motivated us to do this walk, despite our love of the Spanish camino paths.

If this is an add-on, then consider whether you might just walk, say, from Espagnac-Sainte-Eulalie to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie. Saint-Cirq is easy to reach via bus from Cahors or Figeac. Espagnac would require a taxi to/from Figeac. That section is peak Célé, hitting all the major highlights. The walking before/after is enjoyable enough, but that's outstanding walk, great villages, and Pech-Merle.

€83,-

Bonjour Anthony 👋👋👋 I have read your post and Dave’s responses re walking from Cahors to Figeac «à l’invers» ... these are some of my highlights : the river park at Vers for picnic lunch and R&R, superb accommodation and hospitality across the river at Béars at «les Rives d’Olt», the village of Saint-Cirq-Lapopie and dinner / evening meal at Lou Bolat [who also host the village gîte communal] ... they have a stunning terrasse; the caves at Pech Merle near Cabrerets [prehistoric cave paintings], eating-out in the village at Cabrerets; the walk from Cabrerets to Marcilhac-sur-Célé via Sauliac and the incredible valley views; the ancient abbaye at Marcilhac; the walk beneath towering cliffs from Marcilhac to Espagnac-Sainte-Eulalie via Brengues with more superbe valley views; the impossibly beautiful village of Corn between Espagnac and Béduer; the village of Faycelles with its charming streets and excellent café ... after that you’re on the home stretch to Figeac. à propos Rocamadour, you will be pleased to know that the wholly rebuilt / restored train station at Figeac will reopen in the Spring ... it twas destroyed by fire in December 2018 and since that time there have been some restrictions on rail services.

If you have a sense of how many kilometres you are comfortable walking, I will be happy to suggest some overnight stopping points OR you can read my track notes here. I am in the process of updating them but they are broadly current [updated last year] ...

Attachments

• CéléValleyVariante2023Update.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 78
Wow, that's fantastic, Bronwen. Merci. We plan to walk Le Puy again in October but, before then, I think we will head to Figeac and walk the Cele variant - a good warm up! This is wonderful information, and we will have @Dave guidebook too
Bonjour! I will continue to update it ... as and when time permits 😅 ... already I am aware of a new accommodation option at Béduer that I propose to add to the list on the backpages ... just waiting for some more info ... there have been a couple of closures there in the past two+ years, so it will be most welcome and the location is brilliant!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bonjour Anthony 👋👋👋 I have read your post and Dave’s responses re walking from Cahors to Figeac «à l’invers» ... these are some of my highlights : the river park at Vers for picnic lunch and R&R, superb accommodation and hospitality across the river at Béars at «les Rives d’Olt», the village of Saint-Cirq-Lapopie and dinner / evening meal at Lou Bolat [who also host the village gîte communal] ... they have a stunning terrasse; the caves at Pech Merle near Cabrerets [prehistoric cave paintings], eating-out in the village at Cabrerets; the walk from Cabrerets to Marcilhac-sur-Célé via Sauliac and the incredible valley views; the ancient abbaye at Marcilhac; the walk beneath towering cliffs from Marcilhac to Espagnac-Sainte-Eulalie via Brengues with more superbe valley views; the impossibly beautiful village of Corn between Espagnac and Béduer; the village of Faycelles with its charming streets and excellent café ... after that you’re on the home stretch to Figeac. à propos Rocamadour, you will be pleased to know that the wholly rebuilt / restored train station at Figeac will reopen in the Spring ... it twas destroyed by fire in December 2018 and since that time there have been some restrictions on rail services.

If you have a sense of how many kilometres you are comfortable walking, I will be happy to suggest some overnight stopping points OR you can read my track notes here. I am in the process of updating them but they are broadly current [updated last year] ...
Thank you soooo much. I see that you are really and truly devoted to this camino path. My compliments and envy. We don't have a limit on kms walked. We've done some ridiculously long ones over the years, but that was mainly because albergues were closed or we walked too quickly. In the past, we rarely reserved where would stay or know exactly where we were going to stop each day. For this year's walk on the Podiensis, we plan to reserve accommodations in advance. Our French comprehension is good, but I could never shape my lips to speak in any way other than painful to the ears of a native French speaker.

Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
Hi Dave

We are just starting to plan a walk in France after completing the Spainish part 3 times. Thank you for this extensive spreadsheet, it will make the planning that much easier.

Warm regards

Helen
Margaret River Western Australia

€46,-
Hi all,

Happy planning!
Dave
Hi there
What an amazing piece of work. I just got back from the Via Podiensis, and really loved the Wise Pilgrim app - maybe a collaboration?

I stayed in a new gite in Maslacq - Chez L. It was hands down my favorite of all the 37? 38? places I stayed. Beatrix was amazing. Here's the website where you can find info: https://www.les-portes-de-maslacq.fr/portrait/

Hi Anthony
I missed when you are going, so if the trip is still pending and if at all possible, I would recommend spending the night in Rocamadour. I was there in April and it's absolutely mobbed with tourists from when the busses arrive until when they leave. But between 6:30pm and 10am it's almost empty and very quiet. The chapels are still open (and at least one of them only opens after all the tourists are gone), but most of the tourists shops are closed.

I really enjoyed a day trip to visit Rocamadour, taking a train from Figeac and then back again at the end of the day. I was there in mid-June a few years ago and although I'd call it busy, it was not mobbed.

Hi there
What an amazing piece of work. I just got back from the Via Podiensis, and really loved the Wise Pilgrim app - maybe a collaboration?

I stayed in a new gite in Maslacq - Chez L. It was hands down my favorite of all the 37? 38? places I stayed. Beatrix was amazing. Here's the website where you can find info: https://www.les-portes-de-maslacq.fr/portrait/
merci beaucoup @Smash123 🙏🏽 We will try our best to add «Chez L» asap👍

Hi there

Hi Sheila! It's Jenny from Lectoure.

I've made a mental note of this as we will be on the Le Puy and Frances later this year. We will mostly be aiming to stay at places we haven't stayed before except for a few favourites. One of those is Gite de la Boulangerie Brousse in Arthez-de-Bearn - not far from Maslacq. But maybe we will stay at Chez L instead. We are not planning to book more than a day ahead - given the time of year - so we will see when the time comes, but it does sound wonderful.

Hi Sheila! It's Jenny from Lectoure.

I've made a mental note of this as we will be on the Le Puy and Frances later this year. We will mostly be aiming to stay at places we haven't stayed before except for a few favourites. One of those is Gite de la Boulangerie Brousse in Arthez-de-Bearn - not far from Maslacq. But maybe we will stay at Chez L instead. We are not planning to book more than a day ahead - given the time of year - so we will see when the time comes, but it does sound wonderful.
Hi Jenny! How marvellous to hear from you. I think you would LOVE Béatrix. Such an interesting, warm, and lovely person. I could have talked with her for days. And her place is such a delight. Newly renovated and chock-a-block with creative and delightful touches.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there

Super helpful, thank you. Maslacq has been a tricky spot for accommodation in recent years, so this is great news.

Dave

Allow me to add my congratulations and thanks for the impressive resource you have made available!

However, at first sight, consulting the spreadsheet on my mobile phone when on the Camino will not be very user-friendly. Even on my desktop computer navigating the sheet is not easy - I cannot get it to fit onto my (large) screen. Am I alone in having this problem?

Would it be possible to whittle down the columns and lines to correspond to my needs? I’m only doing the Le Puy to Moissac stages and I don’t need to know about bikes, tents, washing machines, dryers, kitchens, languages… Basically, its the D to N columns which interest me most.

I am expecting you to reply negatively, explaining that you do not want your labour of love, on which you must have spent hundreds of hours of Benedictine work, to be exploited unscrupulously by others. I can fully understand your position.

Is there any other way that I could access your data? Many years ago when I last used spreadsheets, it was possible to filter them, asking, e.g., for "CH in Faycelles with private rooms"...

Whatever your reply, I repeat my congratulations and thanks for producing this impressive resource!

Hi Anthony
I missed when you are going, so if the trip is still pending and if at all possible, I would recommend spending the night in Rocamadour. I was there in April and it's absolutely mobbed with tourists from when the busses arrive until when they leave. But between 6:30pm and 10am it's almost empty and very quiet. The chapels are still open (and at least one of them only opens after all the tourists are gone), but most of the tourists shops are closed.
We started mid-September in 2023. We walked from Le Puy to Moissac and we did take a day off the trail to visit Roccamdour. We also took time to visit St. Cirq Lepopie, if I recall the spelling correctly. (Despite trying so hard to learn French, it was hopeless!) Both places are unforgettable.

After Moissac, we trained to Toulouse, and despite not walking, we simply had to get a stamp at the cathedral there as our last stamp on this camino walk since 7 years we started from the cathedral in Toulouse on a very long trek that took us on many camino paths, ending finally in Manresa, north of Montserrat. While in Toulouse, we took a day trip to Carcassonne, long on my bucket list. It was an enjoyable day, but Carcassonne is too Disneyland-like to appeal to our mindset stuck in medieval times.

Walking in France is so very different from in Spain. We knew that from our previous walk there. This made ourwalk so much better as we worried less about the cost and the language and certain customs and concentrated more on the breathtaking scenery, the medieval splendors and, of course, the cuisine.

Most who start in Le Puy end in Conques. We strongly recommend that for those who have time, continue to Moissac. It is a perfect finishing point. We probably spent an hour staring in wonder at the portal of the cathedral there. Just as the start in the Cathedral in Le Puy is THE most dramatic start of any camino, ending in Moissac seems like perfect bookend to a marvellous adventure.

Anthony, my friends and I also started in Le Puy at the wonderful cathedral. We added in a side day trip to Rocamadour and eventually opted to continue on the fabulous Cele Valley variant. We ended in Moissac, but had two extra days so walked along the canal to Auvillar, one of the 100 most beautiful villages in France, then walked back to Moissac before taking the train back to Paris.
I'll add that the Via Podiensis has been one of my top favorites, even with some very hefty climbs along the way.

Anthony, my friends and I also started in Le Puy at the wonderful cathedral. We added in a side day trip to Rocamadour and eventually opted to continue on the fabulous Cele Valley variant. We ended in Moissac, but had two extra days so walked along the canal to Auvillar, one of the 100 most beautiful villages in France, then walked back to Moissac before taking the train back to Paris.
I'll add that the Via Podiensis has been one of my top favorites, even with some very hefty climbs along the way.
I agree. We walked most unexpectedly in 90 degree heat with a searing sun. Those uphills were brutal. Fortunately, for the steep uphill leaving Conques, it was cool and misty. I reached the top of the hill before my wife, a slow walker, and you may recall the pilgrim rest area there. 8 French pilgrims were already there when I arrived. I told them in my lousy French that it was my wife's birthday. Would they mind singing happy birthday when she neared? They loved it. They sang happy birthday in English. Then I heard one of them say in French that English is so ugly. Let's sing it in French. And they did. And it was indeed beautiful. My wife filmed it, commenting at her birthday meal in Decazeville with some fine champagne that this was by far one of her most memorable birthdays.

If you've never heard Happy Birthday sung in French, I defy you to tell me it isn't much more lilting than our English version.

Anthony, what a lovely surprise for your wife's birthday! French is my favorite language even though I only know a few words and phrases. It is a beautiful and romantic sounding language and your little video sounds like a love song!
I had to chuckle that they think English is ugly as I have my own short list of what I consider to be ugly ones.😅

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a great resource! Thanks for making and providing it. I will be starting this route in May and already know it will come in handy.

never offer superlatives concerning the food
What a wise comment ! I never read a comment like this. When I read it, its music sounds like an angel's choir !
;-)
The truth is that we french often feel american language very enthusiastic, but a bit excessive, in french we say "too much" ! ;-)
Indeed, all the cooks want their work to be appreciated, but it is true that "I have never eaten such a good salad", or "this hand-made yoghurt is amazing", sounds a bit weird...

Last edited:
What a wise comment ! I never read a comment like this. When I read it, its music sounds like an angel's choir !
;-)
The truth is that we french often feel american language very enthusiastic, but a bit excessive, in french we say "too much" ! ;-)
Indeed, all the cooks want their work to be appreciated, but it is true that "I have never eaten such a good salad", or "this hand-made yoghurt is amazing", sounds a bit weird...
Here are some of my other thoughts on French dining, offered in humour and with a love of the French.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back