Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations on the Invierno in midwinter

Athena Atterdag

time&space traveller
Time of past OR future Camino
Invierno, Primitivo, Inglés+Fisterra/Muxía
Hi all,

I'm planning to go on the Camino de Invierno this winter (yay!!:)), starting from León on December 25 and turning south in Ponferrada on December 29.

I'm a bit concerned about accommodations along the way - obviously, there are less albergues than on the Camino Frances, for example, and the existing albergues are somewhat more expensive. This is more or less okay for me, my main concern is the availability of the albergues in winter. Any advice and/or recommendations?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are more pensiones than albergues, and they are generally open. The albergues are open, but you may have to call around to get a key or someone to open them. Calling ahead would be worthwhile to alert the hospitalero of your arrival.

Buen camino!

Hi, Athena,
The Invierno reallly only has two pilgrim-specific albergues, and they are Asún’s house in A Rúa, and the other one in Xagoaza (about 2 km off camino outside of Barco de Valdeorras). There are a couple of youth hostels (all listed in the forum guide, which is in the Resources section, available for download), but I don’t know about their availability in winter. The guide also lists many if not all of the private accommodations. As falcon says, since they aren’t pilgrim-specific, their opening and closing won’t have anything to do with pilgrim traffic.

@chinasky walked the Invierno in January a couple of years ago, and you should do a search for all of his posts, by just putting his forum name in the “By” box. He posted a nice video too, I think I remember.

I contacted both Casa Socorro and Casa Rural Agoga in As Médulas, because some were concerned that such a touristy place might close up in winter, but they both assured me they are open.

Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

After doing the Camino Portugués Central (loved it), then Sarria to SdC (hmmm), I’ve very excited to start the Invierno today as my final Camino of this trip before heading home. Anything the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back