Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations on the Invierno - latter half of February?

S

simply B

I have been taken with favorable posts on the Invierno from @peregrina2000 , @KinkyOne, @Rebekah Scott and others.

Circumstances may (operative word, "may") provide me both cash and time for a quick jaunt that way in a few weeks.

I don't care about weather, food or anything else. Just one thing the experts might know...

"Are albergues and casas open that time of year on the Invierno?"

Please note that I do not wish anyone to do research that I should do myself. A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.

Many thanks!

B

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, B,
If you look at the guide in the Resources section, you will see that most of the lodging is private pensiones. To my knowledge, they don't close in winter. That's the silver lining of being on a camino that isn't focused on tourists, they are just normal year-round businesses. The only pilgrim albergue is in Asún's home in A Rúa, so no problem there -- but I would call ahead to let her know you're coming.

Hope you get the chance to go, would love to hear from someone who walks the Invierno in the Invierno!

Thank you, @peregrina2000 !

I found the guide after I posted. If the stars align, I will be able to provide the Forum a review of how it went. At the very least, I will be able to provide you with observations via PM.

Now, if the stars could just align...

With no harboring of any expectations, I am likely to have just enough time to get from office to the airport. My pack (completely ready to go) glares impatiently at me from its place of honor every time I walk by. It is ready!

Your comments (and efforts on the guide) are greatly appreciated!

B

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@peregrina2000 -

Figuring that fortune favors the bold, I took an hour out of the sleep budget last night to read through your (and your contributors) guide. It was definitely worth it. One word:

"WOW!"

That is a fine piece of work. If there is anything missing, I have no idea what it would be.

It helped me sketch out a trip itinerary, home and back, in under an hour. Today I was able to check out flights. From here on out it is just a matter of luck.

Thanks so much to you and your collaborators!

B

Thanks @Charrito!

The stars aligned.... Late, and last minute. but the opportunity is there and so I am off soon. Unprepared in some ways but I am hoping familiarity with the Camino in general will help to some extent.

For all of the rest of you Invierno experts - especially @peregrina2000 and the guide collaborators - I cannot promise that I will be delivering timely updates, if any at all. No question that I will get back to you later as time permits!

I am more than just a bit fatigued here with deadlines, schedules, e-mail and text so will likely just play it by ear as to whether or not I post. While I would like to be helpful in "real time", I just cannot guarantee that because I need some downtime. (Not having a "pity party", just relaying my lack of capacity.:))

Warmest regards to all - - and thanks for so much help in such a selfless way - - you are the best!

B

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will look forward to reading your tales when you are able and ready to post. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hope you enjoy this beautiful way, I am hoping to walk it again in June if the Universe conspires with me...Buen Camino..:)

All -

I really hope that I Am not disappointing anyone but I have been forced to bail on the Invierno.

Seven hours in rain, the last six was steady downpour yesterday. It overcame all my gear that has proven itself on prior Caminos.

Three complete changes of socks and no place to wash and dry in Medulas. The only place opening their door to a bed was the couple at Socorro.(good folks! He gave me ride back to Ponferrada just an hour ago.)

I figured it is not going to improve going forward so I made a sensible, if less adventurous decision.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The decision is to re-group, clean up and dry out. Then I will try out a snowy Frances.

Btw, if anybody out there is near behind me, the invierno has several washouts and slides over it. These before santalla.

The direct route to Borrenes from here had me crossing a torrent only to ascend a temporary river. The marking was not discernible once I met the road so I walked the roadside to Borrenes.

Most towns are shut tight. Total de Merayo had the only open anything until I reached Medulas.

And that is my report on the CI, such as it is.

B

Oh, one last thing...

I am enjoying the experience. I am on the Camino! What's not to love?

B
Is the weather that much different on the Invierno than the CF parallel to it? I certainly hope that is the cae for you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
All -

I really hope that I Am not disappointing anyone but I have been forced to bail on the Invierno.

Seven hours in rain, the last six was steady downpour yesterday. It overcame all my gear that has proven itself on prior Caminos.

Three complete changes of socks and no place to wash and dry in Medulas. The only place opening their door to a bed was the couple at Socorro.(good folks! He gave me ride back to Ponferrada just an hour ago.)

I figured it is not going to improve going forward so I made a sensible, if less adventurous decision.
Hi, B,
Always good to have a Plan B. :) Hope the rest of your Camino is drier than your first day. Buen camino, stay safe, Laurie

Is the weather that much different on the Invierno than the CF parallel to it? I certainly hope that is the cae for you.
Well, I was told that yesterday's continual downpour was most unusual. That said, it was enough to drench me and three complete sock changes as well as boots. Being unable to dry them would put my feet at serious risk that vaseline would mitigate only slightly.

Facilities on the Frances are more numerous and closer together and so getting dry should be easier. The utter lack of open establishments, especially in Medulas, is in distinct contrast.

I would be happier of the snow than rain, it falls off more than it wets.

Well, I was told that yesterday's continual downpour was most unusual. That said, it was enough to drench me and three complete sock changes as well as boots. Being unable to dry them would put my feet at serious risk that vaseline would mitigate only slightly.

Facilities on the Frances are more numerous and closer together and so getting dry should be easier. The utter lack of open establishments, especially in Medulas, is in distinct contrast.

I would be happier of the snow than rain, it falls off more than it wets.
But again, will the weather be so different?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But again, will the weather be so different?
Well, statistically, precip in the high country on the Frances is more likely to be snow than rain.

After Triacastela, I am guessing that they are closer in character, but the direction from which the front arrives probably matters as well.

Does that answer the question?

B

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, statistically, precip in the high country on the Frances is more likely to be snow than rain.

After Triacastela, I am guessing that they are closer in character, but the direction from which the front arrives probably matters as well.

Does that answer the question?

B
Thes, thank you. I was seeing the routes as parallel and close together so wondered why such a difference, but there are microclimates everywhere.

Sorry to hear that you've had to pull out, simply B, but the weather was atrocious here in Castilla y León for a few days at the end of last week, with heavy rain, really strong winds and then blizzards. It's much better now.

Keep the faith!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are you thinking of a particular time in June?

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous
Hi Alan, not sure of timing as yet, family time in England will determine when..but I am ready, already!!;-)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back