• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations on Via Francigena?

Birdielein

Time of past OR future Camino
Truncated Camino Frances Sept 2014 (250 kms)
Camino Portuguese (?) March 2015
Not a Camino but 450kms of the WWI western front Sept TBD
Hello all,

Are there any gites communaux on the stretch of VF from Arras to Chalons en Champagne? I am doing that chunk as part of my war walk, but I just can't find any accommodations for under 35 a night. o_O

Truthfully, my whole walk is shockingly expensive in terms of lodging. I didn't intend to have my own room every night but it is looking more and more the case!

Any help would be awesome!
Birdie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all,

Are there any gites communaux on the stretch of VF from Arras to Chalons en Champagne? I am doing that chunk as part of my war walk, but I just can't find any accommodations for under 35 a night. o_O

Truthfully, my whole walk is shockingly expensive in terms of lodging. I didn't intend to have my own room every night but it is looking more and more the case!

Birdie

In 2011 35 per night was at the lower end except in Serancourt la grande where the campsite had a caravan for pilgrims at 22 euro and the YHA in Reims was 24.

There is a YHA in Chalons en Champagne too! :D That is a help!

I guess with GR 145 being so new, there aren't any cheap places yet. :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all,

Birdie

We found the same all along the way - even staying in convents didn't seemed to be cheap. We allowed 35 euros a night for accommodation because of the lack of albergue infrastructure on the Via. We did knock on a door one night and ended up being the guest of the owner , by accident actually, we thought it was the door to a convent. Made a great memory :)

Maggie Ramsay
The Italian Camino (Amazon)

Hello,

I haven't done that part of the walk yet but I see in my guide book that there is a YH in Reims, also the Maison Diocésaine Saint-Sixte and on the outskirts, the Monastère Saint-Claire. No idea how much it is for one night. Maybe someone with the Miam-Miam Dodo might have more details.
In Trefcon, there is a gîte with 17 places.
Campings in Péronne and Châlons-en -Champagne.
In Bapaume, parish accommodation but no shower.
Arras, YH also maison Diocésaine Saint-Vaast.
Amettes: abri pélerins in hall, also accommodation poss. with the sisters in the Communauté des Augustines.
Wisques: 2 Benedictine abbeys offer accommodation.
Campsite in Licques.
Buen camino anyway. When are you going?

We found that in years of travelling in France, no place was harder to find lodging than that region. We were on bikes and still had trouble finding places.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry, I was mistaken, there is no Miam Miam Dodo for that region...
Have you considered camping? Trouble is, very light weight tents aren't cheap either :confused:

Sorry, I was mistaken, there is no Miam Miam Dodo for that region...
Have you considered camping? Trouble is, very light weight tents aren't cheap either :confused:

Hi, sorry to use this topic but...
I've been thinking about camping all the way (or almost), and my doubt is: if/when you need to use the bathroom, how you do it ?

Hello there! I stayed in campsites so there was always bathroom facilities or sometimes in 'gîtes' when all the rooms were booked, camping in the garden or an adjoining field. The 'landlords' always let me access the bathroom, thankfully.
I haven't done 'wild camping' but I assume you just hide behind a bush? (Not leaving anything behind, mind! ;) )

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello there! I stayed in campsites so there was always bathroom facilities or sometimes in 'gîtes' when all the rooms were booked, camping in the garden or an adjoining field. The 'landlords' always let me access the bathroom, thankfully.
I haven't done 'wild camping' but I assume you just hide behind a bush? (Not leaving anything behind, mind! ;) )

Ah yes! I googled a little bit and I've found some good ways to do it. Thanks for your help :)

Some places extracted from the CPR Accommodation list which I keep on behalf of the Confraternity.

The first number is the day from Canterbury. The number after the name of the place is usually the cost in euro unfortunately this is kept in Excel form so does not display properly here.

"7 Arras Maison Diocesaine Saint Vaast 15 103 Rue d' Amiens in the centre +33 (0)3.21.21.40.00 +33 (0)3.21.21.40.38 Is open all year including public holidays. They have 15 euro rooms per person with shower on landing and 18 euro en-suite. All rooms have 2 beds and there are about 24 rooms. Breakfast extra. Very clean and well run. Mass each morning and vespers each evening. 10 minutes walk from city centre. Phone ahead. Our room is very nice and has two single beds and very clean with a sink. The price was 36 euros a day for a double inc breakfast and it is right downtown. AR BP EM BD CD Sep-12
7 Arrras Mme Bonnai +33 (0)3.21.71.37.18 A former pilgrim and retired English teacher offers b+b for pilgrims in the centre of Arras unless she is away. Phone ahead AR Jul-08
7 Arras Formula 1 34 27 Ave d'Immercourt on route N39 +33 (0)8.91.70.51.67 Spotlessly clean JS Jun-07
8 Bapaume Paroisse (Mme Becamp) Donation 3 Rue de l'Eglise 62450 Bapaume +33 (0)3.21.07.13.37 The parish accommodation is available (the hall has just been renovated including new WC and basins so maybe that was why it was reported out of action). Phone ahead. The secretary cannot give permission but will tell you when you can ring Monsieur l'Abbe who can let you sleep there (he covers many parishes so is not often contactable). There are no beds/mattresses and no shower either AR AM Jul-08
9 Peronne Paroisse L'Eglise DSt Jean Donation 16 Rue St Jean 80200 Peronne +33 (0)3.22.84.10.90 Phone ahead during day-time. Very basically furnished annexe, bed but no bedding. No charge made, but parish priest absent when I was there. Please note the new telephone no of the paroisse to 03 22841690. We are staying tonight in pilgrim accommodation provided by l'église St Jean, how very nice. It is called 'la petite maison' and even includes a lovely hot shower. We have just met the priest who even invited us for breakfast tomorrow morning, very kind. AR FB DG McB Jul-14
9 Peronne Camping Port de Plaisance Route de Paris +33 (0)3.22.84.19.31 April to October - The campsite was close by, well sign posted and a friendly guy named Jean-Michael was there to enthusiasticly greet me at the gates. He later insisted I took some pasta & bread off him. He also offered to wash and dry all my laundry and let me use the showers for free. It turned out he was a devout Catholic and was really pleased to have a pilgrim walking the Via Francigena staying at his campsite. DB Sep-12
10 Trefcon Equestrian Gite b+b Daniele et Hubert Wylands dorm 16 double 84 Val d' Ornignon 3 Rue Principal centre of village +33 (0)3.23.66.58.64 contact@val-dornignon.fr The Wynands family looked after us really well & were a great help in sorting out our next stage. They are the pinnacle of hospitality. Very comfortable. Very basic both room and food. Very nice people and the daughter understood some English. Dinner now 25e, breakfast 6e. Comfortable rooms. Excellent dinner with the family. Trefcon is a very small village, with no facilities. €54 for room, dinner, breakfast. * AM JS AR AW CW HY CB PS RM KW DG McB R&B Jul-14
10 St Quentin Youth Hostel 8 91 Boulevard J Boin +33 (0)2.23.62.68.66 I soon had my tent pitched and used the hostel's kitchen to prepared a nice pasta dish for my dinner. I met quite a few nice people in Saint Quentins campsite, from different countries, all camping here for different reasons. DB Sep-12
10 Serancourt le Grande Camping du Vivier aux Carpes Alexandra & Sébastien Varier 22 10 rue Charles Voyeux 02790 Serancourt le Grande +33 (0)3.23.60.50.10 contact@camping-picardie.com An excellent location, amid trees, surrounded by water. There is one small caravan for one person, and two caravans each for two people. Good facilities (washing, café etc) onsite. I had the small caravan. € 48 for caravan, breakfast supplies and a pizza for dinner at the café. You prepare your own breakfast from basic food provided. Extremely professional and helpful owners. Speak good English. By far the best camping I used. DJ RM DB JB BD CD M Sep-12
11 Tergnier Hotel Paon 38 55 Ave Jean Jaures +33 (0)3.23.57.04.13 A basic but clean room with TV. WC and showers in corridor. The hotel Le Paon has been renovated in the dining room as well as the sleeping rooms. It is comfortable and we would recommend staying here. PS JB BD CD Sep-12
11 Tergnier Indian Haweli 40 8 - 10 Rue Pierre Semard +33 (0)3.23.52.49.61 Nice clean room recently updated so modern looking and comfortable. Opposite railway so a little noise. Nice bathroom. Hot shower. Will need to call as not here unless restaurant open. KW Sep-13
11 Nouvion et Catillon Ferme de la Commanderie 28 Catillon du Temple 02270 Nouvion et Catillon +33 (0)3.23.56.51.28 carrette.jm@wanadoo.fr MME Jose-Marie Carette is proprietor and is very kind. Accommodation is 4 kms out of village just off the D26 but is en route to Laon. The room was lovely and there is a kitchen with microwave * AM Jun-08
11 Crecy sue Serre Hotel Restaurant de la Tour +33 (0)3.23.80.80.11 Highly recommended hotel – enormous room! Good food too * CD FM Jun-05
12 Suzy Camping DB Sep-12
12 Laon Camping The campsite is just outside Laon, very easy to find and was open when I arrived at just before 1 pm. No one was there to take any money or anything, so I just pitched my tent near the reception. Right outside the campsite was a lake that was looking stunning in the morning sun light, with mist rolling across it's surface and sunbeams bursting through the treetops. DB Sep-12
12 Laon Hotel Premier Classe 34 in low town +33 (0)3.23.23.03.02 free Wifi PC BG Jul-12 #9/10
13 Cheret (nr Laon) Le Clos b+b Michel et Monique Simonnot 34 18 Rue Principale 02860 Cheret +33 (0)3.23.24.80.64 leclos.cheret@club-internet.fr “Le Clos” is the most impressive building that I have stayed in so far. It is a very large old Chateau-type mansion and is wonderfully maintained. I am in the Bluet Room and my window looks out over a park and a lake. I was surprised that the size and splendor of this fantastic old house was not mentioned in the guides. There is even a little Chapel attached to the house – clearly designed and still used, for Pilgrims to pray – which adds to the charm. Open from March 15 to October 15 JB Sep-
13 Ste Croix La Besace b+b Jean Lecat 36 21 Rue Haute 02820 Ste Croix +33 (0)3.23.22.48.74 la.besace@wanadoo.fr Handily placed, friendly. Very good evening meal. Very little accommodation between Laon and Reims * CD FM Jun-06
13 Corbeny Hotel du Chemin des Dames 55/42 double 68 4 Rue Pierre Curtil 02820 Corbeney +33 (0)3.23.23.95.70 +33 (0)3.23.22.48.28 Free internet access in bar. Highly recommended. Patron keen on local history and will show you the relics of St Marco in the church! Excellent value - dinner was very good as was breakfast. Logi. It is now €55 for half board (€42 for just the room) for a single person or € 68 half board for a couple (pilgrim prices). Our digs in Corbeny are absolute grand compared to what we came from. The room is very clean and modernized with a new bed. We were both into the modern tub and a hot bath. Wow, we have just loved this hotel. It is difficult to leave. For those pilgrims who contemplate staying here, it has to be the best hotel yet and the best value for the money. We were told the regular pelerin menu was not available so we had to pick from the 18.50e selection. We had salads, beef dinner, cheeses from their cheese cart plus desert for 68e for the room and food. I noticed that their regular charge was 115e so he gives pilgrims a good discount. * EM HY DJ PS JB BD CD DG McB KW M Jul-14
13 Cuiry les Chaudardes (nr Corbeny) Tony Bridier b+b 25 6 Impasse des Prés 02160 - Cuiry les Chaudardes +33 (0)3.23.25.82.42 lagrangecuiry@aol.com
14 St Thierry Bendictine Monastery 14 2 place de l’Abbaye 51220 Saint Thierry +33 (0)3.26.03.99.37 Phone ahead. €14 for the room, €9 for dinner and breakfast. Please note their new phone number: 0326039937 or sister Marie Samuel's mobile no: 0618975524 PS Jul-12
14 Reims Maison St Sixte La Maison Diocésaine Ste Marie 17.75 6 Rue du Lieutenant Herduin 2 blocks away from the cathedral +33 (0)3.26.82.72.50 maison.st.sixte@wanadoo.fr This was pilgrim accommodation in a seminary which is now also used for parish activities. It was booked for me by Les Amis de St Jacques who had a welcome desk in Reims Cathedral. Bed and breakfast, if desired evening meal. Very clean, well located to cathedral, inexpensive. AM BP EM Sep-12
14 Reims Monastere Sainte Claire 2 Rue Pierre Beregovoy Cormenteuil +33 (0)3.26.86.95.12 clarissecormontreuil@sfr.fr On the way out of town to the south
14 Reims Centre International de Séjour CIS 21.5 Chaussée Bocquaine - Parc Léo Lagrange 51100 - Reims +33 (0)3.26.40.52.60 info@cis-reims.com Large Youth Hostel, but small (2-bed) rooms. Clean and comfortable. On opposite side of river straight down from cathedral, easy walk into centre of Reims. Clean and comfortable, if somewhat impersonal. Single with douche - 38 euro standard price but given 20% pilgrim discount so 30 euro including breakfast. Simple but comfortable with heating. BD JS CD FM AR FB DJ PS DG McB KW Jul-14
15 Verzy Auberge de Jeunesse FUAJ 16 Rue du Bassin 51380 Verzy +33 (0)3 26.97.90.10
15 Trepail Mme Vivian Jacqueminet Donation? we suggest 30 per person 6 or 17 ? Rue St Martin +33 (0)6.19.81.22.52 Vivian has rooms for eight persons. The gite is right next to the church and the spire can be seen some distance off to the right as you first enter Trepail. The rooms are at 6 rue St Martin, but Mme Jacqueminet lives direcly across the street at No. 4, so call there on arrival Mme Jacqueminet is very helpful. € 30 for room, dinner and breakfast. Mme Jacqueminet is very helpful, and made bookings for me for the next three nights. She has the key to the church and showed me around. This gite is really “pilgrim friendly.” RM BD CD Oct-12
15 Conde sur Marne Jeanne Barrault b+b 32 7 Rue Albert Barre 51150 Conde sur Marne +33 (0)3.26.67.95.49 barrault.home@wanadoo.fr
16 Chalons en Champagne Auberge de Jeunesse FUAJ 18 4 Avenue du General Patton 51010 Châlons-en-Champagne +33 (0)3.26.68.31.79 www.fuaj.org The old one has closed. €18 for a bed in a three bed room, with bedsheets. It was very quiet in September so I had a 4 bed-room to myself. Only open from 3pm to 7pm during the week to take guests. 5pm to 7pm on weekends and holidays. BD JS CD FM AR PS DG McB KW Jul-14
16 Chalons en Champagne Camping Municipal 2 Rue de Plaisance +33 (0)3.26.68.38.00 The camp site which was fortunately open but unfortunately at least an hours walk out of the city. The camp site turned out to be a very tranquil and peaceful little site with an Spar and Boulangerie right outside the gates and both were open. PC BG DB Sep-12"
© Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome 2015

I also have a question about camping in Italy... How much are the official camp grounds a night? Are there alot of official campgrounds along the path? Or are they pretty far apart? How does one work out the "camping in a garden" and access to the facilities? Do you just ask the hostel or gite owner? I have read many blogs where the pilgrims talk about wild camping and know this is illegal in italy. Is this actually a problem? Has anyone ever been fined on the spot? Or arrested? Just curious.

I stayed in Albergues only when i walked the camino francis so the camping is a foreign idea, but i did buy an ultra lite tent... So i am interested in giving it a try. Please share your experience with camping!

Thanks,
Ellen

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hope someone else can help you with the camping in Italy because I only have experience with France, Germany and Austria...
If there is a campsite, fine, just ask if there is food available on site. In France, people had cars and thought nothing of driving to a restaurant or supermarket 25 km away. Not an option for us! Same in Germany, campsites were in idyllic places but miles away from facilities.
I used to phone ahead for a room in a b&b or a gîte, more often than not they were booked up so I then asked if we could camp and have a meal... Most times the answer was yes, those were rural areas away from anything. They would let us have access to their shower and cook us a meal, whilst we camped in a field near by. (Or their garden).
I have no experience of 'wild camping'. It really wasn't an option as we needed food and more importantly, water.
I do hope someone can come up with more help re camping in Italy. Usually wild camping isn't allowed but... If no-one sees you AND you leave no trace of ever having been there AND you don't make a fire....
But personally I wouldn't advise it as you need water and even if you carry loads, in the Summer it quickly heats up and becomes undrinkable...
Not sure it helps? But all my best wishes.
Dominique

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back