• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations Questions (2019)

PeterBarry

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Norte
Portuguese
Le Puy to SJPDP
Hi Folks,

attempting the Norte commencing Wednesday Aug 7th 2019 (2 days time)
Was wondering if anyone has info on the following Alburgues.

Are the following pilgrim hostels still operating?
- Irun Alburgue for Pilgrims
- San Sebastian Alburgue for Pilgirims
- getaria hostel (one up the hill on route out of town)
= Deba Alburgue for Pilgrims (Over Railway Station)
- Markina Alburgue for Pilgrims
Any help on a location in Guernika would be great.

Thanks a million for any help

Regards
Peter

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Of those that you listed I have only stayed at the Municipal in Deba, which I really enjoyed. You need to check in and pay at the Tourist Information Office in Deba before making your way to the albergue. When I was there in early July last year it did fill up by mid afternoon, and quite a few pilgrims had to go on farther.

One of my favorite albergues on the Norte was Intxauspe albergue in Markina. Their website doesn't list the albergue beds, but last year they were 12 Euros. They have a beautiful garden area with seating and loungers to relax in the afternoon, and offer a communal dinner and breakfast.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Folks,

Regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

San Sebastian's hospital de peregrinos is closed, so you're stuck with youth hostels or other pricier accommodation. Lots of people end up at La Sirena at the far end of town.

The other four are all operational. No issues there.

With Gernika, the only hostel-style accommodation is the youth hostel. It's a bit pricey, but they've made some nice upgrades.

Dave

The albergue in Irun will fill up quickly so I recommend you get there early even before they open. I started walking in late September and it was full but much later in the day.
In San Sebastian I booked a bed in the hostel called "A Room In The City". Excellent location and very clean and nice. I don't know about Geteria. Deba will be open but fills up fast. Markina should be open. It is a pretty good albergue. The albergues in Guernika get really poor reviews on Gronze.com. I stayed in a small pension but don't remember what the name of it was. You should check out Gronze.com for reviews. When in doubt call.
My favorite albergue is the one past Abadin called Albergue O Xistral. It is in the middle of the forest. It is small and beautiful and clean and the owners are fantastic people. There are no services but they offer you a really nice dinner and breakfast. Absolutely loved this place. For some reason in Gronze it shows that you cannot leave reviews. Why that is now, I don't know. But do not let that deter you.
Remember where you plan on sleeping before you walk and where you end up will usually be very different for alot of people.
Defiantly use Gronze.com for checking out places to sleep and maybe download wise pilgrim or Buen Camino app for more choices to sleep. In the summer you can always use the help of more choices as no guide is complete.

My favorite albergue is the one past Abadin called Albergue O Xistral.
When I walked this section this year several people were disappointed to find that although they had arrived early, and there were no other pilgrims there yet, O Xistral was already completo when they arrived. It's very popular and they do accept reservations, so it fills up fast.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good point. I got there and there in late October and there were only 3 of us. So yes call for a bed ahead of time. I loved this place. It started raining about 15 minutes after I got there. It stopped just before I left in the morning. Perfect timing!!!

Hi Folks,

Regards
Peter
Download Buen Camino app. My husband found it very helpful in May and June.

The albergue in Irun will fill up quickly so I recommend you get there early even before they open. I started walking in late September and it was full but much later in the day.
In San Sebastian I booked a bed in the hostel called "A Room In The City". Excellent location and very clean and nice. I don't know about Geteria. Deba will be open but fills up fast. Markina should be open. It is a pretty good albergue. The albergues in Guernika get really poor reviews on Gronze.com. I stayed in a small pension but don't remember what the name of it was. You should check out Gronze.com for reviews. When in doubt call.
My favorite albergue is the one past Abadin called Albergue O Xistral. It is in the middle of the forest. It is small and beautiful and clean and the owners are fantastic people. There are no services but they offer you a really nice dinner and breakfast. Absolutely loved this place. For some reason in Gronze it shows that you cannot leave reviews. Why that is now, I don't know. But do not let that deter you.
Remember where you plan on sleeping before you walk and where you end up will usually be very different for alot of people.
Defiantly use Gronze.com for checking out places to sleep and maybe download wise pilgrim or Buen Camino app for more choices to sleep. In the summer you can always use the help of more choices as no guide is complete.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi folks
Thanks for the help

Alburgue in Irineas great clean but did fill up by 1800
In hostel in San Sebastián at moment. Everywhere full here pilgrims having to move on to next stage by bus!

Dues anyone know what situation with Deba us?
Will arrive Saturday and I recall you need to register with the tourist office first or police station. Is that still going on!

Thanks Peter

I arrived in Deba at 1pm and went to the tourist office, but they sent me straight to the albergue. They advised me it was open, and so no need to register with them, but 'check in' directly.

I arrived in Deba at 1pm and went to the tourist office, but they sent me straight to the albergue. They advised me it was open, and so no need to register with them, but 'check in' directly.
Interesting. It sounds like they may have changed the procedure, which I thought was kind of strange.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Interesting. It sounds like they may have changed the procedure, which I thought was kind of strange.
When I was in Deba I stopped by the tourist office because I heard there was a detour out of town. I was waiting for a couple to turn finish and when they turned around it was two friends of mine from Ashland. They were taking a rest day. We had a great lunch together!. It was very cool.

Although the San Sebastian albergue is closed, there is a wonderful place to stay just a few kms before Sebastian which is called Doce Tribus. When there are too many people, they put out tents or have people sleep in the dining room. Very generous religious community, one of the highlights of my walk:)

Hi Folks,

Regards
Peter
Hi there. I started in San Sebastien but couldn't get into the Pilgrim Albergue so stayed in a very nice but hideously overpriced private one in the city centre. Didn't stay in Getaria (Zatautz instead where the Pilgrim Hostel at the entry to the town (Behind the petrol station) was great - fantastic pilgrim menu in the bar along side (cute waitress gave us an extra bottle of wine for free)). The Deba albergue is very good except for the clothes drying facilities which are basically non-existant but the staff in the Tourismo were very friendly as were the staff in the hostal. In Markina we stayed in Intxauspe landetxea, Lugar Barrio Atxondoa, 10, 48270 Markina-Xemein, BI•652 77 08 89- fantastic accomodation - cheap- communal dinner - delicious - loads of free wine and the couple who run it are fantastic - for me the best on the Camino. In Guernika anywhere is better than the Youth Hostal - I would rather sleep on a park bench than stay there again. It is filthy, very few of the showers work and the guy at the desk is rude and terminally unhelpful. There is other accommodation in town - it will be more expensive but better.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.