A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Live from Via Francigena Accommodations

Bernie Brunino

Camino(s) past & future
April (2017)
I am currently doing the VF from Canterbury to Rome. I just completed my third week and was going to wait until I got home to post this. But, I thought it would be better to it now in case you are planning this trip. Many of the accommodations listed in the Lightfoot guide are out of business and very hard to find a place to stay. I started keeping track of these places but the list was to large and would probably have been easier to track the ones that were still open. If you try calling ahead, you usually get a recording. I have had to camp in the woods as my only option. I have found some great places to stay at and would be glad to provide names. My opinion, Verezney and Verzy not pilgrim friendly at all. This trip has some amazingly beautiful trails and wonderful friendly people. Sadly, you sometimes lose sight of that when you don’t know where you’re going to sleep that night.

roving_rufus

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013-2015) Camino Portugues from Lisbon (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??)
Lightfoot Guides accomodation are a little out of date. Have you tried the Pilgrims to Rome lists from their website-https://pilgrimstorome.org.uk/ they are recently updated for France. Also several sections have produced their own lists and booklets - which can provide some other options.

Harington

Camino(s) past & future
Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016
I am currently doing the VF from Canterbury to Rome. I just completed my third week and was going to wait until I got home to post this. But, I thought it would be better to it now in case you are planning this trip. Many of the accommodations listed in the Lightfoot guide are out of business and very hard to find a place to stay. I started keeping track of these places but the list was to large and would probably have been easier to track the ones that were still open. If you try calling ahead, you usually get a recording. I have had to camp in the woods as my only option. I have found some great places to stay at and would be glad to provide names. My opinion, Verezney and Verzy not pilgrim friendly at all. This trip has some amazingly beautiful trails and wonderful friendly people. Sadly, you sometimes lose sight of that when you don’t know where you’re going to sleep that night.
There are many sources of up-to-date information on accommodation. There is pilgrimstorome.org.uk/accommodation. There is the EAVF (European Association of the Vie Francigene) website, and ther are all the local associations. One of the most helpful lists of accommodation was given me at the Pilgrim Accueil in Reims Cathedral (2pm each day in the season). A little research goes a long way.

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
Hi Bernie,
I absolutely understand the anxiety about accommodation...which is why I book ahead then my mind is at rest knowing where I'm headed & where I'll be sleeping.
I started my VF from London & am now some 10 weeks down the track in San Miniato, Italy. I've had no problems with accommodation throughout. Feel free to contact me if you're having trouble with a particular section...I'm happy to tell you where I stayed so you know the info is (very) recent & therefore up-to-date. Just note; I don't stay in pilgrim hostels etc but I do choose budget & pilgrim-friendly accom so it could be a viable alternative.
Everyone says it & its true...things will improve when you get to Italy...doesn't help you now but hang in there!
Best wishes with the continuation of your journey.
👣 🌏

Parksville

Camino(s) past & future
Tui to Santiago (2011), SJPP to Najera (2016) Najera to Finisterre (2017), Lucca to Rome (June 2019)
anyone stayed here recently? I found no recent reports for this hostel in san germano vercellese. it would be very useful.
https://www.viefrancigene.org/it/resource/news/francigena-un-ostello-i-pellegrini-san-germano-ver/
I am currently on the VF. I began in Lucca on June 1 and am now in Siena. I have been blogging each day and have included accommodation details in each of my posts. You can view them at: www.retirementreflections.com. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
J Via Francigena to Rome 4
Birdielein Via Francigena to Rome 12

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock