• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation at Pasajes de San Juan

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Dear all,

I am planning to walk the Camino del Norte first week of September 2021 and plan to start from Irun on the 6th September.

Since I will arrive early afternoon I am thinking of not spoending the night in Irun and start off with Camino as soon as I arrive.

There are 18kms to Pasajes de San Juan and consider to walk till there but will be arriving at about 7.00 in the evening. This means that there will be little chance of finding a bed at the Municipal albergue Santa Ana which has only 14 beds.

I am trying to contact Casa Txurdin via a text message (on tel.00344685475733) but had no reply. Also tried the Tourist office of the town (email: tourism.pasaia@oarsoaldea.net) but the email came back.

I would greatly appreciate if someone would help me to find some possible accomodation so that I will be able to secure a booking for one night.

Thanking you in advance,

Kind regards,
Raymond Aquilina

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a diferent number for Casa Txurdin- +34 685 47 57 33. If Casa Txurdin is not open these days, which is too bad as Ione was a wonderful hostess, then your options are limited to the possibility of a bunk at the municipal. I have had a few long walks through Pasaia on a few Caminos (after all, what does one do after a day of walking?) and between that and some googling, I see nothing there. It is not impossible that, asking at a bar or restaurant, someone will know of a room going.

However, another posssibility is just to take the ferry across and a few houses to the south there is the Sanpedrokalea guesthouse, a holiday apartment at San Pedro Kalea 30, which might work for you. The telephone is +34681638137.

May I offer my opinion that the 18km from Irun to Pasaia is rather tougher for a first day than you might think? I do not know if you are flying in or have had a long day in transit, but you might want to consider just bunking in Irun and getting ready for the morrow. There is little more exhausting than arriving late and trying to find a place to stay in the dark.

I agree. It's a lot of uphill out of Irun and late in the day to be setting out. You might consider finding a bed in Irun (lots more options) and set out for Pasajes early enough to grab a bed in the lovely Albergue Santa Ana, it opens early afternoon but there is usually aalready a queue of pilgrims. You then have a whole afternoon and evening to enjoy Pasajes. Or if you wanted, you could make it all the way to San Sebastian, something you won't manage by leaving Irun in the afternoon..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here's an email address for Sanpedrokalea, which oursonpolaire mentions above: sanpedrokaleapasaia@gmail.com

Beyond those, there's not much in Pasajes at all, especially with the albergue closed (or potentially full). One other option you could consider is catching a bus from Pasajes into San Sebastián. I pulled that maneuver on a scouting trip once and it worked great. The bus runs every 30min (every 20min during rush hour) and will drop you right in the center of SS. Just as easy to bus back to Pasajes the following morning. Here's the schedule: http://www.lurraldebus.eus/viajes/view_full_lineas_pdf/E01/2021-06-09

If you're interested in San Sebastián, you might even consider going straight there when you arrive in Spain. Book a place for two nights. Have some pintxos. Catch the handy Euskotren to Irún first thing in the morning to pick up the Camino. Maybe even leave your pack behind in the room. Easier first day.

Whatever you do, though, that walk is absolutely glorious.

I have a diferent number for Casa Txurdin- +34 685 47 57 33. If Casa Txurdin is not open these days, which is too bad as Ione was a wonderful hostess, then your options are limited to the possibility of a bunk at the municipal. I have had a few long walks through Pasaia on a few Caminos (after all, what does one do after a day of walking?) and between that and some googling, I see nothing there. It is not impossible that, asking at a bar or restaurant, someone will know of a room going.

However, another posssibility is just to take the ferry across and a few houses to the south there is the Sanpedrokalea guesthouse, a holiday apartment at San Pedro Kalea 30, which might work for you. The telephone is +34681638137.

May I offer my opinion that the 18km from Irun to Pasaia is rather tougher for a first day than you might think? I do not know if you are flying in or have had a long day in transit, but you might want to consider just bunking in Irun and getting ready for the morrow. There is little more exhausting than arriving late and trying to find a place to stay in the dark.
Dear Oursonpolaire,
Thank you for your message.
I note that I have an extra 4 in my number however my contacts are correct for Casa Txurdin. I will keep trying ..so far I only sent a text message...maybe a phone call will be better.
Regarding the municipal it will be ideal for me to stay there but arriving late and not finding a place there can be a challenge. This is way I wish to prebook.
I will be arriving at Irun at 14.30pm Hrs and feel that it will be quite early to remain at Irun till the next day. I usually walk long days on my caminos till evening. This why I am opting to walk till Pasajes. This will help me to gain some time.
However I will keep trying.:)
Thank you and kind regards,
ray

I agree. It's a lot of uphill out of Irun and late in the day to be setting out. You might consider finding a bed in Irun (lots more options) and set out for Pasajes early enough to grab a bed in the lovely Albergue Santa Ana, it opens early afternoon but there is usually aalready a queue of pilgrims. You then have a whole afternoon and evening to enjoy Pasajes. Or if you wanted, you could make it all the way to San Sebastian, something you won't manage by leaving Irun in the afternoon..
Irun has a great Albergue stayed there a few back very comfortable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Oursonpolaire,
Thank you for your message.
I note that I have an extra 4 in my number however my contacts are correct for Casa Txurdin. I will keep trying ..so far I only sent a text message...maybe a phone call will be better.
Regarding the municipal it will be ideal for me to stay there but arriving late and not finding a place there can be a challenge. This is way I wish to prebook.
I will be arriving at Irun at 14.30pm Hrs and feel that it will be quite early to remain at Irun till the next day. I usually walk long days on my caminos till evening. This why I am opting to walk till Pasajes. This will help me to gain some time.
However I will keep trying.:)
Thank you and kind regards,
ray
Since Covid, some municipal albergues are allowing reservations. Try contacting the municipal albergue.

All municipal albergues in the Basque Country are currently closed with no timeline for reopening.

With this information, and if the poster cannot get in touch with Casa Txurdin, my advice is to take the ferry and push into Saint Sebastian. I have such agreeable memories of taking breakfast coffee overlooking the inlet that I am sorry he might not be able to enjoy this.

I've already expressed myself on my views of doing this later in the day, so I'll not repeat myself.35259538290_b94d826bb8_o.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear all,

I am planning to walk the Camino del Norte first week of September 2021 and plan to start from Irun on the 6th September.

Since I will arrive early afternoon I am thinking of not spoending the night in Irun and start off with Camino as soon as I arrive.

There are 18kms to Pasajes de San Juan and consider to walk till there but will be arriving at about 7.00 in the evening. This means that there will be little chance of finding a bed at the Municipal albergue Santa Ana which has only 14 beds.

I am trying to contact Casa Txurdin via a text message (on tel.00344685475733) but had no reply. Also tried the Tourist office of the town (email: tourism.pasaia@oarsoaldea.net) but the email came back.

I would greatly appreciate if someone would help me to find some possible accomodation so that I will be able to secure a booking for one night.

Thanking you in advance,

Kind regards,
Raymond Aquilina
We stayed in Irun for first night to rest up for the next day. Then in the morning walked all the way to San Sebastian which was great.

Dear all,

Thanking you in advance,

Kind regards,
Raymond Aquilina
I would recommend staying in Irun. Check into the municipal hostel, very nice and lots of great pilgrims when I was there. The day I arrived was a Sunday and everything was closed so it was tough to find a restaurant or a grocery store in the area that was open. Found a fruiteria that had some different things and sat in the park near the albergue and had a nice dirnner.
The next day's beautiful and tough hike, which after watching some of your videos you will do fine with, I got to San Sebastian. Stayed in a really clean and comfortable Hostel called a Room In The City. I loved it. Went to Centro Historico and had a great dinner. It wasn't very Spanish, The restaurant was advertising pizza for like 6 Euros and I tried it and being a New Yorker I am picky about my pizza. It was excellent. I also went before and after dinner to Boulevard Gelateria which is just outside the Centro Historico for the best Ice Cream this side of heaven.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear all,

Thanking you in advance,

Kind regards,
Raymond Aquilina
WE stayed in both Irun and Pasajes into San Sebastián and very glad we did. If you happen to be in Irun on a Sunday, it is very pleasant to just walk around town because that is what everyone else is doing to. I loved our stop in Pasajes--wonderful hospitality and a charming town. Taking the ferry is a kick and I would not want to miss the walk from there to San Sebastián--in fact there is very little of the Norte that I would want to miss!

I totally agree with the last paragraph--it is a very tough 18kms with a very steep descent into Pasiaia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you want to get started the same day you arrive you might want to see if Albergue Captn Txmista (sp?) is still operating. It's about 4kms down the trail from Irun so it gives you a little head start for the next day. I believe it is a private albergue vs municipal so it might be open.

It was a stinking hot day (June 15, 2015) I had come off the GR10 through Hendaye then crossed the bridge into Irun and 100 mtrs on as I passed a table on the pavements two fellows called out "You look hot and thirsty but first book a room there" (they pointed to an opening in the wall of small shops to a sign which read pension Europa.) I took the last room, 20 E then joined them for the first of several cool ones.
The next morning they were gone on their way to SdC.
Right next door to the pension was a small wholesaler for the taverna trade where they sold everything but alcohol and I was able to buy 1kilo of mixed nuts for 5E which lasted me almost all the way across Spain.

Unless you are on a super tight deadline, arrive, relax and start afresh and full of beans the next day. Typically, you may find you arrive later than you think you will, or end up faffing about doing jobs like sorting a SIM out, eating, buying supplies for an hour or two, or are just tired. Better to take your time and start as you mean to continue 😁.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you want to get started the same day you arrive you might want to see if Albergue Captn Txmista (sp?) is still operating. It's about 4kms down the trail from Irun so it gives you a little head start for the next day. I believe it is a private albergue vs municipal so it might be open.
Good tip ...Thank you
Will try that :)

I agree with all the others above suggesting you overnight in Irun. It is a good slog over the mountain to Pasajes. I believe the Cathedral office offers sellos to peregrinos only between 09:00 and 15:00. Since you arrive at 14:30 I hope it opens at 15:00 and not 14:00. In 2017 I stayed in Hotel Bidasoa for euro 40. 943619913. Good breakfast. I much prefer albergues but I stayed there because I wanted an early start the next morning. That's when I discovered the limited hours at the Cathedral office, but I had arrived just after 15:00. I would not want to be walking on the west end of the high trail to Pasajes in the dark even with a 300 lumen headlamp. For some other tips on the del Norte please see my comments at the end of the forum of June 4, the subject: Camino del Norte 3 Sept 2012.

The del Norte is a great choice for your next camino. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear all,

Thanking you in advance,

Kind regards,
Raymond Aquilina
I’ll be arriving in irun after a long haul around the 15 of September ??? What’s a good hostel there ? And am planning on stopping next day in pasajes de San Juan. Is the albergue Santa Ana open? I thought it was closed. Thanks

I’ll be arriving in irun after a long haul around the 15 of September ??? What’s a good hostel there ? And am planning on stopping next day in pasajes de San Juan. Is the albergue Santa Ana open? I thought it was closed. Thanks
Albergue Santa Ana is closed. I'm afraid that there is no regular accommodation available in Pasajes de San Juan right now. Maybe it's best to rest up an extra day in Irun or Hondarribia before starting off to San Sebastián.

Albergue Santa Ana is closed. I'm afraid that there is no regular accommodation available in Pasajes de San Juan right now. Maybe it's best to rest up an extra day in Irun or Hondarribia before starting off to San Sebastián.
Thanks. For first day it’s a long haul.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have you checked AirBnB or VRBO to see if there are any listing in Pasaje de San Juan?
I was there on the 6th September and I found the only AirBnB available in Donastia but was not so good...but beggars cannot be choosers 😊 It had two beds then I shared the room with a pilgrim whome I met on the way @ 60€
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back