• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation Canterbury to Laussane

Helena Litherland

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2016) Frances (2018)
We are currently on the trail walking from Canterbury to Laussane. We have all literature, accomodation lists and as much accomadation information as possible but, other than hotels which seem to be plentiful, we are having issues finding cheaper options such as monastaries. We are currently in Sheperdswell, is there anyone further along that can make some recomendations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are currently on the trail walking from Canterbury to Laussane. We have all literature, accomodation lists and as much accomadation information as possible but, other than hotels which seem to be plentiful, we are having issues finding cheaper options such as monastaries. We are currently in Sheperdswell, is there anyone further along that can make some recomendations.
Have you tried this website - https://www.viefrancigene.org/
We have found it very helpful for all of our planning. We land in Geneva in 17 days!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Helena Litherland

My experience is from 2018 and obviously Covid needs to be taken into account now.

Word of mouth is quite useful in France. Ask your host to recommend the next place.

The tourist office in France is usually very helpful too and in smaller places the Mairie also. There is really quite a lot of pilgrim-oriented accommodation.

The Diocesan Offices in Arras have cheap accommodation.

In Reims Cathedral there is a table with members of the local pilgrim association waiting to help you. If they are not there I feel sure there will be lists left behind. And they will be happy to phone ahead for you. It is a crossover point for a camino route. It is quite word-of-mouth for the next three or four days from Reims in private houses/schools/mairie.

In Chalons-en-Champagne, (after Reims) in the large parish church, Notre-Dame-en-Vaux Collegiate Church (not the cathedral), there is an office there too which will help you with accommodation. It is another crossover point for a camino route.

Another thing to note, I would say, is that you do need to make contact before you go to a place especially in northern France. The numbers of pilgrims is so low, that they will not be waiting for you on the off chance, as on the Camino. But if they know you are coming you will generally find a great welcome.

A most unusual place I stayed was an activity centre for primary school children, 'Croq Loisirs' in Dampierre-sur-Salon. You need to go to the tourist office first.

I kept a list of accommodation but never finished it but you may find it useful for the first month. It is here:
http://walkingtim.com/accommodation/ Sorry for the formatting also! My attention to the blog faded, although my walking continued on as far as Thessaloniki.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Might be useful to try the Via Francigena Facebook group for info of those currently walking.
But France is more tricky...there are some pilgrim gites and some monasteries and some incredible pilgrim hosts but in other places it is chambres d'hotes. Many pilgrim friendly places , such as at Therouanne and Amettes, will help with next few stages. Also airbnb can provide some options. And Tim is right tourist offices are useful, often knowing of small chambre d'hotes or special pilgrim offers. But ringing ahead at least the day before is a really good idea!

Yes we have. We have the Lightfoot Guide, the Confraternity Pilgrims to Rome PDF, and a couple refrence materials but what we need is first hand experience and advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 14.29.35.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 14.29.35.png
    986.5 KB · Views: 4
You might want to work your way through this vlog as it will give you an idea of what's ahead of you including some ideas about the accommodation that may, or in the case of France profonde may not exist.

Even if it is not helpful, it is entertaining

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back