• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation in central Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All,

We are walking the Camino Primitivo next June and then volunteering at an albergue for the first half of July. At the end of our trip we plan to stay 4 days in Madrid before returning to the US. Does anyone have recommendations for great places to stay in central Madrid?

Neither my husband nor I have ever been to Madrid. We are not certain where in the city to stay. Also we'd love suggestions for comfortable, interesting lodging that is affordable (less than $150) and non-smoking.

Thanks!

Liz

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wanted to be in the central district of Madrid for a few days of museum hopping before flying home on Oct 5. (I have not been to Madrid before) Through Booking.com I've made reservations at the 2 nights for 34 euro. They also have private rooms. Looks pretty funky, gets good reviews. Needed someplace reasonably priced to make up for my last night in Madrid in a real hotel by the airport $$$$

Hi All,
Neither my husband nor I have ever been to Madrid. We are not certain where in the city to stay. Also we'd love suggestions for comfortable, interesting lodging that is affordable (less than $150) and non-smoking.
Liz

Hi, Liz,
I have had a lot of good luck with booking.com, surprisingly. I've gotten some pretty good deals in some "young hip sleek" places at good prices. I'm actually more of an "old world charm" kind of person, but those go at a pretty high premium in Madrid. I think the main thing is location, which I would limit to Puerta del Sol and Gran Via areas (I think most of the online sites use these as neighborhoods), but others may have recommendations for places further afield.

Needed someplace reasonably priced to make up for my last night in Madrid in a real hotel by the airport $$$$

Hi, GreatDane, I know you didn't ask, but I would just say that unless your flight is at the crack of dawn, staying in central Madrid is not a problem for you on your last night, especially if you stay in the Puerta del Sol area. The cercanias train, which leaves from the Puerta del Sol, costs a couple of euros (40% less if you're over 60) and takes around a half hour to get to T4. There is an totally simple transfer at Nuevos Ministerios. Trains start as early as 5 am. I would try my hardest to avoid an airport hotel and its promise of a charmless last night. :) Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks! The neighborhood suggestion really helps, Laurie. I am seeing lots of things in Puerta del Sol and I suspected that was the place to be, but the obvious is not always the best! Anyway, we like you prefer the old world charm, but it does look like modern & trendy is the name of the game. I am cruising both booking.com and AirB&B at the moment. GreatDane -- I'll check out your spot, although I think we probably want something a little higher end! We are sort of viewing this stay in Madrid as a decadent treat after our walk and volunteer work. I know our budget cannot handle true Spanish decadence, but something comfortable would be great! We also don't want to end up in a tourist trap with lots of American bus tourists!!!!!

I stayed at a place called Chic and Basic. Its in the Sol district and was close to the Atocha Metro entrance. The metro provided easy access from Chamartin and to the airport.

Hi, Liz,
I have had a lot of good luck with booking.com, surprisingly. I've gotten some pretty good deals in some "young hip sleek" places at good prices. I'm actually more of an "old world charm" kind of person, but those go at a pretty high premium in Madrid. I think the main thing is location, which I would limit to Puerta del Sol and Gran Via areas (I think most of the online sites use these as neighborhoods), but others may have recommendations for places further afield.

Hi, GreatDane, I know you didn't ask, but I would just say that unless your flight is at the crack of dawn, staying in central Madrid is not a problem for you on your last night, especially if you stay in the Puerta del Sol area. The cercanias train, which leaves from the Puerta del Sol, costs a couple of euros (40% less if you're over 60) and takes around a half hour to get to T4. There is an totally simple transfer at Nuevos Ministerios. Trains start as early as 5 am. I would try my hardest to avoid an airport hotel and its promise of a charmless last night. :) Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks for the replies and suggestions on neighborhoods/districts. My outgoing flight leaves at around 10:30 am and I expect there is that "2 hour rule" about how early to get to the airport and check in. I am not young, hip or sleek and am just months short of the age 60 discount, darn it all!! I do need to check to see what terminal I will be flying out of (Delta Airlines to the US). I have "plenty" of time to change my Madrid hotels/hostels.

Is the Puerta del Sol district a great centralized location for museum hopping and site seeing? I'll have 2.5 days in Madrid.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Madrid can be a tricky place for hotels and prices is not really the issue as much as location. I have stayed at Hotel Atlantico on Gran Via. You would think is noisy, but it is not. Location is excellent, you can walk to most sights. I also stayed at Hotel Europa and liked it, but the last time I was around Puerta del Sol saw such amounts of pickpocketing that I would much rather stay away from that area. I have also stayed atHotel Mora on Paseo del Prado; best location, great value.

As far as sections to stay, I would definitely advise central Madrid, say around the Royal Palace or Museo del Prado. Even around Parque del Retiro. Avoid Metro station SOL and Opera, avoid Bus Line #27. Never leave luggage out of sight, never allow unidentified "volunteers" to help you with luggage.Avoid Calle de la Montera, also avoid too close to Atocha Station, and if you have an issue with alternate lifestyles, then do not stay near La Chueca (they do have the best weekend flea market in Madrid, though...). Otherwise, Madrid is pretty accesible and location is not too much of a factor. As you are traveling in July, do NOT take anything without A/C, side street preferred, the higher the better. Hotel SolMelia is popular with Americans and tour groups, you will be fine.

Another option I have tried is staying at an apartment. I have used vrbo.com many times for many different countries in Europe and they have done good by me. You rent directly from the property owners (I only rent if reviews are good; no reviews? Pass.). Minimum stay is usually 3 days so you should be fine.

Some random tips: Museo del Prado's ticket line is ridiculous. If you go on Sunday at 5pm, not only the line is short you go in for FREE. Open till 8pm. Museo de la Americas-- FREE Sunday 10am-3pm. This museum is an undiscovered gem. Do not miss a stop at the bakery "La Mallorquina" or try the hot chocolate at Chocolateria Gines.

It may appear I am discouraging from visiting Madrid and it is just the opposite. I ADORE Madrid. So long as you follow cautionary advice, you will love it as well. :)

Hi All,

We are walking the Camino Primitivo next June and then volunteering at an albergue for the first half of July. At the end of our trip we plan to stay 4 days in Madrid before returning to the US. Does anyone have recommendations for great places to stay in central Madrid?

Thanks!

Liz
I always stay at the Hostal Persal, which is close to the Puerta del Sol, and the Plaza Mayor. They do a great buffet breakfast. Google them for prices for your stay.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Some more comments to throw into the mix.

GreatDane, if you are on Delta, you will not be going into T4. That means that you would take the Cercanías train to T4 and then have to take the intra-airport bus from T4 to T1 or T2. This can add 30-45 minutes onto your journey, turning a half hour trip from Sol to T4 into an hour trip from Sol to T1. But still plenty of time, if you got on a Cercanías train between 7 and 7:30, you´d be fine. There is another option for getting to the airport, which many have recommended, which is the airport bus. http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/horarios.html 40 minutes from downtown to the airport, leaving only from Atocha train station. To use that option, you´d either want to stay near the Atocha station (which has some nice areas, near the Prado museum, the Retiro Park, the Reina Sofía museum, etc.) or take a metro to Atocha from wherever you stayed in Madrid. But that option may complicate things too much, I don´t know how comfortable you are with an option requiring metro and bus.

Liz, I don´t disagree with Olivares´ comments about pickpockets, but they are really well dispersed around all of central Madrid. I think that no matter where you stay in central Madrid, you have to be very sure to have all valuables under your clothes. I have also stayed at Hotel Atlántico on Gran Vía, it´s very quiet because it has double or triple windows. It may be a bit over your price range, probably closer to $200. I agree with Alan that Persal is a good budget choice, not much in the way of charm, but clean, functional, great location.

The last time I was in Madrid I stayed near the Nuevos Ministerios, which gave me a no-transfer straight shot quick ride out to the airport on Cercanías. I stayed in another pretty charmless hotel, the Hotel Zurbano, part of the NH chain, but it was close to a great health club-fitness center, and also in a good neighborhood for restaurants and cafes (I can dig up some names if interested). I had a couple of great meals in the area, and it´s not downtown central Madrid, so it has a more relaxed, less intense feeling. Walking distance to a big Corte Inglés, which I also liked so I could stock up on olive oil, cheese, etc. So all in all, I thought it was a very good option.

And I´ll add my "not to be missed" museum in Madrid -- it´s the Museo Sorolla, Spain´s most illustrious impressionist, housed in his lovely home. The paintings of children on the beaches near Valencia and the other beach scenes are glorious.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have stayed at the Hotel Vinci Soho a couple times, including my last trip to Madrid - the location is great, a couple blocks from Plaza Santa Ana, which has a nice selection of restaurants and bars. The streets all around are great too - plenty of choices for food and drink. You can easily walk to the Prado, Plaza del Sol, etc. and you aren't far from the Metro.

On my previous trip, I stayed at the Hotel Ada Palace at the start of Gran Via - also a great location - walking distance to a lot of places, practically on top of a metro stop, very close to a cercanias stop.

Hotel One Shot 23, Calle del Prado, 23, 28014 Madrid, Spain

My spacious, spotless room with balcony overlooking the street was a 5-star experience at a 3-star price. Clearly some careful thought went into the renovation and design of this hotel, which exists in an older apartment block just a couple blocks from the famous Prado Museum. The Art Deco stylings of both lobby and rooms boast simplicity and sophistication and lack pretension.

The hotel is central, close to everything (including main train station), yet maintains enough distance from the entertainment district to allow peaceful sleep. It's in a very safe part of Madrid.

I stayed at a place called Chic and Basic. Its in the Sol district and was close to the Atocha Metro entrance. The metro provided easy access from Chamartin and to the airport.
I agree! I have stayed there at least four times, and will be there again in early November at the end of my Camino. However, Chic and Basic apparently has been sold and is now run under the name Urban Sea Hotel Atocha 113. The pictures on the website look exactly like the C&B that I remember. It is still chic and basic, with good prices and only a five minute walk from the Atocha train and bus station with regular shuttle buses to the airport. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and I felt safe walking alone to a nearby restaurant in the evening.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tripadvisor is our friend. We booked the #1 hotel and were pleased. The beauty of it is that it wasn't expensive or big. 17 rooms, I think, very affordable, funky, and in the tapa bar district.
It's called Hotel Artrip. Family run, walk to everything and all was good.

Thanks to all of you for the great advice. Through AirBnB, I found what I hope is a great apartment on Calle de las Huertas near the Prado. Thanks again! And also for all the suggestions of museums, etc! Liz

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back