• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

accomodation in holy week

Peter Morrill

I am arriving in Caceres by bus from Seville next wednesday (19 March - Easter week). I have a feeling that accomodation may be difficult. Can anyone give advice, as I've tried the internet for hostals or Albergues without success with a view to booking online. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong websites.

regards, Peter

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
this is a very good question. Everyone´s heading home for Holy Week and taking up all the open spaces in the pensions and hostels. Shops are closing at odd hours, restaurants are keeping odd schedules. Parish priests, usually the people to turn to when you need something and can´t find it anywhere, are running their legs off. You´re right to expect some challenges this week, especially in the pueblínes out there in Extremadura.

All I can say is check first the usual way suggested by your guidebook. Then go to the bar or the old folk´s hangout and ask the people there if there´s a room anywhere in town where you can stay. If you can´t find a bar, find a cop. And if that won´t work, go to the plaza mayor and knock on doors til you find someone who will tell you something. It probably won´t come to that, but never despair. There´s someplace in every town where a pilgrim can find a place to sleep, even if it´s on the sofa... or out in the barn! You´ll be fine.

Expect a good welcome in Fuenterroble de Salvatierra, and at Salamanca too!
Rebekah

Peter - The Cicerone guide by Alison Raju lists a good choice of accomodation in Caceres itself. You will get a welcome and sello in the Church of Santiago in the medieval city. The albergue should be open in Casar de Caceres - the key is in the bar opposite. I would have thought there should be no problem in Carnaveral, Galisteo, Carcaboso or Aldeanueva del Camino - the hostales/bars in these places are the centre of things. If you reach Calzada de Bejar you will have a choice but by then the fiesta will have finished an all will be well. You will recieve a very warm welcome in Fuenterroble as Rebekah says.

I'd be surprised if you have a problem and the locals will also help. When I reached San Pedro de los Rozados everything was closed...albegure shut for obras, Casa Rural not open, I was directed to one of the two bars. They confirmed everything was closed. " I have a problem" I said. " No you don't" was the reply " you can stay with my granny" - and so I did!

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rebekah, Johnny
Many thanks for your replies. My next door neighbour is Spanish, so he spent a while phoning several places in Caceres for me and eventually found me a room just outside the town. Being a Geordie I have enough trouble speaking English let alone Spanish, so my neighbour has translated various phrases for me to use in bars such as 'I'm quite happy to sleep on the floor/in the dog kennel/ in the pigsty' and he tells me that If I look sufficiently pathetic/pious someone will offer me something. It was nice that every place phoned was most concerned that I had somewhere to sleep and suggested other places with their phone numbers. I'm prepared for anything, even a bus shelter for the night, after all no one ever said that being a pilgrim should be easy!
My flight to Malaga is 6.50 tomorrow morning and I'm excited at the prospect.

regards

Peter

hello peter,
I have booked in Oasis backpackers hostal for the same week , very cheap and friendly. Maybe they have place for you.. You can find there adress by Google.
I start my walk on saterday, perhaps we meet!
God luck, Hans from Holland

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back