• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation in October?

Vigdis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008/2009, Roncesvalles-Burgos Oct. 2012
I am just about to book plane-tickets Norway-France, as I all of a sudden get in doubt...
(or maybe just scared... as I am going alone and don't speak French :D )

I have walked the camino in Spain 2008/2009, using pensions or small hotels most nights.

This time I plan to walk Le Puy-Figeac, starting the 7th. of October, ending two weeks later.
As I am not familiar with the conditions in France, my second thoughts are about whether it may be a bit "too late" of the year to walk.

Will most of the hotels/chambre d’hõtes/gites still be open?
Will the touristoffices be open?
Can I expect snow?

I am considering putting it off to springtime instead.
Anybody who would know?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most places are open until the end of October. BuyMiam Miam Dodo so that you have phone ahead for reservations. Tourist offices will help. So will concierges at gites, hotels, and chambres.

Thank you, falcon, I better do that; get somebody to reserve for me as I walk along.
And I will receive Miam Miam Dodo by post one of these days, gonna "study" it... :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you don't speak French you will find the tourist offices very helpful in booking accomodation for you. Miam Miam Dodo gives you a good idea when places close (or open at the beginning of the season). Cheers, Janet

Hei Vigdis!
Gikk fra Le Puy 15.08 i 2009 og hadde sendt mail til overnattingssteder før jeg dro. Det var greitt særlig siden det var feriemåned i Frankrike og mange vandrere langs veien bl. a. mange store grupper. Du bør være noen dager i forveien med bestilling og be om demi-pension. Giten kan være det eneste stedet du får et måltid på noen av småstedene. Bær med deg nok mat og vann. Det er betydelig færre steder å kjøpe mat enn på caminoen i Spania.
Kjøp deg et orange eller vodaphone prepaid sim card i en av de mange telefonsjappene rundt torget i Le Puy. Da er det billig å ringe for å bestille overnatting og med mobil er det lettere å be andre ringe for deg. Snakker heller ikke fransk, men klarte meg greitt selv om det ikke ble de store konversasjonene underveis. Traff folk fra mange land underveis.
Angående tidspunkt kan jeg ikke si noe om oktober men i august/ september var det varmt og tørre stier. Kom til Santiago 20.oktober og på slutten var det noen kjølige dager. Måtte ta i bruk både feece og hansker. Bonne chemin!
det er den fineste biten av veien du skal gå.

Sorry folks for writing this message to Vigdis in Norwegian! A bit lazy tonight!
randi

Google translate says you wrote this:

Vigdis Hey!
Went from Le Puy 15.08 in 2009 and had sent mail to accommodations before I left. It was fine especially since it was vacation month in France and many hikers along the way bl. a. many large groups. You should be a few days in advance you book and ask for demi-pension. Gites may be the only place to get a meal at any of the villages. Carry enough food and water. There are significantly fewer places to buy food than on the Camino in Spain.
Buy an Orange or Vodaphone prepaid sim card in one of the many telefonsjappene around the square in Le Puy. Then it is cheap to call to book accommodation on your mobile, it is easier to ask others call for you. Speaking no French, but did me fine even though it was not the great chats underway. Met people from many countries en route.
Regarding timing, I can not say October but in August / September, it was hot and dry trails. Come to Santiago 20 October and at the end there were some cool days. Had to make use of both fleece and gloves. Bonne chemin!
it is the finest piece of road you should go.

It obviously did not like your "telefonsjappene"!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you Falcon. Next time I choose English since I write English better than the googletranslator reads Norwegian.

I have arranged with work to have my holidays two weeks earlier, so my new plans are now to go late September instead. Feels like a bit more safe to me :D

- Thanks, Janet, I will remember that. When walking in Spain I sometimes got the hotel I left to book the next night for me. But the touristoffices will be fine too, or even better. I have received Miam Miam Dodo, - very useful allthough I don't speak French, everybody can understand the symbols in it.

- Hello, Randi. Not sure whether to answer back in English or Norwegian, I choose the first, allthough my Norwegian is better :) Thanks a lot for good tips. I will bring my own mobile, but it will be cheaper for me to buy that prepaid sim card then, if I understand you right?

Know what? I also came in to Santiago the 20th of October last year...
I din not meet a single Norwegian on any of my previous walks, but I know they were there though :D
Now I want to do it all over again, but starting from France this time, and do it all in sections, like I also did before.

- Not all bad that translater, Falcon, not completely correct, though :D

Vigdis.
I used Spanish simcard in Spain and a French simcard in France. Both gave me free incoming calls, instead of the expensive incoming calls on my Norwegian simcard and cheaper local calls. They did not cost very much. I have had my Spanish card for years and have to fill it up every ninth month. The French orangecard I bought in Le Puy I had to put at least five euros every 14 days, but that was not a problem while I was walking.
Have a nice camino.
Randi

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, I see, Randi. You mean what we in Norwegian call "kontantkort", only this is a France one :D
It is really something to consider, cause it is expencive using a Norwegian simcard abroad, and to have to pay for incoming calls is REALLY annoying.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back