• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation in SJPdP

Cityjune

Time of past OR future Camino
17/04/2023
Greetings everyone. I’m new here starting my first ever camino in SJPdP 17 April. We super excited!! My friend and I will spend our first night in SJPdP before setting off the next day .
We don’t have a budget restriction or concerns about style of accomodation but really want to get the “pilgrim”experience and be near other pilgrims.
I’d like to hear from fellow pilgrims where you have stayed in SJPdP and what your own opinion of that accomodation is?
Also I heard that some of the auberges / hostels in town won’t be open then, is this true?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most places reopen at Easter which is 9 April this year. There may a few opening later but there should be a lot of choice. If you are there on 17 April then you won't have to look hard to find other pilgrims. A busy time.

For personal reasons I really love Beilari. Not everyone enjoys Joseph's pre-dinner "getting to know you" games but the company is usually varied and interesting! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many people like Beilari. They offer warm hospitality and a communal dinner.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love Beilari too. Just know that they are closed on Sundays, so if you are planning to start walking on April 17th (a Monday) you would not be able to stay there. If you are arriving on April 17th, I would try to get a reservation.

I love Beilari too. Just know that they are closed on Sundays, so if you are planning to start walking on April 17th (a Monday) you would not be able to stay there. If you are arriving on April 17th, I would try to get a reservation.
We arrive on the 17th Ana spending the night in sjpp to start walking on the 18th so that should work out well - Thankyou

Greetings everyone. I’m new here starting my first ever camino in SJPdP 17 April. We super excited!! My friend and I will spend our first night in SJPdP before setting off the next day .
We don’t have a budget restriction or concerns about style of accomodation but really want to get the “pilgrim”experience and be near other pilgrims.
I’d like to hear from fellow pilgrims where you have stayed in SJPdP and what your own opinion of that accomodation is?
Also I heard that some of the auberges / hostels in town won’t be open then, is this true?
I stayed at the Hotel Ramuntcho which is very central and good value for money. I decided to do that as I wanted to gather myself before crossing the Pyrenees. The Ramuntcho is a good hotel but you need to start out very early and before they serve breakfast. It's very important to buy food and water from the little supermarket the day before walking. My first hostel experience was at Roncesvalles which was wonderful. I had the pilgrim meal in the restaurant opposite and we had a trout each. I was very impressed by that! I hope that this helps - and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed in Gite Makila - highly recommended. Right next to the pilgrim office and on a main road for all things pilgrim. They have private rooms if you desire that - and serve a nice, light breakfast before heading over the Pyrenees. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Gite Makila is great and I would always stay there. That said, the owner is in the process of selling his establishment. I believe that it will take quite some time for this to happen and I understand that he is still taking on pilgrims until he does so.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think a first night in Beilari is the best way imaginable to start a camino. I will never ever forget it! It does get booked up real quickly, so reservations are best

Most places reopen at Easter which is 9 April this year. There may a few opening later but there should be a lot of choice. If you are there on 17 April then you won't have to look hard to find other pilgrims. A busy time.

For personal reasons I really love Beilari. Not everyone enjoys Joseph's pre-dinner "getting to know you" games but the company is usually varied and interesting! :)
I love this albergue. If I ever start in St. Jean again I will stay there. I have recommended it many times on the forum. Still have a friend that I met there in 2015. I think the atmosphere there really is great especially for new pilgrims. The games and communal dinner really open things up and makes for a really friendly and warm atmosphere. I think also there were some really nervous new pilgrims with overstuffed backpacks. Those of us who had walked before helped relieve some of their stress and in some cases convinced a few to leave some really unnecessary things behind. There was one young woman who had 3 books that were all at least 500 pages. We convinced her to leave them at the albergue!

You could usually get a good idea of which places may still be closed on the website gronze.com. Website is in Spanish - but a Chrome browser can translate the page for you.

Really - any albergue stay will give you a chance to meet other pilgrims when you arrive. You can look for one with a communal dinner if you want - but I loved exploring town and eating out/people watching that first night. I just book any albergue in SJPDP and then reserve in Orisson for the first Communal dinner and also want to stay in Borda some day (but those may be full already).

Beilari and Makila always have great reviews - but the other places in town are good too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thankyou for all your advice. I contacted Beilari and they said they were booked up for 17 April already! but to try again later. Perhaps people drop out ?
I shall try the other suggestions in the meantime.

Thankyou for all your advice. I contacted Beilari and they said they were booked up for 17 April already! but to try again later. Perhaps people drop out ?
I shall try the other suggestions in the meantime.
Yes definitely look at other albergue. I wouldn't count on a cancellation. Check out booking .com and trip advisor.

One thing to check is when they open for checkin. During our second camino frances we took a bus from Pamplona to St Jean and arrived around 11:30. After we checked in at the pilgrim's office, we went to a private albergue at noon and found out they did not open their doors until 3 pm! It was a real pain to lug our backpacks around St Jean with the steep streets for 3 hours! The last two caminos we stayed at Hotel Central. A bit pricey, but Christine allowed us to leave our backpacks in a secure area. Our room overlooked the river and had mountain views. Delicious dinner that night. Bob

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After we checked in at the pilgrim's office, we went to a private albergue at noon and found out they did not open their doors until 3 pm!
That used to be standard practice. On my first two Caminos I came across a number of pilgrim refugios which would not open until 4pm or 5pm. Over the years shorter walking days and shorter stages have gradually become the norm.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay if you'll be staying in SJPdP for a week or more? I'm thinking of voluteering at the pilgrim office next year and I believe I will need to make my own accommodations. Not sure if any of the places mentioned here allow longer stays or if they have private rooms.

Would appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay if you'll be staying in SJPdP for a week or more? I'm thinking of voluteering at the pilgrim office next year and I believe I will need to make my own accommodations. Not sure if any of the places mentioned here allow longer stays or if they have private rooms.

Would appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks!
Lots of private rooms in SJPdP. Just check Gronze

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I'm looking forward to my stay at Beilari in May. Some people may have deeply personal reasons for not wanting to divulge their motive for walking the Camino and I respect that. I have no such need and am happy to share with others.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back