• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

accomodation in SJPP

moonwood

Any recomendation for accomodation in SJPP? Either hostels or cheap/quiant hotels. For a good and affordable night sleep before commencing the long journey ahead.
Renata

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St Jean

The CSJ Guide suggests these:

1) Rooms at 24 Rue de la Citadelle for E24 (the main road through the old town - just a narrow cobbled way with lots of shops and refuges)

2) Hotel Camou E30 single

3) Ramuntcho 1 Rue de France E50 - half board

There are others are expensive and outside the old town but I am sure you would want to be in the old town.
Why don't you consider one of the refuges? You probably won't sleep the first night anyway (aeroplanes in your tummy!) so you might as well start your peregrina experience right from the word go. You will probably make friends and have someone to walk with on your first day.

Here are some of the refuges available:

1) Municipal Albergue 55 Rue de la Citadelle (Sleeps 12) E11

2) L'Espirit de Chemin 40 Rue de la Citadelle. (Sleeps 18)

check their website here: http://www.espritduchemin.org/

3) Small private gite at 9 Route de Uthuart (sleeps 12) E7

Good luck and buen camino!

Thanks Sil. Very attached to my sleep and not sleeping/being woken, is probably the main thing I'm concerned about (sleeping in dorms etc....) on the Camino experience. But will certainly consider your point about starting from word go!!!

Also, will it be best to decide on the either the Napoleon route versus the road route over the Pyrenees according to the weather on the day?

Renata

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Reneta,

What day are you starting your Camino. My daughter and I will be starting on March 24th from SJPP and hope to see you. We've been getting ready with the gear and the training and now can't wait till we are actually out walking.

Donna

Which route from St Jean

Take some earplugs. Take some camomile tea.
After a few days I was quite exhausted and managed to sleep through all the snoring. When I got back home, I could hardly sleep because of the 'heavy' silence in the room. Crazy hey?
You MUST - MUST - MUST - take the advice of the locals when deciding which way to walk from St Jean. There is a posting on this Forum from a guy who nearly died after being trapped in a blizzard on the Route Napoleon in March 2005. He didn't heed the advice of the locals and nearly paid the ultimate price.

This list of people who died on the camino is from a 2002 post on the go-camino forum:

A 48-year-old Brazilian who suffered a serious fall the Pyrenees during January and froze.
A 78-year-old French pilgrim crossing the Pyrenees during early April got lost and froze.
A 35-year old Japanese pilgrim who died near El Erro, from an existing illness.
A 25-year old Spanish student from Cadiz died in the Rabanal albergue from a combination of mononucleosis and pneumonia.
A 49-year old Navarrese died in the Ganso albergue from a pre-existing illness.
A middle-aged Canadian pilgrim was hit by an out-of-control car in Villatuerta while she was resting besides a highway.
A middle-aged German pilgrim suffered a fall in Sarria.
A 69-year old Canadian pilgrim died in the Sarria albergue from a
pre-existing condition.
A French pilgrim also died in Sarria from natural causes.
A 59-year old pilgrim who died near Ponferrada as a result of a bicycle accident.

The details of most of these fatal happenings were posted here when they happened. Although the deaths were sad and much to be regretted, it is somehow comforting to know that in almost all instances the relatives or friends of the demised pilgrims completed the pilgrimage for them, and that they are remembered in the Camino through plaques and stone memorials.

The less memorials we have the better! Be safe, be careful and buen camino.

Hi Donna,
I'm starting at SJPP on 30th or 31st March after a couple of days in Paris and Lourdes. Maybe a few days behind you, but maybe very nice to meet up along the way by chance. I'm getting quite excited too after a couple of months preparation and a few years dreaming. Happy pilgrimage.
Renata

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
the napoleon route

I feel very sad to hear of the unfortunate demise of some pilgrims. It is importtant to remember them. I will certainly take heed on your advice to listen to locals re: the route over the pyrenees. I do hope I will be able to take the more picturesque Napoleon route though, if weather permits.
Thanks again Sil.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.