• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation Other

Lskeen

Time of past OR future Camino
“2019”
We’re planning to walk from Carria to Santiago this June. Being in our 50’s we don’t really want to stay in dormitory style accomodation. What are the other options please? I’ve had a small look around booking.com, are there any other apps/ websites that people use to book in English. Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Lskeen, and welcome to the Forum :)

If you are using Booking.com it will give you a good overview of many lodging choices along that stretch of Camino Frances. Hotels, hostals, hostels, casa rurals, albergues with private rooms..... there are a lot of choices and price points. :)

Hi Lskeen!

Booking.com is one of the best ones to book accommodation in Spain. I sometimes use agoda.com as well because it gives me airline points, but Booking has a much larger range.

You may not need to worry about booking all the accommodation beforehand, usually just a day before is enough. So you can just see how your body feels on the day and book accordingly to the distance you want to walk.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just one thing about booking.com. When you put in the name of the town it gives you listings for various places around the town generally, sometimes 15km away.
So check your own map to make sure they are actually on the Camino, not a long detour, or even another days walk away.

Just one thing about booking.com. When you put in the name of the town it gives you listings for various places around the town generally, sometimes 15km away.
So check your own map to make sure they are actually on the Camino, not a long detour, or even another days walk away.

That is a really good point!!! One thing that will also help is to note in the lodging description that it states how far from the town's city center it is. Be sure to check it as it can list places, as Anamiri has noted, many km away.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hotels.com is also good and includes slightly pricier places as well, if you want to splurge - and you get a free room for every 10 nights paid for. Some, but not all, hotels are on both apps. There's also a "find special offers nearby" function if you just find yourself really tired of walking.

(If you use booking.com, make sure someone sends you the rebate link. Both you and they get 15 Euros the first time you use it...)

The Gronze website lists both albergues and private accommodation for the various stages. Those with a green symbol are albergues and the black symbol are hostals and similar with private rooms. Clicking on a name will give you further details of the place.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances#localidad-14

Last edited:
The advice above is very good. However, if Booking.com reports no rooms available for the dates you want, consider that they do not give ALL their rooms to Booking.com. They always hold some back for direct reservations, via their own website, email or phone reservations.

So, if Booking.com does not work. Go to Eroski.es or Gronze.com (Spanish only) to locate other properties in town, or the direct contact information for the place that did not work on Booking.com. Send them an email in Spanish (use Google Translate or the Bing Microsoft Translator to get close).

FYI Eroksi has a new smartphone app. It is available for iPhones on the Apple app store site... I just re-downloaded it from the US Apple app store... Search on Eroski. The result is Camino / Travel... It's free...

Once you DO get a reservation, SHOW UP. If your plans change, PLease contact the property and cancel the reservation, even if it costs you. If you are not going to use the room, another pilgrim is likely desperate to find a place. So, pay it forward.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello - I am also interested in accommodation availability especially in Orisson - can anyone tell me what are the chances of getting in there on 3rd April - ????? It doesn`t seem possible to book on line and it`s a long climb/walk to roncesvalles - I am 72 years old so would like to do a slow pace Camino ? Thank you in advance for info

Hello - I am also interested in accommodation availability especially in Orisson - can anyone tell me what are the chances of getting in there on 3rd April - ????? It doesn`t seem possible to book on line and it`s a long climb/walk to roncesvalles - I am 72 years old so would like to do a slow pace Camino ? Thank you in advance for info
You have to email Orisson directly

Hello - I am also interested in accommodation availability especially in Orisson - can anyone tell me what are the chances of getting in there on 3rd April - ????? It doesn`t seem possible to book on line and it`s a long climb/walk to roncesvalles - I am 72 years old so would like to do a slow pace Camino ? Thank you in advance for info[/QUOTE
This is the email you have to use to reach Orisson.
refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr
It usually takes a couple weeks for them to get back to you, because it’s closed for winter. When you do hear something back, it will come from “Sarl Apathia” he will let you know if they have a bed for you. He will tell you that he will send you an invoice that you pay through PayPal make sure and watch your junk mail for replies too. It took me 2.5 weeks to hear back from them. Good luck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you- I have emailed and await their reply - Best Wishes Maura

Another resource that has not yet been mentioned is the Only Pilgrims website (it’s not an app): http://onlypilgrims.com/
You can book in English by clicking the flag icon on the menu bar.
Many of the places that are bookable through Only Pilgrims have private rooms as well as hostel-type accommodations. As the site’s name shows, this is is booking for those who are traveling with a pilgrim credential. You prepay and show up. Easy. And Jesús, who handles issues (such as suggesting an alternative to a fully-booked albergue) is a pleasure to deal with.

Buen Camino,
Paul

Hi, Maura, and welcome to the Forum....

You have other options if Orisson does not work out for you. You can walk to Orisson, then take a taxi or shuttle back down to St Jean Pied de Port to spend the night. The next morning, take the taxi or shuttle BACK to Orisson and continue walking from there.

So you would, in effect, spend two nights in SJPdP and have the opportunity to have more time to explore and enjoy that village. If using this method, you may also find that once you walk to Orisson, you want to take a break there and grab some food and drink, but then walk even further up the road. Again, taxi or shuttle back down to SJPdP when you decide you are done walking.

Personally, staying at Orisson is not to my taste as it is with many others. On the 2 Camino's where I walked all the way to Roncesvalles the first day, I stopped both times for a long break at Orisson, ate bocadilla and other goodies, had fresh orange juice and some other soft drinks and enjoyed a bit of relaxation and looked around the facilities.

If I was not feeling up to walking to Roncesvalles, I would personally opt to stay back in St Jean. But that is just me, and is just an example of why Orisson is not an only option if walking the Napoleon Route.

Here is a video I took of walking the entire route which was edited by John Sikora, and is a step by step look at walking this stage. BTW, John Sikora has an entire video series of walking Camino Frances Step-by-Step. Of course it is in a Hyperlapsed time frame so that rather than hours, each stage takes an average of 20 minutes to view. :)

We’re planning to walk from Carria to Santiago this June. Being in our 50’s we don’t really want to stay in dormitory style accomodation. What are the other options please? I’ve had a small look around booking.com, are there any other apps/ websites that people use to book in English. Thanks
Booking.com has never failed us.

Booking.com, Hotels.com, and direct contact have all worked for me without any disappointments. As someone has said, if Booking and Hotels show no vacancies direct contact with the property might still get you one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I walked from SJPDP to SdC in July 2019 and stayed only in hotels where I had private room with private bathroom. It worked perfectly as I could fall in sleep without others noise and I enjoyed it very much to have my own space every day. The only thing you have to make sure with Booking.com is to choose places where cancellation is free of charge and make sure that distance from Camino path to the hotel is not to big.

I walked that route in June and always stayed in pensions or hostals. I never booked ahead and never ever had difficulty in finding accommodation. However, I would point out that I always started out early each morning and usually finished walking by about 2pm.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.