• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation San Juan De Ortega

Copas

Time of past OR future Camino
Arriving Bilbao on Oct 20th and walking for 6 days from Pamplona. We previously walked SJPP to Pamp
Guy's,
Can you please recommend any locations for accomodation at San Juan De Ortega or surrounding area's , we will be in that area on June 2nd this year.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For both San Juan Ortega and Ages see Etapa 12 in the following

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at the Albergues El Pajar de Ages in 2015. A quick check on the internet indicates it's still there. Sweet little town 2 km after San Juan.

We stayed at the hostel. Very nice. Loved the brothers who ran the bar. We had dinner there in front of a nice fire on a rainy, chilly day. Decent food, freshly cooked, cheerfully served, and the camaraderie with the handful of other pilgrims from the hostel was like having a communal meal. It seems those staying at the albergue entered and never came out til the next morning.

The best part of the stay, though, was Mass and the pilgrim blessing following. Very special.

I'd happily stay there again.

I have stayed in San Juan de Ortega and have stayed in Ages.
I liked them both. Both had adequate albergues and San Juan has that wonderful old church. I stayed in the albergue there. It is in an old monastery I think, and I went next door to that little bar and had some cold beer.
If you get there and you are feeling energetic, just walk the few km's down to Ages. A couple nice albergues there. Either way, like most of the Camino Frances, you won't make a wrong choice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
An easy 3-4 kms further in Ages the first Albergue as you enter the village (on the left) is run by a very kind brother and sister. The dinners have always been very nice and the hospitality was perfect, she actually remembered me after a 4-year absence. Pushing on to Ages also shaves a few kms off the walk into Burgos the next day which is a bonus.

We stayed at HR La Henera. It was wonderful and not too expensive. As I recall the two brothers who run the bar also run the HR (I think we checked in with them at the bar). As already stated above they are friendly and helpful, and we had a superb meal at their bar. They were also the ones who introduced me to "Tinto de verano", and I am forever in their debt. But I digress.... Buen Camino

As I recall the two brothers who run the bar also run the HR

I stayed at La Henera last year. I paid €40 for the room with breakfast. It's new and very small, about a dozen rooms, and I was given the disabled one on the ground floor with a wet room. I had meals across the road in the bar, which is where you check in (and are given your dinner slot - the bar is quite small, too!

My room was heated, for which I was grateful on a chilly spring morning (it's over 1000m above sea level.)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Albuergue there was a bit worn, a bit large, and more than a bit noisy (slamming doors, very close beds, etc). BUT, it is historic and they do a simple communal dinner there (on a very large scale due to the size of the place).

Regardless, visit the church - Saint Juan of Ortega himself is actually IN the building!!!!! Well, his interred remains, but still worth a visit...

I stayed also at the hotel - La Herera. The 2 brothers who own the hotel also run the bar/restaurant across the street. I really enjoyed staying in this town, the 6pm Pilgrim Mass was special. Waking the next day and walking to Ages for breakfast made my day! Buen Camino!

Guy's,
Can you please recommend any locations for accomodation at San Juan De Ortega or surrounding area's , we will be in that area on June 2nd this year.
I’m staying in Hotel Rural la Henera. Looks really cute. Have to google & email directly. Will be there in May.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Guy's,
Check Brierley's book. I believe there is one by the cathedral. Also, I seem to recall tgat the restaurant has beds.

I've posted on this previously but I left my passport at la Taberna de Ages and they WhatsApped me to tell me and drove it to me in Burgos so I am forever indebted to them! Plus they had a great bar for dinner and breakfast.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I stayed at the albergue by the church. It was crowded the time I was there but I would trade anything for the mass and meal afterwards.
I still wear the cross of San Juan de Ortega that the priest blessed and handed out.
One of my favorite places

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m having difficulty making a reservation in that area and wondering if there are advantages to staying in Sahagun after walking from Bercianos?
Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Guy's,
San Juan becomes a bit of a bottle neck from memory and people start to worry about finding accomodation. I walked an extra 3 km which was an easy and beautiful walk to Ages and stayed at an slbergue called the hay loft. Ages in my opinion was a was a much nicer place to stay.

I’m having difficulty making a reservation in that area and wondering if there are advantages to staying in Sahagun after walking from Bercianos?
Thanks!

@Carolyn Gwin Bercianos and Sahagun are about 6 - 7 stages past the area being discussed here, so you might want to start a separate thread with your question. However, I would very highly recommend the Monastero Santa Cruz in Sahagun. And if you started from Roncesvilles or further back, be sure to stop at the church/museum up the hill for a lovely "halfway" certificate.

@Carolyn Gwin Bercianos and Sahagun are about 6 - 7 stages past the area being discussed here, so you might want to start a separate thread with your question. However, I would very highly recommend the Monastero Santa Cruz in Sahagun. And if you started from Roncesvilles or further back, be sure to stop at the church/museum up the hill for a lovely "halfway" certificate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you! I realized my mistake after posting and couldn’t figure out how to delete it. Did you get a Compostela for completing half of the Camino in Sahagun. Is there even such a thing?

Did you get a Compostela for completing half of the Camino in Sahagun. Is there even such a thing?

The Compostela and the certificate in Sahagun are two different things.

The "halfway certificate" in Sahagun has no connection to the Compostela, but it is a really nice certificate which quotes from the medieval Codex, has great artwork, and is on nicer paper, IMHO 😉. It's issued by the church-museum in Sahagun for 3€ and includes entrance to the museum. You must show your credential to prove you've walked at least from Roncesvilles.

The Compostela is given only through the Cathedral in Santiago for making a pilgrimage to the Tomb of St. James. You must walk a minimum of 100 contiguous kilometers into Santiago to qualify, showing at least 2 sellos (stamps) in your credential for each day of those 100k to prove that's what you did. No charge.

The Cathedral also issues a distance certificate for those who wish. This states how far you walked total. 3€.

Both of these are issued by the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

There can be a lot of confusion over these various certificates, so I hope this helps clarify. 🙂

Others on this site posted that a certifcate for walking the first half is given by the Iglesia de Peregrina in Sahagun. I know there are many myths about Camino experiences. Hope this isn’t one of them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed at the albergue by the church. It was crowded the time I was there but I would trade anything for the mass and meal afterwards.
I still wear the cross of San Juan de Ortega that the priest blessed and handed out.
One of my favorite places
Yes, I really enjoyed that big communal meal.

Others on this site posted that a certifcate for walking the first half is given by the Iglesia de Peregrina in Sahagun. I know there are many myths about Camino experiences. Hope this isn’t one of them.

Well, I got one last spring, as did everyone else staying at my albergue! 😄 I'm traveling over the next few days or I'd post a photo. Buen Camino!

Apologies to everyone reading about San Juan de Ortega for hijacking this thread. 😔

This is a museum and probably closed on Mondays like many other museums. It is also closed for siesta but it does exist and sells a certificate that I have translated as
Let all know seeing this Pilgrim Certificate that [name] has passed through the Leonese lands of Sahagun, geographical center of the Camino Frances, where, as reported in the Codex Calixtinus, "... prodigous in all types of goods, one encounters the meadow, of which they say that in days gone by, the shining lances that the victorious warriors had thurst into the ground for the glory of the Lord came to life again." and it further attests that he has found rest for the fatigues of the body and relief for the spirit.

The inhabitants of this noble town give him encouragement to continue his camino and to arrive with safe passage at the house of the Lord Saint James, where we hope he retains a memory of the reception we have given him.

And for a record that can be presented before whoever demands it I sign this in Sahagun, on the [day] of [month] of the year of our Lord [year]

The Mayor.

[name]

Jacobean Pilgrims' Association Region of Sahagun

- Leon -

Pilgrim Certificate [number]

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I apologize for the hijacking of the thread but everybody loves their stamps and surely will want an additional certificate. Please share the name of the museum that gives the certificate. That will make 2 locations in Sahagun that give it.

I apologize for the hijacking of the thread but everybody loves their stamps and surely will want an additional certificate. Please share the name of the museum that gives the certificate. That will make 2 locations in Sahagun that give it.
It is one place. It used to be a convent or something but is now a museum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back