• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation St. Jean Pied de Port

GavinSkull

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues / Camino Frances
Can you recommend hostels in St. Jean Pied? I was looking at Gite Makila but it is booked for my first night, which is a shame but will check again later. I have never needed to book ahead doing the Portugues and Primitivo but understand the Frances is more popular, and see on the forum people do book ahead, so do I need to?
I was also wondering what the average price is on Camino Frances, it seems from looking at a few hostels in St. Jean Pied prices are still cheap around 15-20€ since Covid tourism price hikes. Previously doing parts of Portugues and Prmitivo in 2018/19 prices were on average 10-12€ and the highest I paid was 18€ for a hostel/albergue but I did treat myself to a few BnB/3* hotel along the way.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Albergue Zuharpeta worked nicely for me. Overtop of a restaurant, which was also convenient, very hospitable couple who were very helpful

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
As per many other recommendations of members of the Board I stayed in Beilari and loved every minute of it.
As to the average price - I think 12-15€ was norm on my May-June Camino. it may go up if you venture into more 'posh' private albergues\hostels or down (municipal\donativos). I was successful of snagging couple of private rooms for 25€ along the way.
Good luck and Buen Camino

When are you planning to go? If it's in September I recommend booking up to Pamplona, since September is the most popular month for starting from SJPDP.
I have stayed at Beilari and Gite Bidean. Both offered a communal dinner.
Stayed in Beillari once. It is a little on the expensive side. But you get a fantastic start to your camino. Helps rid people of pre camino jitters. I made a few friends in 2015 that I am still friends with. The "veterans" went through 4 or 5 peoples backpacks which were larger than the people carrying them. One pack we advised the woman to leave more than half of the things she brought behind. She didn't and I heard later she went home even before Pamplona. Great dinner and breakfast and just a wonderful experience. The memories of that albergue make the cost a bargain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 2019, we stayed at the Gite Bidean. They offered both dorm beds as well as private rooms. Very nice, clean accommodations. We also took the pilgrim’s dinner with them which was very good. It’s right on the main street so very centrally located. I’d recommend booking beds in SJPP, Roncesvalles, and Zubiri. By the time you reach Pamplona, you’ll have a good sense about whether or not you need to book any further ahead. Most of the time, if you do need to book ahead, doing it just a day in advance is more than enough. Buen Camino!

Can you recommend hostels in St. Jean Pied? I was looking at Gite Makila but it is booked for my first night, which is a shame but will check again later. I have never needed to book ahead doing the Portugues and Primitivo but understand the Frances is more popular, and see on the forum people do book ahead, so do I need to?
I was also wondering what the average price is on Camino Frances, it seems from looking at a few hostels in St. Jean Pied prices are still cheap around 15-20€ since Covid tourism price hikes. Previously doing parts of Portugues and Prmitivo in 2018/19 prices were on average 10-12€ and the highest I paid was 18€ for a hostel/albergue but I did treat myself to a few BnB/3* hotel along the way.
I stayed at Maizon Simonenia, on the Camino route. Ran by a mother and daughter team. Very clean, quiet and the price includes breakfast. If you plan ro do the route to Roncesvalles in two days, I highly recommend Albergue Borda, a few minutes past Orisson. Ama zing place. Includes dinner and breakfast.

In my opinion, you will not find a better start to your Camino than with a stay at Beilari. Nice accommodation and great communal meal that will give you a dozen new pilgrim friends. I stayed there in September 2019 for two nights. Great memories and actually finished the Camino on the same day as 3 of the people who I stayed with. I crossed path with 6-7 throughout my Camino (30 days) and it was always like finding long lost friends. Which it was!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sitting in the train station in Bayonne, a kind fellow pilgrim introduced himself and asked where I plan to stay that night (in SJPP) in April of 2018. As I hadn’t made any arrangements, he made a call and I was welcomed there, enjoyed a lovely ‘launching’ communal dinner, evening and rest. We woke up to breakfast and a packed lunch as well as recommendations to ‘lighten the backpack’. It was such a cherished beginning that I will always remember.
NancyLee from Canada 🇨🇦

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Aug 2018, I stayed at Gure Lana, short walk past the Citadel.
Wonderful hosts, lovely room.
I’d be happy to stay there again.
Buen Camino😁

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back