• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodation Valencia.

coober

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009,
VdlP 2014
Del Norte 50% 2017
Primitivo 2017
Hello everybody,

Just tried to book a couple of nights at Pension Paris Valencia, sadly my preferred dates are all booked. So I was wondering if somebody could recommend something similar in Valencia,

cheers
David

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
if you dont find some good places, try couchsurfing. almost cheep and superfriendly.

Hello everybody,

Just tried to book a couple of nights at Pension Paris Valencia, sadly my preferred dates are all booked. So I was wondering if somebody could recommend something similar in Valencia,

cheers
David
What a pity Pension Paris is booked. Vanessa is really friendly and communicate in English also. Air b'n'b or similar is good idea especially if you want to stay few days in Valencia before starting Camino. For one night only I'd go for youth hostel and wouldn't be afraid of the crowd because most of the Levante you'll be alone in albergues ;)

When do you start, David?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you haven't tried contacting the pension directly, I would try that. If what you're seeing is that booking.com doesn't have any rooms, that doesn't mean the pension is full, it only means that that Booking.com has filled up its allotment.

I would also ask Vanessa for a recommendation if in fact she is full. http://www.pensionparis.com/contact/

Kinky is a lot younger than I am, so my reaction to his suggestion of a youth hostel may sound curmudgeonly, but I would never stay in a youth hostel in central Valencia the night before I started to walk the Camino. Unless party central is your idea of the way to spend your last night before walking. Nothing wrong with those young, enthusiastic, enebriated college kids, but I don't want to share a room with them. ;)

when I walked the Levante years ago I stayed in Pension Universal in Calle Barcas. Cheap and clean. It's got a lot of ticks on Tripadvisor so presumably OK still

If you haven't tried contacting the pension directly, I would try that. If what you're seeing is that booking.com doesn't have any rooms, that doesn't mean the pension is full, it only means that that Booking.com has filled up its allotment.

I would also ask Vanessa for a recommendation if in fact she is full. http://www.pensionparis.com/contact/

Kinky is a lot younger than I am, so my reaction to his suggestion of a youth hostel may sound curmudgeonly, but I would never stay in a youth hostel in central Valencia the night before I started to walk the Camino. Unless party central is your idea of the way to spend your last night before walking. Nothing wrong with those young, enthusiastic, enebriated college kids, but I don't want to share a room with them. ;)
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
if you dont find some good places, try couchsurfing. almost cheep and superfriendly.

franco santiago, thanks for the suggestion, I might look into couchsurfing.

When do you start, David?

sometime middle August.

thanks Laurie, I have emailed Vanessa.

not too sure how this reply will look, first time I have tried inserting multiple quotes.

One more thing, coober,
The other real advantage about staying at the Pension Paris is that Vanessa will probably be willing to go buy you a copy of the Amigos guide (available in English and Spanish) and have it for you at the pension when you arrive. IMO it is the clear hands down winner for a written guide. The Amigos sell them on their website, but at least for those of us from North America, the cost of the electronic transfer is about as much as the cost of the book.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Remember that the airport bus takes you very near to the Pension Paris. With regards to the Amigos Guide, I would just say that I never used the maps... It is too heavy a combination and they are impossible to consult easily. Actually I never took the maps with me. The guide itself was getting somewhat out of date two years ago - have they updated? A pity that CSJ cannot have a stock in the UK and likewise the US organisation... I remember that an anniversary of St Teresa of Avila was sowing up - it could be this year. I would recommend booking up for a couple of nights in Toledo and Avila (you can reserve at Youth Hostels as long as you are a member and have a credit card of some sort.) The one at Toledo was great and I stayed for three nights. The one at Avila was on the way in but 10 mins to centre. I was alone in a four bedder each time! Booking gives you certainty and a goal. You can call and alter the date. Toledo was really busy and the recommendations of other pilgrims were booked out.

By the way, you can join the Scottish YHA online and it is the best value. A Credencial may get you in but does not allow you to book.... Also they keep your YHA card as surety for the sheets!!!

If you do stay at the Toledo YHA you can use the hospital cafeteria just up the road. It is an old castle, prominently poised on the opposite bank of the river across the pedestrianised bridge.

My last recommendation is to blow the budget somewhat and have lunch in the restaurant of the Parador. The Menu del Dia with El Greco's viewpoint. Amazing and civilised and away from the tourist buses. The staff were so nice and gave me extra treats and wine. I went several times...

I got my copy of the Guide in El Cortes Ingles in Valencia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One more thing, coober,
The other real advantage about staying at the Pension Paris is that Vanessa will probably be willing to go buy you a copy of the Amigos guide (available in English and Spanish) and have it for you at the pension when you arrive. IMO it is the clear hands down winner for a written guide. The Amigos sell them on their website, but at least for those of us from North America, the cost of the electronic transfer is about as much as the cost of the book.
Spot on I asked her to pickup a copy for me in Sept. and it was no problem, nearly there.

hmmm that worked
Hi Mate, I am another Aussie walking the Levante but I will starting on the 5th Sept. after a few days in Valencia at the Paris we should try and keep in touch as we follow each other. Trevor

Remember that the airport bus takes you very near to the Pension Paris. With regards to the Amigos Guide, I would just say that I never used the maps... It is too heavy a combination and they are impossible to consult easily. Actually I never took the maps with me. The guide itself was getting somewhat out of date two years ago - have they updated? A pity that CSJ cannot have a stock in the UK and likewise the US organisation... I remember that an anniversary of St Teresa of Avila was sowing up - it could be this year. I would recommend booking up for a couple of nights in Toledo and Avila (you can reserve at Youth Hostels as long as you are a member and have a credit card of some sort.) The one at Toledo was great and I stayed for three nights. The one at Avila was on the way in but 10 mins to centre. I was alone in a four bedder each time! Booking gives you certainty and a goal. You can call and alter the date. Toledo was really busy and the recommendations of other pilgrims were booked out.

By the way, you can join the Scottish YHA online and it is the best value. A Credencial may get you in but does not allow you to book.... Also they keep your YHA card as surety for the sheets!!!

If you do stay at the Toledo YHA you can use the hospital cafeteria just up the road. It is an old castle, prominently poised on the opposite bank of the river across the pedestrianised bridge.

My last recommendation is to blow the budget somewhat and have lunch in the restaurant of the Parador. The Menu del Dia with El Greco's viewpoint. Amazing and civilised and away from the tourist buses. The staff were so nice and gave me extra treats and wine. I went several times...

Hi, filly, I agree completely about the maps. For those who haven't seen the guide, it is in two parts. The first part, a spiral book, has individual maps inserted at the right place in the guide. The other part is a little box with only maps. So you can easily leave those behind. There is a Spanish version of the guide, dated 2013, but the English version may not have been updated yet. Maps will be the updated ones, though, so there shouldn't be too many problems.

And about the youth hostels -- in Toledo there is a relatively new one, which is much better located than the one on the way in. https://www.alberguelospascuales.com We stayed there two nights, in a 4 bunk room. Great location, very clean, good price, terrible breakfast. (BTW, we didn't need a youth hostel card, we were fine with our credenciales).

To go off on a little Toledo tangent, I also agree with filly that it would be a shame to just walk right through. If you have time, take at least an extra night. Toledo is amazing. Filled with tourists, true, but at night it empties out and there is just so much to see. Our rest day there was a Monday so we couldn't go to the El Greco museum, but our Plan B was great -- we bought a tourist bracelet (pulsera turistica) that gave access to 6 or 7 places, some of which I would never have visited otherwise. http://www.toledomonumental.com -- mosque, synagogue, steeple tower views, an El Greco masterpiece. And the walk into Toledo on the Levante, OMG...... It makes all those kms on asphalt so worth it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes Laurie. You are so right. Walking in towards Toledo, once over the brow of the last hill, you caught the same view as El Greco of Toledo. Unforgettable. Thanks for the tourist bracelet advice.... I plan to go back. To go back to the YHA membership card - this allowed me to RESERVE a place which was vital at peak tourist time. A credential would not have allowed that I was informed. Breakfast was too late and rubbish as you say... but available as I say a short way up the hill in the hospital canteen (great outdoors view too!)

Oh, I think the guidebook from Valencia is the best one I've had so far on any camino. Okay, the "maps" in the spiral book are not very detailed but overall it was good info and I would never have gone without it. I had the Spanish version though so it was quite update (2013). Sureste guidebook from Alicante more or less the same (but from 2010). On the other hand, I just recieved my guidebook from Madrid for this summer's Camino and I'm not impressed...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.