• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodations between St. Jean Pied and Irun for summer 2022

Time of past OR future Camino
July 22 - SJDP - GR10 - Norte - Primitivo - Porto
I plan to walk the north route this summer (2022) and have a good idea of what to expect between Irun and Santiago. But the walk between St. Jean Pied and Irun is a little uncertain when it comes to affordable accomodations.
Does anyone have recent experience with going this way. Judging by distance it looks like the stops would be Bidarray first night and the St. Pee Sur Nivelle area the second night. Does that sound reasonable? So far I have only found hotels that can be a bit pricey. I would like to find some pilgrim friendly places to stay.
Any recommendations?

Thank you for your thoughts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can’t help but wonder why you’re planning to start the Norte in StJdP. I’m thinking that the logistics of getting from Colorado to StJ might make a little bit of hotel cost inconsequential.
You could start the Norte from Hendaye on a route that has tradition and accessibility in its favour

As of today (Feb 2022), Basque public albergues are still closed due to Covid precautions. That will make your journey more reliant upon hotels and such.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't done this but it looks workable (except for covid closures). From Pamplona walk the Camino Baztan in reverse. Or some how make a connection to the Baztan earlier from SJPdP. Either way you want to end up in Berroeta. In non-covid times the Baztan had albergues.

From Berroeta head north off camino towards Mugairi where you can pick up the Via Verde Bidasoa, a rail trail heading to Irun.

For Via Verde lodgings:

Last edited:
Can’t help but wonder why you’re planning to start the Norte in StJdP. I’m thinking that the logistics of getting from Colorado to StJ might make a little bit of hotel cost inconsequential.
You could start the Norte from Hendaye on a route that has tradition and accessibility in its favour
Thank you for your reply - I feel like I want to experience SJDP as part of the greater Camino experience. And then make my way to Hendaye and beyond as you suggest.

Thank you for your reply - I feel like I want to experience SJDP as part of the greater Camino experience. And then make my way to Hendaye and beyond as you suggest.
Hi,

If you scroll to the bottom of this spreadsheet focused primarily on the Le Puy route, you can find available accommodations on the two routes linking SJPDP and Hendaye: the GR10 and the Voie Nive Bidassoa:

Dave

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St Jean Pied de Port is a cute little French town, but not necessary for the Camino experience - especially if you are walking a different route.
It seems almost counterproductive to go there for the purpose of seeing and engaging with pilgrims, and then leave the next morning in the opposite direction.

I have no problem with that plan, as long as it doesn't become a hassle in itself.

St Jean Pied de Port is a cute little French town, but not necessary for the Camino experience - especially if you are walking a different route.

However, if that's the path that you want to take it sounds like it could be interesting.

I plan to walk the north route this summer (2022) and have a good idea of what to expect between Irun and Santiago. But the walk between St. Jean Pied and Irun is a little uncertain when it comes to affordable accomodations.
Does anyone have recent experience with going this way. Judging by distance it looks like the stops would be Bidarray first night and the St. Pee Sur Nivelle area the second night. Does that sound reasonable? So far I have only found hotels that can be a bit pricey. I would like to find some pilgrim friendly places to stay.
Any recommendations?

Below you have the topos guides and GPX route of the pilgrimage route from SJPDP to Irun marked out by our association as well as the accommodation

Like others already said, I don't quite understand why you would want to do this. It is your choice though. Last year I walked from SjpdP to irun. I walked the Le Puy route. Some years ago I walked the Camino del Norte. Now I wanted to connect these two caminos.
I stayed in the albergue in Bidarray , the second night I stayed in Espelette in a hostel of the painter Andy Bleu, the third night I stayed in Urrugne in a private accomodation in Urrugne (airbnb)
The markings were not very clear and confusing sometimes (different routes) on decisive points sometimes lacking. On the internet you can find route descriptions, sometimes they contradict each other. The description you can get in the pilgrims office is not very clear either, it is an amorphous peace of text. In the end you will get in Irun of course. If the weather is good I would walk the last day as close to the sea as possible and walk through Hondaribia. Buen Camino, I trust you will enjoy the Camino del Norte.

Below you have the topos guides and GPX route of the pilgrimage route from SJPDP to Irun marked out by our association as well as the accommodation
Thank you so much!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last fall I walked from SJPP to Hendaye on the Voie Nive-Bidassoa using information from the association in the pilgrim's office at SJPP. They can provide handouts with directions plus lodging and give you updates. I didn't have any problems finding open lodging and stayed in pilgrim friendly (low cost) locations.

The Voie Nive-Bidassoa is a wonderful walk through Basque country. I stayed in Bidarray (22 kms), Espelette (16 kms), St. Pèe sur Nivelle (12 kms, a great communal gîte), St. Jean de Luz (20 kms, association gîte), then to Hendaye (20 kms) or you can directly from St. Pee s/Nivelle to Hendaye which is 25 kms. I didn't stay in Hendaye because that's where I ended my walk and caught a bus back to St. Jean de Luz. Hopefully there will be some pilgrim friendly options. Hondarribia would be a wonderful place to stay. Here's a link to information: http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.12.deL2_SJP-Iru.htm, also Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques Pyrénées-Atlantiques has a website providing info.

Bon chemin!

Quote Reply

Last fall I walked from SJPP to Hendaye on the Voie Nive-Bidassoa using information from the association in the pilgrim's office at SJPP. They can provide handouts with directions plus lodging and give you updates. I didn't have any problems finding open lodging and stayed in pilgrim friendly (low cost) locations.

The Voie Nive-Bidassoa is a wonderful walk through Basque country. I stayed in Bidarray (22 kms), Espelette (16 kms), St. Pèe sur Nivelle (12 kms, a great communal gîte), St. Jean de Luz (20 kms, association gîte), then to Hendaye (20 kms) or you can directly from St. Pee s/Nivelle to Hendaye which is 25 kms. I didn't stay in Hendaye because that's where I ended my walk and caught a bus back to St. Jean de Luz. Hopefully there will be some pilgrim friendly options. Hondarribia would be a wonderful place to stay. Here's a link to information: http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.12.deL2_SJP-Iru.htm, also Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques Pyrénées-Atlantiques has a website providing info.

Bon chemin!

Quote Reply
Thank you - very helpful information!

Any recommendations?

I can only recommend the GR10 SJPDP/Irun-Hendaye, but only if you are experienced in hiking and if you are free from giddiness! This is a tough stretch there!
enjoy Dennis

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Any recommendations?

I’ve done this section twice…
Once five years ago with five of my six children , the other three when we hiked this part of the GR 10 on the French side and then turned around to do the GR 11 On the spanish.
It was some of my favorite hiking, and think if someone has the time they should start their Norte here!
We camped out!!! It’s on my blog… so no help with accommodations, but my heart leaps just typing this/ loved it!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from IrĂşn to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back