• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

accomodations in Leon

crisnelson

Hello all,

I am arriving in Madrid on 28 August, and going directly from the airport to Leon via bus.

I would like to spend my first night in a reasonably-priced room w/ private bath not too far from the bus station, in a hotel, pension, or parador, so that I can start the Camino well-rested on the 29th. Nothing fancy, just a clean & quiet place I can lay my head. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay? Thanks! Cris

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
El año pasado estuve un fin de semana en León y me aloje en el hostal que te pongo a continuación. Estaba muy bien, muy cerca de la catedral y pegado a la muralla de León. Está a unos diez o quince minutos andando desde la estación de autobuses de León. Por la habitación doble creo que pagamos 55 euros.

Last year I spent a weekend in Leon and I stayed at the hostel that I put below. He was very good, very near the cathedral and adjacent to the wall of Leon. It is about ten or fifteen minute walk from the bus station in Leon. In the room I think I paid 55 euros.

http://www.hospederiafernandoi.com/hospederia.htm

A couple of weeks ago I stayed at the Pension Sandoval. 5 minutes from the camino and close to the Albergue Carbajal, a room for one person €25 with shared bath room. They speak English.
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/pensia3 ... rrency=EUR

Happy planning!
buen camino!
annie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm starting in leon on September 1 2014. A friend suggested I stay in a private hostel around 20 beds as apposed to a municipal one. Easier to maybe meet someone that may be on their own or join in on the first day at least. Any suggestions ??

A friend suggested I stay in a private hostel around 20 beds as apposed to a municipal one.
I am not sure what the friend has in mind. These are the albergue (hostel) options for Leon, and none are that size.

Albergue del convento de las carbajalas
134 plazas |
5 euros (d) | Sin cocina

Residencia-Albergue Ademar
200 plazas |
10 euros | Sin cocina

Albergue Santo Tomás de Canterbury
60 plazas |
>8 euros | Cocina de uso libre

Albergue Miguel de Unamuno
86 plazas |
10-18 euros | Cenas

Try booking.com for Hostal Restaurante Boccalino, Plaza San Isidoro which is quite central (only a few minutes stroll from Cathedral and Tourist Office). I have stayed there a couple of times and think it is very comfortable. I see that they have a room for the 28th for 28 euros. It is in an area with a few bars. It is a quiet hotel so you should get a good nights sleep. The Camino goes through the Plaza outside.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for your help and advice
But nervous on my own on the first day

We stayed at Hotel Temple Riosol last Sept. while in Leon. We found it clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. This hotel is next to the train station, close to the bus terminal, and has easy walking to the center.

I would like to spend my first night in a reasonably-priced room w/ private bath not too far from the bus station, in a hotel, pension, or parador, so that I can start the Camino well-rested on the 29th. Nothing fancy, just a clean & quiet place I can lay my head. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay? Thanks! Cris

Chris-- the bus station is not far from the cathedral historical center area- maybe 10-12 minute walk, so no need to focus in that area specifically. I strongly recommend you stay closer to the historical center area which would place you very convenient to sightseeing choices, other pilgrims, and on the Camino trail. I recommend Hostal Albany (http://albanyleon.com/en/default.asp) located kitty-corner with the Cathedral, not expensive, and on the Camino. Another Hostal I hear rave reviews was Hostal Guzman el Bueno (http://hostalguzman.es/new/). Back in 1997, my first Camino, I stayed at Posada Regia, at the time a real "Posada" :). Currently, it is more of a hotel, but the service has actually degraded. Don't bother. Another piece of advice I have posted before: IF you are limited by time and want to finish in Santiago, bus ahead the Leon-Hospital de Orbigo stretch. I have done both routes from Leon and definitely not one to bus ahead if not for medical reasons. However, looking back 5 Caminos later, this is the ONLY stretch I would had wished I had bussed ahead so I could go slower at the amazing stretches ahead, i.e. Molinaseca, Ponferrada, after O'Cebreiro...Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.