• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomodations in Saint Jean pied de Port

Diane Borden

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2021, and 2022
My friend and I will be arriving in Saint Jean on the train a little after 6 on July 13th. We'll spend the night and start walking the morning of the 14th. I've got a long list of accomodations in front of me. What are your favorites for our Camino walking eve?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I recommend the Hotel des Pyrenees. It's quite comfortable and has good soundproofing for a peaceful rest. It's also got air-conditioning, which is very useful in July.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It depends on what you want. If you are just arriving from a long trip and want private accommodation, then you would make certain choices. If you want to start the camino bonding experience right away, you might decide to stay in an albergue-type of accommodation where the pilgrim interaction is a significant part.

Even if you decide to take the private accommodation for that first night, you will have plenty of opportunity to meet others in the days following, particularly if you and your friend make a point of walking separately at times.

For those who tent camp, there is a city ran campground as well.
Exit through the arch by the church
Turn left. Walk on path. Turn right @ pedestrian bridge (which is about 50 mts from church with the arch).
Has showers, toilets, kitchen sink with hot water.
Man who does fee collection stops by in the late afternoon to register and collect few euro fee.
Many bikers and walkers stay there.
Quick easy walk into town and places to eat.
Ask for directions at TI if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My friend and I will be arriving in Saint Jean on the train a little after 6 on July 13th. We'll spend the night and start walking the morning of the 14th. I've got a long list of accomodations in front of me. What are your favorites for our Camino walking eve?
You will be arriving the evening before July 14th, Bastille Day, France's national holiday. There may be dancing in the street and/or fireworks. Little will be open on the 14th. Be prepared!

For further info re what is planned for the holiday contact the
Office de tourisme de Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
14 place Charles de Gaulle
64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Tél : 05 59 37 03 57 / Fax 05 59 37 34 91
Courriel/email: saint.jean.pied.de.port@wanadoo.fr

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Last edited:
We stayed at Gite Izaxulo during our 2017 camino in two private rooms with private bathrooms. My brother and his wife walked the Camino Frances with us. The place was nice and the owner / hospitalero was very friendly. The downside was that the doors did not open until 3 pm. We arrived on the bus around 11:30, so we had to carry our backpacks with us, including the steep streets of St Jean for over 3 hours. During our camino last year, we splurged and stayed at Central Hotel, in a private room with private bath. Our room had a balcony that overlooked the river and mountainside. We were able to drop our backpacks off in the lobby until a room was available. We did our laundry nearby in town and the owner hung our freshly washed clothes to dry. We ate dinner at the hotel and it was delicious. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and we have reservations to stay there again this fall. Bob

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We stayed in a lovely private room at Gite Bidean. There is a dorm as well. Wonderful hosts and a communal meal, breakfast in the morning.

For a good communal meal and the opportunity to meet some folks before you begin, check out Beilari.
I agree about Beilari. Clean and comfortable. Fantastic communal meal and great preparation for your walk before you begin. Before dinner everyone meets to introduce themselves and it is a great way for first time walkers to voice their fears and anxieties they may have, as we all do, before they set out in the morning. It was not my first camino but I can tell you I met some fantastic people that night and I am still good friends with one pilgrim I met at Beilari.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We stayed at a bed and breakfast just outside the main village, Villa Harriet, 23 Route d'Arneguy, 64220 Uhart-Cize. I highly recommend it as it is comfortable and quiet (nestled in a vineyard). Breakfast is provided in the morning. I'd like to spend more time there. URL: https://villaharriet.eus/en/

OMG, I am walking July 14 to 28 SJPP to Burgos. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Beilari is a good option. Across the street from the Pilgrims' Office. Book now if interested. Fills up fast.

We stayed at a bed and breakfast just outside the main village, Villa Harriet, 23 Route d'Arneguy, 64220 Uhart-Cize. I highly recommend it as it is comfortable and quiet (nestled in a vineyard). Breakfast is provided in the morning. I'd like to spend more time there. URL: https://villaharriet.eus/en/
I just took a look and it looks nice but at 100 euros a night off season it may be a little steep for the average pilgrim budget when one needs accommodation for 40 nights. I am willing to pay that and more to stay at the light house at Fisterre or in a Parador or another historical building. So I recommend staying in town at Beilari that first night because you get to get into the spirit of the Camino.

I’ve stayed at this place 3 times starting and ending different caminos. Can’t recommend it highly enough. Only suggestion I’d have is give yourself a rest day before starting. Funnily enough the first day is the hardest physical day of the whole walk. Amazing breakfast. Great home. Say hi to Zubi the dog.

Maison Donamaria
1 Chemin d’Olhonce
64220 Saint Jean Pied de Port
France

www.donamaria.fr
cell : 0033 / 661 90 29 21

PLAY Donamaria's Vidéo :

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I arrived late at night (10:30 PM) and everything was closed. Fortunately I met two Canadian fellows on the bus who were kind enough to loan me a tarp. We all slept on the ground at the campsite. I wrapped up in my blanket and the tarp while they were in their tent. It was a very cold and uncomfortable night.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back