• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accueil Jacquaire’s

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Again, soon as possible!
Hi folks, I’m walking from Geneva on April 6th. Today I received my 2015 Yellow Guide so now I’m about all set to go! However I have a question for those that have stayed with Accueil Jacquare’s. I understand the principle, and that I should book ahead at least 24 hours in advance (preferably ringing in the evening). But what about the cost? From what I can gather from the Yellow Guide it is not by donation but is the price fixed by the host while booking? Is it acceptable to ask the price in advance?

I love the fact that these wonderful people exist and I am very much looking foreword to staying with some locals along what can be a lonely route (at least until Le Puy). The Yellow guide even lists those that speak English which will be a bonus for me as my French is poor! But I am nervous of getting things wrong and upsetting my hosts!

Thanks in advance

Davey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi folks, I’m walking from Geneva on April 6th. Today I received my 2015 Yellow Guide so now I’m about all set to go! However I have a question for those that have stayed with Accueil Jacquare’s. I understand the principle, and that I should book ahead at least 24 hours in advance (preferably ringing in the evening). But what about the cost? From what I can gather from the Yellow Guide it is not by donation but is the price fixed by the host while booking? Is it acceptable to ask the price in advance?

I love the fact that these wonderful people exist and I am very much looking foreword to staying with some locals along what can be a lonely route (at least until Le Puy). The Yellow guide even lists those that speak English which will be a bonus for me as my French is poor! But I am nervous of getting things wrong and upsetting my hosts!

Thanks in advance

Davey
Davey, I stayed with "Accueil jacquaire" on two occasions. The owner of a gite made the first call for me and told me they are not free, suggesting gite prices as guide for donativo. My hosts in first house indicated donativo to cover cost of food. My second host, at very short notice cooked evening meal and also provided substantial breakfast. I suggest you bring up the topic / philosophy of "Accueil jacquaire" with your hosts during evening meal. Those of us with money should make appropriate donation.

Bon Chemin.

Thank you crackmrmac. Yes I think its a good idea if it is donations to give what you would pay for a gite

Davey

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Further to my inital response above I hope I haven't given readers the impression that those with less are not welcome at "Accueil jacquaire" lodgings. In my experience all are welcome, young and old etc, etc. I believe donativo in this case is donativo according to each individual's means.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back