• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Acequias - water management

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
Here is an interesting article for those walking the Mozárabe.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is an interesting article for those walking the Mozárabe.

There is an excellent small scale example of at Le Jardín Secret in Marrakech, Morocco, and an informative video on their website. It was found during restoration and now forms the irrigation system in the garden - it's a complex feat of engineering and a wonder to behold.

That is a great article, I would have never imagined the BBC minding about our Moorish irrigation sytems! I live in Sierra Nevada and am very familiar to them, we still use them today, some acequias make the water go a long, long way just by using the minimum incline to go over long distances, and how the water reaches all the plots in one area, and the particular ecosystem that thrives by the side of these waterways.
Thanks for bringing this up!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That is a great article, I would have never imagined the BBC minding about our Moorish irrigation sytems! I live in Sierra Nevada and am very familiar to them, we still use them today, some acequias make the water go a long, long way just by using the minimum incline to go over long distances, and how the water reaches all the plots in one area, and the particular ecosystem that thrives by the side of these waterways.
Thanks for bringing this up!
I live in the Alpujarras and we also get our water from the acequia!

We also love exploring the acequias in Andalucia. There are several tracks on Wikiloc that take Mozarabe walkers on side trips alongside these wonders of engineering. The second track listed below actually includes part of the Mozarabe and has numerous flags to let you know what you are walking by.
Further description of the route above: https://senderosdealmeria.es/sierra-nevada/los-molinos-y-las-fuentes-pr-a-354/

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fascinating. I am not well versed in acequias, but I remember that when I stayed in Grimaldo in César’s Posada on the Vdlp (very highly recommended, btw — pilgrim prices if you book directly with him), he took me through his huerta and showed me the keys that were passed from owner to owner according to a pre-determined schedule. These keys opened the channels to allow the water flow. I believe, but am not sure, that he told me that the system was one inherited from the Moors. Is that possible, or am I imagining it?

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back