• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Achilles heel flare up and 5 weeks to go :-(

littlegreen60

Time of past OR future Camino
Early June 2023
HELP! I don't even know what I did, but my heel is flared up. After doing research it looks like Achilles tendonitis. Ugh! I am currently resting it, and tried start walking again this evening, but it's still too tender.

This is my first Camino at the ripe young age of 62♡ I am planning on the CF starting in Tricastela, and I'm believing /hoping all will be well and I will be able to walk without pain....Please provide, Camino ...

I had been walking most days to prep, weights at the gym 2x a week, and doing brief inclines on the treadmill. I was just about to start walking with my pack and increasing weight, and now this. Grrr .

I have to refigure my shoes. I was leaning towards ASICS trail runners I got. They are comfy -sneaker like, but don't have a lot of structure, and now I realize I need to stabilize my heel when walking.

I have a pair of LA sportivas that I held onto. The are roomy enough and stable, but not cushy enough.
I have tried an couple of different insoles, nothing quite right unfortunately-
and now I really need the one to help with heel pain.

I am looking for any advice on experience with heel pain or suggestions for specific shoes, or Insoles. or wraps, braces., etc.and what you did to walk with this issue. Also any exercises etc.

Thank you in advance, peregrinos ♡♡

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Achilles tendonitis is indeed a painful condition. I have had recent shockwave treatment by a physiotherapist with good results. Single leg heel raises and also stretching is part of the treatment as well. My shoes are Altra Olympus.
I am walking an 80km test hike in 2 weeks to check gear and shoe selection before doing CF in September, so will hopefully have no pain.
I wish you well and urge you to get professional treatment asap.

Sorry to hear about this. I had a similar problem a few months before I set out on my first Camino around this time last year: a sudden onset of sharp pain in the back of my left heel, which would seize up after any period of inactivity. A podiatrist visit revealed that it wasn’t due to Achilles tendonitis as I’d self-diagnosed, but rather bursitis: an inflammation of the fluid-filled sac that cushions the heel bone, and which could have been aggravated by the zero-drop Altras I had been training in. Fortunately, the bursitis responded well to a cortisone injection, which allowed me to walk an entirely pain-free Camino from SJPP to Fisterra - and an inexpensive pair of cork heel lifts underneath the insoles of my Altras (which were otherwise the perfect shoe for me thanks to their wide toe box) seem to have helped prevent the condition from reoccurring.

Important disclaimer: Apparently, cortisone shots are contraindicated for problems involving the Achilles tendon, since there’s a danger they can weaken the tendon and cause even more injury over time. So it‘s important to have your heel looked at by a professional before deciding on what course of action to take. I‘m sharing my story here to bolster your hopes of walking the Camino you’ve been looking forward to. Hopefully you’ll find a solution too. Buen Camino to you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last year I had problems with my achilles while walking the camino. I was doing pretty well without issues, but two days walking on turmac and longer distances was too much. It was really painful. I thought my camino was over, for sure. That evening in the albergue I talked to some people about it and searched online for some tips. It helped me to continue walking and finish almost pain free!

I'm no expert and not sure if all is useful, but this is what I did.
- I started taking some ibuprofen for the inflammation
- I massaged me calves and bottom of my foot often with tiger balm and arnica (that's what I had in my pack, not sure if that helped or the massaging itself), and a tennisbal to also trigger deeper muscles. I skipped massaging the tendon itself (too painful in the beginning and not sure if I would damage it)
- I would cool it with ice every chance I got. This was for me every bar I could find, which also make me take a lot more rest than usual
- I put heel raisers in my shoes
- Walk slow and on soft surfaces as much as possible (which was hard on the camino in the cities)
- Lots of breaks, in bars so I could cool it with ice or somewhere in some grass beside the camini to walk a little barefoot in the grass which also helps with inflammation

The best thing is rest, but I didn't allow myself for a long period of restdays. I continued walking. The next day was tough and painful, but as I continued on it got less. After that I got back to my 25 - 30km days and it was OK.

Hope your doing better soon! This is what I did and it helped me to continue, but please let a PT with knowledge of this kind of I jury take a look.

Hi, as with everything concerning our health, go to a doctor or pt first.

Rest and ice regularly.

Also do some self care for the feet by doing daily foot yoga exercises

Hope you feel bette soon

I am the Camino now. I'm 65 and two weeks before I left my left heel started hurting, I thought it was plantar faciatis. After seeing a podiatrist, I was diagnosed with bursitis who said I had trained with wrong shoes for me (Alta Lone Peak 6's) on hard pavement. I thought my Camino was over but I rested it for a week and what worked for me was new shoes, ASICS gel nimbus 24s. Yes, they are running shoes, but very soft and supportive. I chose the 24s over the 25's because they had more tread than the new 25s, not to mention $65 cheaper. After 11 days on the Camino, I can still feel pressure on my heel, but no pain and getting less every day. I take every opportunity to walk on dirt/grass and keep off of hard surfaces. I'm having no issues with them as running shoes so far. It was risky to come, but I'm now confident after 280km I will be able to finish. I don't know if this will work for you, but thought I'd share my experience. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm currently going through general ankle pain and working with a physical therapist. Sometime it's my achilles tendon and sometimes the problem is with the peroneal tendon (on the side of the ankle) but the cause seems to be really tight calf muscles, including some knots. In addition to the resting, icing, stretching and heel lifts mentioned above, we're spending time strengthening my legs overall and in particular the muscles in my calves so they fire instead of tendons when I walk. I'm a runner and when I had plantar fasciitis a few years ago and it didn't really get better until I worked out overall strength imbalance in my leg, so I'm hoping the same will apply here.

But -- please do go see a doctor because maybe it's something else. Good Luck.

I see a lot of good information here. However, please also see a professional. I walked the Camino Frances with a "healing" Achilles tendon in my 60's. I did a lot of research and found many useful information in preparing for the camino and during the camino.

Heel drop exercise
Warm up Achilles tendon in the morning before engaging in activities
Rest and massage Achilles tendon when it feels "hot."
Heel lifts for shoes/boots
Use hiking poles (correctly) for walking/hiking
Ice down or immerse feet (up to ankles) in cold water after walking or end of the day

I was advised AGAINST using ibuprofen. By lessening the pain, it actually masks the condition of the Achilles tendon, i.e. walking with a "bad" Achilles tendon can result in an injury, like a torn Achilles tendon. The ibuprofen is to help with pain and MUSCLE inflammation, but NOT with a bad tendon.

I was able to walk from SJPDP to Finisterre and Muxia in my 60's. The first day hiking up the Pyrenees was the worst. I recommend the Valcarlos route over the Napoleon route. Bon camino.

Seek out your md and physical therapist for the medical advice, but it can be done! I walked about 6 weeks after reinjuring my Achilles tendon. I was put in a boot for a bit. On the Camino, I wore hiking boots, not the lightweight ones, but Solomans hiking, because the stiff ankle limited my foot motion just enough. I found that it was starting to burn again one day, and on the trail, I cut a sock so that the front of the foot part made a pocket, folded the rest of the sock into it, and used it as a cushion beneath my heel. It fit perfectly and stayed put. The burning stopped. By the end of it, I didn't need the padding. I also learned how to massage my calf only in the downward direction toward the heel at the end of the day to prevent the pull on the tendon as my muscles cooled down, and wore the other wool sock at night to keep the tendon warm. It made a big difference throughout. Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Update
Thank you all for sharing your experience and suggestions
I did go to the podiatrist.
The Achilles tendinitis is confirmed along with heel spurs. My boot that stretches the tendon arrives tomorrow, along with recommended inserts
Everything is a gradual increase with the boot as well as the inserts. Also got recommendations for shoes.
I'm wearing some heel pads for now as well for a limited time.
I am able to increase walk time daily and am up to 40 min. I am improving slowly even without the contraptions arriving tomorrow.
I will do what I can, and if it's a a camino "mosey", so be it. I can be the slowest walker on record and take time to soak it in and smell the roses.
The adventure has already begun :)

Hi
another update
I am trying to stay positive, but I'm also anxious.
Resting it seems to help, but I also need to walk to improve. I walked a short distance with a full pack yesterday, and I didn't get too far before my foot was unhappy.

I am starting to consider alternatives if I need them.
I may end up having to send my pack ahead. Or walk super short days.

Like the saying goes, if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans....

Thank you all for support ♡

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi
another update
I am trying to stay positive, but I'm also anxious.
Resting it seems to help, but I also need to walk to improve. I walked a short distance with a full pack yesterday, and I didn't get too far before my foot was unhappy.

I am starting to consider alternatives if I need them.
I may end up having to send my pack ahead. Or walk super short days.

Like the saying goes, if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans....

Thank you all for support ♡
Honestly, I would rest it and allow it to heal right up to the last minute. That tendon needs to heal first.

Go see a Podiatrist.
I've had it for years.
Walking now with it 900 kms so far. All good.

Get professional advice.
I'm managing fine. Good shoes, orthotics, and cortisone shots before I left.

I also do stretches about 20-30 time a day and before taking on hills.

It's all 'doable'. Just get a professional opinion.

HELP! I don't even know what I did, but my heel is flared up. After doing research it looks like Achilles tendonitis. Ugh! I am currently resting it, and tried start walking again this evening, but it's still too tender.

This is my first Camino at the ripe young age of 62♡ I am planning on the CF starting in Tricastela, and I'm believing /hoping all will be well and I will be able to walk without pain....Please provide, Camino ...

I had been walking most days to prep, weights at the gym 2x a week, and doing brief inclines on the treadmill. I was just about to start walking with my pack and increasing weight, and now this. Grrr .

I have to refigure my shoes. I was leaning towards ASICS trail runners I got. They are comfy -sneaker like, but don't have a lot of structure, and now I realize I need to stabilize my heel when walking.

I have a pair of LA sportivas that I held onto. The are roomy enough and stable, but not cushy enough.
I have tried an couple of different insoles, nothing quite right unfortunately-
and now I really need the one to help with heel pain.

I am looking for any advice on experience with heel pain or suggestions for specific shoes, or Insoles. or wraps, braces., etc.and what you did to walk with this issue. Also any exercises etc.

Thank you in advance, peregrinos ♡♡
I hope you heal up quickly and are able to go. Having your bag shipped ahead is one way to take some strain off and a possible option for you. It is very very easy to arrange.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.