• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Achilles Novice (with a KM concern) and Coastal Section Advice

James X

Caminhos with a h
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Central Português: October 2017
Caminho: Coastal / Litoral / Lost: September 2018
Hi,

Great to see so many people giving such great advice

I’d like to ask a couple of what might appear to be repeated / silly questions if that’s ok…

First off – I had originally intended to walk the coastal route from Porto to connect at Ponte de Lima with the inland route onwards to Santiago but unfortunately due to work commitments my time has been cut short. I would still like to do one section of the Coastal Route North of Porto (just to experience it) . What would be the best / nicest section of the 3 options below ? (one consideration within the answer I’d appreciate is to also take in the connectivity at the start of this one stage from Porto and at the end the connection to Ponte de Lima to complete the inland route .

Porto (Matosinhos) to Vila do Conde 24 km?

Vila do Conde to Esposende 25,5 km ?

Esposende to Viana do Castelo 23 km ?

Second Question: I am a personally concerned about the 32 Km from Valença do Minho / Tui to Redondela especially what appears to be the strong ascent and descent after Rúa (Mos) ( Reason being is that I had surgery 5 years ago for an Achilles rupture (practically back to normal but still occasional issues) and in an ironic way it’s an element of my motivation for doing this trip…the question I am asking though is…. would it be sacrosanct / frowned upon to if it gets too tough to very reluctantly call a taxi for these last 6 / 9 km’s ? :(

(Reluctantly also plan to stay in Tui as opposed to Valenca the preceding night to even shave approx. 2KM off the next day ? Both towns look great and my preference was to stay one more night in Portugal ?)

Stupid Third Question: Looking at weather records the weather for mid-October still looks ok to dress in shorts and T-Shirt ? Also…are insect bites / mosquitos etc an issue at this time ? Or do I need to bring along a litre of Deet?:eek:

Thanks In Advance

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi: Even though it was only about 15 months ago, I really don't remember the specifics of the first three days, other than the walk from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde was pretty nice. The other couple of days are pretty much a blur to me. But remember, whatever option you choose, the Porto Metro will take you to Matosinhos or to Vila do Conde, so it is easy to start from either of those locations. (I think you can actually go all of the way to Povoa de Varzim, which is a bit further than Vila do Conde). Sorry - I am not sure how you would connect to Ponte de Lima from the coastal route.

When going from Tui to Redondela, if you have the time, you can break the journey at O Porrino. Valenca was interesting with its walled fortress, but I found it pretty touristy. I actually preferred Tui, so I don't think that is a bad choice to make. Certainly in my opinion, there is no issue in taking a taxi if needed. There is no point in injuring yourself or doing damage to yourself in some way. However, in order to receive the Compostela certificate in Santiago de Compostela, you are supposed to walk the last 100kms into SdC. I believe that means that you should be walking the entire way from Tui to SdC.

Sorry - I can't comment on the weather in October.

Whatever you choose, I am sure you will enjoy it.

......Second Question: I am a personally concerned about the 32 Km from Valença do Minho / Tui to Redondela especially what appears to be the strong ascent and descent after Rúa (Mos) ( Reason being is that I had surgery 5 years ago for an Achilles rupture (practically back to normal but still occasional issues) and in an ironic way it’s an element of my motivation for doing this trip…the question I am asking though is…. would it be sacrosanct / frowned upon to if it gets too tough to very reluctantly call a taxi for these last 6 / 9 km’s ? :(

(Reluctantly also plan to stay in Tui as opposed to Valenca the preceding night to even shave approx. 2KM off the next day ? Both towns look great and my preference was to stay one more night in Portugal ?)

Stupid Third Question: Looking at weather records the weather for mid-October still looks ok to dress in shorts and T-Shirt ? Also…are insect bites / mosquitos etc an issue at this time ? Or do I need to bring along a litre of Deet?:eek:

Thanks In Advance

2. I had two ruptures on my right Achilles tendon, 90% and 70% associated with a mountain climbing accident a number of years ago. I worked very hard at rehabilitation. My advice is to go back to your doctor and ask him/her for a prescription for some physical therapy to check you out prior to your Camino.

My PT gave me specific exercises to both build muscle, balance complementary muscles (much more important that I realized), proper stretching and how to massage to destroy scar tissue over the Achilles tears. If you have time before your Camino go see a PT and have them give you a training program to make sure you are in the best shape possible.

3) There are now a lot of really good preventative things for mosquitoes and small bugs over and above Deet. ExOffiio sells a line of Bug Off, treated shirts, hats, bandanas that discourage insects. Others do as well. There are even some products you can add to your washing machine when you launder your Camino clothes prior to your trip.

https://gearjunkie.com/ex-officio-buzz-off-clothing

Good luck and enjoy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,

Great to see so many people giving such great advice

I’d like to ask a couple of what might appear to be repeated / silly questions if that’s ok…

First off – I had originally intended to walk the coastal route from Porto to connect at Ponte de Lima with the inland route onwards to Santiago but unfortunately due to work commitments my time has been cut short. I would still like to do one section of the Coastal Route North of Porto (just to experience it) . What would be the best / nicest section of the 3 options below ? (one consideration within the answer I’d appreciate is to also take in the connectivity at the start of this one stage from Porto and at the end the connection to Ponte de Lima to complete the inland route .

Porto (Matosinhos) to Vila do Conde 24 km?

Vila do Conde to Esposende 25,5 km ?

Esposende to Viana do Castelo 23 km ?

Second Question: I am a personally concerned about the 32 Km from Valença do Minho / Tui to Redondela especially what appears to be the strong ascent and descent after Rúa (Mos) ( Reason being is that I had surgery 5 years ago for an Achilles rupture (practically back to normal but still occasional issues) and in an ironic way it’s an element of my motivation for doing this trip…the question I am asking though is…. would it be sacrosanct / frowned upon to if it gets too tough to very reluctantly call a taxi for these last 6 / 9 km’s ? :(

Thanks In Advance
Just finished the Portuguese Camino, Lisbon to Finisterre. We walked the coast from Matosinhos to Caminha then back on to the Central. Enjoyed all three legs you mention. We stayed in Valenca thinking it would be much quieter than Tui, the starting point for the 100k walkers. We loved the city. The only time we experienced mosquitoes was our first three days out of Lisbon, nothing after that. As far as the 32k day goes, we shortened it by staying in OPorinno. We found the last few mornings cool to start but once we started walking we were glad to be in shorts and t-shirts. Hope this helps. Bom Caminho!

I did the coastal senda in June inc the stages on the coast you refer to...although I started north of Porto at Mindelo. My blog inc pics describes...its at stevov.wordpress.com

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back