• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Achilles strain

Randolphcase

Time of past OR future Camino
None. Just one day (yesterday)
I am walking the northern Camino, strained my left Achilles tendon the day before I left North a littlAmerica. It hurt a little in the airports, I've walked one day to San Sebastien and it hurts worse as I re- injured it with a few tweaks on the trail. Have decided to take a day off here, am icing it and taking Advil, may bike some of I'm able. Any advice out there would be appreciated:
How long to stay off it? Any treatment recommendations? Is it dangerous to walk on it if I can stand there pain? Should I consider taping it or putting on an ace bandage?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That’s a tricky call to make. You could have tendinosis (tiny tears) or a case of tendinitis. Don’t know how you trained or potentially over trained for your Camino for contributing factors. Icing it and anti-inflammatories help, i would also elevate the leg and wear some kind of ankle support. Having said that This kind of injury needs rest so not sure if one day will do. If you keep straining it and you already have micro tears you will not heal with overuse. Your injury will worsen and so will the pain. Listen to your body. This is not the type of injury you ignore and push through.

I do not have a medical background but I agree with Dani7. Walking the Francés a couple of years ago I strained my left Achilles’ tendon. It was painful but I kept on walking taking painkillers. I also took a couple of rest days. Eventually I ruptured the tendon That was the end of my Camino and I was on crutches for a number of weeks. I don’t want to scare monger but I would urge you to get medical advice on this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tricky it is. And I am not a medical expert of any kind. But I kept pushing (some, but not hard) with both Achilles fall 2017 on CP--left after about 8 days of walking (slowed to 5km in 3 hours) and had to use travel insurance to get back. Never on crutches or cast but was 8 months of careful 'training' before I could walk comfortably for 2 hours again. age 75 tho so body repairs slowly. I would categorize as one of the camino pains to treat as a stopper--unlike painful packstraps.

I am walking the northern Camino, strained my left Achilles tendon the day before I left North a littlAmerica. It hurt a little in the airports, I've walked one day to San Sebastien and it hurts worse as I re- injured it with a few tweaks on the trail. Have decided to take a day off here, am icing it and taking Advil, may bike some of I'm able. Any advice out there would be appreciated:
How long to stay off it? Any treatment recommendations? Is it dangerous to walk on it if I can stand there pain? Should I consider taping it or putting on an ace bandage?
Please get professional advice! Start with the local Centro de Salud or hospital by asking info from the owners of where you are staying

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
See if you can find K tape and have soneone tape or for you.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.