• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Achilles Tendonitis - Post Camino Treatment?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK the 'back story'.......

I walked the CF this year in May/June from St Jean, with Achilles Tendonitis caused in training. Not fun at times, but I made it OK.

Next year I'll so a 'short' CF with my wife, from Sarria.

But.....

The Achilles Tendonitis is still bad some 4-5 months after completing the CF this year. I'll get along to my podiatrist and physio to start some treatments. But walking (training) any distance at this stage is difficult. 4-5 km walks are OK.

I know if all else fails, I should be OK for a walk of 'only' 100 kms, with my walking regime of anti inflammatories, painkillers, stretching, icing etc. But it would be nice to reduce the symptoms before going.

And before you ask why I didn't start treatments 4-5 months ago......:oops: Well .......:oops:

Not really any excuses. Too busy at work .....:oops:

I had some ultrasound scans soon after my CF this year, which highlighted the Achilles issue was still very much there. Both inflamed quite a bit. I guess I thought over time it would gradually improve. It hasn't....:(

So...

I'll get professional opinions over the next couple of weeks from Physio & Podiatrist but I'm keen to hear how others have coped post Camino with Achilles Tendonitis. Did any particular treatments work well for you? Acupuncture? Specific exercises? Stronger drugs? ;)

Any tips would be appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Some time back, when my achilles tendon was really bugging me, I think it was Falcon who suggested a brace to be worn with my shoe. It was called the Swede-) Multi-Sport Ankle Lok Brace. I ordered one and really liked it! It helped me a LOT. Though I'm not using it now, I will take it on the Camino with me, just in case.

The other thing that helps me is putting a heel lift in my shoe.

Some time back, when my achilles tendon was really bugging me, I think it was Falcon who suggested a brace to be worn with my shoe. It was called the Swede-) Multi-Sport Ankle Lok Brace. I ordered one and really liked it! It helped me a LOT. Though I'm not using it now, I will take it on the Camino with me, just in case.

The other thing that helps me is putting a heel lift in my shoe.

Good tip, thanks Annie.

Yes, I use Heel Lifts too. Life savers! This year heading out of St Jean I had three under each heel! :) Easy to swap in and our depending on the gradient.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OK the 'back story'.......

I walked the CF this year in May/June from St Jean, with Achilles Tendonitis caused in training. Not fun at times, but I made it OK.

Next year I'll so a 'short' CF with my wife, from Sarria.

But.....

The Achilles Tendonitis is still bad some 4-5 months after completing the CF this year. I'll get along to my podiatrist and physio to start some treatments. But walking (training) any distance at this stage is difficult. 4-5 km walks are OK.

I know if all else fails, I should be OK for a walk of 'only' 100 kms, with my walking regime of anti inflammatories, painkillers, stretching, icing etc. But it would be nice to reduce the symptoms before going.

And before you ask why I didn't start treatments 4-5 months ago......:oops: Well .......:oops:

Not really any excuses. Too busy at work .....:oops:

I had some ultrasound scans soon after my CF this year, which highlighted the Achilles issue was still very much there. Both inflamed quite a bit. I guess I thought over time it would gradually improve. It hasn't....:(

So...

I'll get professional opinions over the next couple of weeks from Physio & Podiatrist but I'm keen to hear how others have coped post Camino with Achilles Tendonitis. Did any particular treatments work well for you? Acupuncture? Specific exercises? Stronger drugs? ;)

Any tips would be appreciated.
Hi Robbo

Some 3 years ago I tore my Achilles tendon. I went straight to the physio who gave me a series of exercises to do. I did not do them as frequently as she said I should, thinking time would be the great healer. When the pain had subsided somewhat, I walked the Camino Ingles with Sean my Irish walking buddy. Just before the top of the long hill up out of Betanzos I said to Sean that the ankle was feeling the best it had been for a long time. Then I tore the tendon again. It was a long and painful hobble from there to Santiago.

Once home my doctor referred me to a sports Physician. She gave me the same exercises my original Physio had given me. This time I religiously followed the program of exercise she laid down. For months there was little improvement, but gradually the pain grew less, and I kept the programme of exercises going. It took over 2 years before the tendon finally felt secure again.

A few months ago I walked the 700 km from Madrid to Santiago in 28 days, averaging 25 km a day, without a twinge from the ankle. Please, if you are given exercises to do, don't behave as I did - DO THEM. It may take a long time, just stick with it.

BTW I am unable to take anti-inflammatories as they may interfere with other medication I take. Perhaps that is a good thing, but as I hobbled the Ingles I did not regard it as such!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hi Robo
As part of my lengthy rehabilitation for my navicular fracture, I have been given a regimen of 'eccentric' training exercises (my hubby says that they must have seen me coming :rolleyes:). Bonus is that these exercises have had positive results on various forms of tendinitis. Here's an overview of some exercises for achilles tendinitis. Suggest that you discuss with your treatment team and get their opinion.

If acupuncture works for you, go for it. I have had spectacular results, particularly with treating inflammation. a good practitioner will let you know that ~3 treatments will gauge whether it suits your problem. I would avoid drugs, especially long-term use, if at all possible. The US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has recently (September 2015) strengthened its warning that non-aspirin non steroidal anti- inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can cause heart attacks or strokes. The FDA points out that heart attack and stroke risk increase even with short-term use, and the risk may begin within a few weeks of starting to take an NSAID. Packing will soon be updated to reflect this.

PS have you considered cross-training such as swimming or running/walking in deep water or cycling? Your treatment team would be great to get advice from on this option.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like what Wokabaut_Meri said:
. . . Here's an overview of some exercises for achilles tendinitis . . .
Good recommendation. These are part of the exercises I do prior to my runs and my walks (however, I do not use the band). Works for me. Also, for anyone having leg issues (non-injuries) I recommend searching for "leg limbering exercises" for more ideas. And oh by the way for those at home (again, for non-injuries) always remember to practice RICE (relax, ice it, compress it, and elevate it). Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

... The Achilles Tendonitis is still bad some 4-5 months after completing the CF this year. I'll get along to my podiatrist and physio to start some treatments. But walking (training) any distance at this stage is difficult. 4-5 km walks are OK.

Stop taking any painkillers and learn to listen to your body, taking painkillers will only mask the symptoms but will not make the underlying problem go away. Actually they will make it worse because you will be exercising beyond the threshold of pain.

Tips
Drink lots of water. Elevate feet whenever possible. Do gentle stretch exercises but do not go beyond the pain threshold. Swimming is good. Massage ankles gently in direction of the heart, again, accept pain threshold. A healthy balanced diet also helps, so does an occasional glass of wine ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Stop taking any painkillers and learn to listen to your body, taking painkillers will only mask the symptoms but will not make the underlying problem go away. Actually they will make it worse because you will be exercising beyond the threshold of pain.

Tips
Drink lots of water. Elevate feet whenever possible. Do gentle stretch exercises but do not go beyond the pain threshold. Swimming is good. Massage ankles gently in direction of the heart, again, accept pain threshold. A healthy balanced diet also helps, so does an occasional glass of wine ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

I understand. But sometimes anti inflamatories and painkillers were required to actually keep me moving :-(

No permanent damage was caused in the walking of this Camino ;)

Not taking anything post Camino....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.