• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Across the US on foot in 1980

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow.
That was such an interesting article. This quote says it all : " I really didn’t know what I was getting into, of course. Yet 40 years later, I realize this decision was one of the most consequential of my life."

Sidenote : I especially loved the picture of their 25 year reunion. Happy faces.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What a wonderful, nearly unbelievable story! It gave me goosebumps as I was reading and I became more fascinated with every paragraph and all the photographs! Thank you, @mspath, for drawing our attention to this amazing group adventure.
As a humorous aside (to me anyway), the picture of the resupply at the Airstream camper gave me a chuckle as it reminded me of the few who empty out the contents of their packs in the aisles of albergues and leave it strewn about.😅

Hikanation, a very long walk across the US in 1980, is described by one participant, Stacey Waring in this Washington Post article published May 25, 2021.
Thank you for the post. I am walking from Washington DC to Pittsburgh in September along the C&O Canal Towpath and the Great Allegheny Passage, about 300 miles. There are towns along the way and plenty of camping sites.

Thank you for the post. I am walking from Washington DC to Pittsburgh in September along the C&O Canal Towpath and the Great Allegheny Passage, about 300 miles. There are towns along the way and plenty of camping sites.
Your planned trip should be a good one. Wherever/whenever you go Carpe diem.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fascinating and uplifting...a Camino by any name.
But 50 lb. packs :(
My son on the Appalachian Trail always carried 40-50 lbs between resupplies about once a week...it's often the way it is on certain treks. One of the reasons the Caminos are outstanding (especially for aging retirees🙂) even from the logistics alone.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My son on the Appalachian Trail always carried 40-50 lbs between resupplies about once a week...it's often the way it is on certain treks. One of the reasons the Caminos are outstanding (especially for aging retirees🙂) even from the logistics alone.
I guess pack weight is a generational thing at this stage in life; I didn't think nearly as much about it 20-40 years ago. But even then, I hiked much of the AT here in the south and around Nepal for a month with tent & cookware, but less than 30 pounds (which is a lot more than my body weight would indicate is reasonable). Didn't look or smell good, but the scenery and experience were just as good. 😁🤭

What a wonderful article! Thanks for posting.

Thank you for sharing a story that is an inspiring story for me, and keeps me motivated to hopefully achieve my goal of trekking across the USA. I had actually planned to start a trek from my home in California across the USA last February, 2020, but covid unfortunately kept me from starting. I didn’t have an exact route and was playing it by ear to either reach the coast in Florida, which would have been approximately 2,600 miles, or one of the northeast states, which may have been over 3,000 miles. Now with the better outlook with covid, I hope to possibly start next March, which is when I’ll turn seventy-one.

It wasn’t until after I turned sixty, when I almost died of pneumonia, that I realized how short life is and that I wanted to live it to its fullest and began trekking. I’ve trekked from my home to Canada, four Caminos, and the length of New Zealand, and my next goal was a trek across the USA. Stories like this, wonderful posts on this site, and other stories of treks short or long, inspire me to keep walking as long as I can. Most of you who have done a Camino, no matter how long or short, may know what it feels like to achieve a goal that you have set for yourself. Thank you again!

Thank you for sharing a story that is an inspiring story for me, and keeps me motivated to hopefully achieve my goal of trekking across the USA. I had actually planned to start a trek from my home in California across the USA last February, 2020, but covid unfortunately kept me from starting. I didn’t have an exact route and was playing it by ear to either reach the coast in Florida, which would have been approximately 2,600 miles, or one of the northeast states, which may have been over 3,000 miles. Now with the better outlook with covid, I hope to possibly start next March, which is when I’ll turn seventy-one.

It wasn’t until after I turned sixty, when I almost died of pneumonia, that I realized how short life is and that I wanted to live it to its fullest and began trekking. I’ve trekked from my home to Canada, four Caminos, and the length of New Zealand, and my next goal was a trek across the USA. Stories like this, wonderful posts on this site, and other stories of treks short or long, inspire me to keep walking as long as I can. Most of you who have done a Camino, no matter how long or short, may know what it feels like to achieve a goal that you have set for yourself. Thank you again!
Ted Stek,
I admire your goal for turning 71.
Whenever/wherever you do go
Carpe diem.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.