• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

American Discovery Trail - Across West Virginia

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
I'm writing this from home in Portland, Oregon. I pushed on for a while, but eventually it became clear that continuing to walk was irresponsible. I'm settling into quarantine and looking forward to some found time for writing and reading.

Before I shut things down, I made it nearly through the full length of West Virginia. I continued to be blessed with unseasonably good weather. This section features the highest-elevation crossing east of the Rockies--around 1500m/4500' through the Dolly Sods wilderness area--so a mid-March passage is ambitious. Lots of through-hikers run into trouble here. Instead, I camped comfortably at ~3700' and then had pristine blue skies for my crossing.

I would love to walk through Dolly Sods in June, when colors are bursting. The ADT is mostly on footpaths and dirt roads through the Dolly Sods region, then into the Canaan Valley, which has a ski resort in the winter. It goes through two state park lodges in quick succession and then loops past the Blackwater Falls, which are pretty spectacular. Despite the clear weather, in March the trails were still quite boggy, making for tricky walking.

The western portion of the ADT through West Virginia follows the North Bend Rail Trail. It's unpaved and grassy, making for easy, comfortable walking, with occasional free camping spots. Outside of those stretches, there's a lot of pavement, but it's almost entirely on minor roads that weave through non-stop hills.

West Virginia is one of the poorest states in the US and there is a lot of economic difficulty on display. It's clear that some towns along the way are genuinely distressed, with few economic opportunities and some persistent drug problems. At the same time, though, I saw some of the most resilient and close-knit communities that I've seen in any of the places that I've walked through.

Here are my posts and pics from each day of this section:
  • 9-10 March - The last bit of the C&O, then the first chunk of WV - Post / Pics
  • 11-12 March - Dolly Sods - Post / Pics
  • 13-15 March - The coronavirus gets real - Post / Pics
  • 16 March - One last burst of denial - Post / Pics
  • 17 March - El Fin - Post
And here's the West Virginia episode of my Sea to Shining Sea podcast.

Anyway, here's hoping that we all get a handle on things and I can make it back out to the trail in the weeks ahead. We'll see!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can’t hear West Virginia without prefix: Almost heaven...
Thanks for your post. Hopefully you will be able to continue before too long.

I'm writing this from home in Portland, Oregon. I pushed on for a while, but eventually it became clear that continuing to walk was irresponsible. I'm settling into quarantine and looking forward to some found time for writing and reading.

Before I shut things down, I made it nearly through the full length of West Virginia. I continued to be blessed with unseasonably good weather. This section features the highest-elevation crossing east of the Rockies--around 1500m/4500' through the Dolly Sods wilderness area--so a mid-March passage is ambitious. Lots of through-hikers run into trouble here. Instead, I camped comfortably at ~3700' and then had pristine blue skies for my crossing.

I would love to walk through Dolly Sods in June, when colors are bursting. The ADT is mostly on footpaths and dirt roads through the Dolly Sods region, then into the Canaan Valley, which has a ski resort in the winter. It goes through two state park lodges in quick succession and then loops past the Blackwater Falls, which are pretty spectacular. Despite the clear weather, in March the trails were still quite boggy, making for tricky walking.

The western portion of the ADT through West Virginia follows the North Bend Rail Trail. It's unpaved and grassy, making for easy, comfortable walking, with occasional free camping spots. Outside of those stretches, there's a lot of pavement, but it's almost entirely on minor roads that weave through non-stop hills.

West Virginia is one of the poorest states in the US and there is a lot of economic difficulty on display. It's clear that some towns along the way are genuinely distressed, with few economic opportunities and some persistent drug problems. At the same time, though, I saw some of the most resilient and close-knit communities that I've seen in any of the places that I've walked through.

• 9-10 March - The last bit of the C&O, then the first chunk of WV - Post / Pics

Anyway, here's hoping that we all get a handle on things and I can make it back out to the trail in the weeks ahead. We'll see!
I'm sorry to hear your looong walk has come to an early end. Hopefully you will be able to go forward from where you left off sooner rather than later. Stay safe and "virus free" in the mean time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Great summations on each leg of the journey. I really enjoyed reading your posts!

It sounds wonderful, i presume thats ‘waltons’ country, which i loved as a teenager and i have always wanted to see it for myself.

The ADT looks really interesting, hopefully, you can continue soon!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've enjoyed following your posts. Glad you are home safe and sound, may you continue to be well.
And prayers that you can continue your trek in good time.

Wow - great writing - thank you for an enjoyable hour - completed the WV blog and read a few Camiño ones! Hoping you (all of us) return to great walks/Camino’s soon~

Most read last week in this forum

I started walking the American Discovery Trail back in 2019. My plan was to walk the southern option between Cincinnati, Ohio and Denver, Colorado that fall, and then to fly to Delaware in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back