• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Action video camera

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Has anybody experiences with a Go Pro action camera ?

Not because of the "action" but more about the weight of such a device. 600 grams

If you used one on the camino, did you use a harnass or a so called selfie stick to put the camera on ?

The last two camino's I used my Iphone and Ipad mini for making vids but the results are not that good.
My camcorder is to heavy to take with me.

Looking forward for any response

Best regards
Albertinho

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The GoPro is a great little camera....but.....
There is no view finder or screen, so you have to purchase the screen attachment, or use the smartphone app to aim it. Lots of set up time.
The batteries are small and don't last very long, so you'll need a couple.
It is more suited to video than still photography, IMO.
There is no tripod screw hole, so you need another attachment for that.
The menu system is cumbersome to use. Easier with the smartphone app.
I think it takes a lot of practice and patience to use well. And a sound technical knowledge of video helps.
With the waterproof case, the audio is terrible. With the open case, the audio is good, but not waterproof.

You might look into something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IA9LQK6/?tag=casaivar02-20
I've got an earlier model and like it better than the GoPro for everyday stuff.
I'm taking with me to Spain next week.

HTH.

BTW, there is a product that slips onto your trekking pole for mounting a camera to get shots like the video above. It is called a StickPic.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is no view finder or screen, so you have to purchase the screen attachment, or use the smartphone app to aim it. Lots of set up time.
I think it takes a lot of practice and patience to use well. And a sound technical knowledge of video helps.
With the waterproof case, the audio is terrible. With the open case, the audio is good, but not waterproof.

You might look into something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IA9LQK6/?tag=casaivar02-20

HTH.

BTW, there is a product that slips onto your trekking pole for mounting a camera to get shots like the video above. It is called a StickPic.
@CaptBuddy. Thanks for your information. Very usefull and I am curious about your experiences in Spain.

I saw an earlier Gopro type too of a good friend of mine who is a helicopterpilot,kitesurfer and snowboarder. And my son in law has an earlier type, using it for diving and kiting.
What I noticed is that they only use it for the action moments and pick the best shots and edit these shots for showing on the social media.

I want such a thing only for making videos. On the caminos we walked , we used our iphone and ipad mini for pictures because the video quality I do not like.
During our travels I use a. Sony camcorder but this camera is to big and to heavy to take with me in the backpack.
I edit our vids to a DVD of about one hour . That's the max to keep the computersystem steady on the windows computer. Longer vids crash on the pc.
On the Imac the other day I made the first vid of one and half hour with no problems at all.

I am an amateur video editor ,since many years on Windows pc's but recently changed to the Imac .
I will use a very light camera system for scenic shots.

I allready noticed I need a viewfinder. About the batterycapacity I did not know.
I saw at the accessoriees list extra battery packs. So that is a good advise from you to research first.

For me I have to grab the camera out of my backpack and shoot .

So please let me know about your experiences

Thanks again and looking forward to your news and have a buen camino in Spain.

Best regards from this side of the world

Albertinho

Last edited:
Wouldn't the easy thing be to attach it to a backpack strap?

On the viewfinder. Really? The angle of view is so wide is this really an issue? I would think you'd just capture everything.

I'm thinking of the recently announced Pansonic ( I think it's them). The lens unit is connected to the camera unit by a cable. IIRC. I'd attach the small lens bit to the strap and stick the camera in the pack.

But cards? It's not like you're going to carry weeks worth of storage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wouldn't the easy thing be to attach it to a backpack strap?

On the viewfinder. Really? The angle of view is so wide is this really an issue? I would think you'd just capture everything.

I'm thinking of the recently announced Pansonic ( I think it's them). The lens unit is connected to the camera unit by a cable. IIRC. I'd attach the small lens bit to the strap and stick the camera in the pack.

But cards? It's not like you're going to carry weeks worth of storage.

Thanks Nico. That is another point of view. I allready was wondering how to attach the camera.
My helicopterpilot friend Edgar wears a chest harnasss while surfing .on a sea cruise the other day I saw a guy using the camera on a pole ,that's why I got the idea to research the possiblities of such a small camera on my next camino (and other journeys)

I saw on a you tube vid that instead of the view finder you can use an (iphone)app to connect the camera with the iphone and use the iphone as viewfinder. But how to cope with 2 hands, 2 walkingpoles ,a camera and iphone. Just to make a videoshot. So your suggestion about the
Panasonic is a good idea to research

Thanks again

Best regards from this end of the world

Albertinho

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes that is a good one. My son in law just bought a Go
Ro Hero 3 + yesterday and showed it today .nice handy gadget.
So I think I go for the same.
Thanks again for feedback

I'm using a Go-Pro also for the first time. I was a videographer for many years using professional cameras that weighed a ton. Not sure how I will like the wide angle lens on the Go-Pro but going to give it a try. Probably use an iPad for some stills. It's all an experiment. Leaving Pamplona on Oct 2 and allowing about fifty days to get to Santiago. Hope to see some of you on the camino.

I'm using a Go-Pro also for the first time. I was a videographer for many years using professional cameras that weighed a ton. Not sure how I will like the wide angle lens on the Go-Pro but going to give it a try. Probably use an iPad for some stills. It's all an experiment. Leaving Pamplona on Oct 2 and allowing about fifty days to get to Santiago. Hope to see some of you on the camino.
Thanks for your reaction. I am curious about your experiences which maybe you will share with us later on

Buen camino

I have a GoPro, but I bought it after the Camino. I would have loved to have had it with me when I walked. I brought a Canon EOS-M with me, and it spent half the time packed away in a waterproof bag because it rained so much.

The GoPro is very easy to setup and use with a smartphone or tablet. I would bring extra batteries though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a GoPro, but I bought it after the Camino. I would have loved to have had it with me when I walked. I brought a Canon EOS-M with me, and it spent half the time packed away in a waterproof bag because it rained so much.

The GoPro is very easy to setup and use with a smartphone or tablet. I would bring extra batteries though.
Thanks for the advise Jeffnd. I allready am thinking of an extra battery .

My brother has one that goes on his bow for hunting. It is great since 90% of the deer you see but cannot share the experience with.

How did you cope with your Gopro camera on the camino ? Are you in Santiago allready ? Curious about your Gopro experiences. I allready bought mine last week .not tried it out yet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Latest GoPro Silver has a screen monitor on the camera and it is my understanding that it much easier to operate

A friend bought for me the new Gopro Hero 4 silver action camera in the USA.(cheaper than here in Europe)
My wife made a harnass from the plate where on the camera is fixed in the box (seen how to make it on You Tube)
It fits perfectly with the backpack.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

HTH.

In the meantime I tried out the latest Gopro Hero 4 silver which has a built in touch screen which can be switched off to safe battery power. With a 32 GB microcard I can shoot up to 90 minutes video. I think I buy an extra card ,64 GB.
With my Sony camcorder I use since many years I shot about 4 hours of video during our last camino and holydays following after the camino.
So I think this will be enough to handle during our next 3 weeks lasting camino next year.
The shots I made are high quality and editing is very easy. Last weekend I made 4 minutes video out of different shots by daylight and night and it looks very promishing.
The shots I can store on the iphone or mini ipad .
The device weight 160 grams including a skelleton cover. Not waterproof but my camcorder is neither.
The only disadvantage is that there is no zoom function on the camera but I can live with that.
I bought a tripodmount with it for a small tripod and a chest harnass my wife fabricates herself .
About mounting on a walkingpole I have no experience yet but will have a look at it at an outdoorshop .

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.