• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Activities for Local Chapter events

Local chapter activities vary with the location, facilities used to meet, talents and interests of the leaders and participants as well as local resources. Many of the leaders in my London Ontario group meet for coffee every Friday morning. This helps “keep the pot boiling “ with ideas, resources, offers of assistance.

Canada has about 10 local chapters most affiliated with the Canadian Company of Pilgrims for the past 5 to 15 years. As a person who stood up at the American Gathering in Florida in 2009 and recommended they follow our example, I am delighted that APoC has facilitated this and chapters are springing up all over the USA.

Since some groups are in their infancy, I thought it might be helpful to describe some of the activites that it is possible to engage in. The places of meeting vary from Universities, Churches, Community Centres or private homes depending on the intercession of members who can acquire or provide a favourable venue.

Most chapters have a spring information meeting and an autumn welcome back for returning pilgrims. Some groups celebrate St James Day with walks, church services, pot luck dinners. My local group walks in the morning on a hiking trail for two hours, has Spanish soup (Caldo Gallego and Sopa de Ajo) for lunch and then walks following yellow arrows to a church service, a lily garden where refreshments always await and a return to our start where we feast on Spanish influenced food and wine. This, weather permitting, is always our most popular event.
Meetings (spring, autumn and St James) often start with a welcome back and commissioning on intended pilgrims. To welcome them back, most often experienced pilgrims recite one of the 10 points from “Pilgrim You are Blessed” to the returning pilgrims who simply tell us their names and where and when they walked. These newly returned pilgrims then read “Blessings on Your Journey” to people who will leave shortly for their first (or eighth) Camino.

For meetings we often try to have a topic of interest to everyone in the first half. These include speakers on Food of Spain, Routes that few have Traveled, Books or guides we enjoy, An author of a new book or video, etc. Just before the coffee break we ask people to stand up to identify who has walked the different routes. We then break for a few minutes to allow people to connect and exchange contact info so they can meet later. Following this, we divide so that inexperienced pilgrims can get equipment or question and answer info while experienced pilgrims deal with life after the Camino.

Local groups have also engaged in group hikes, Spiritual retreats, Camino art shows, labyrinth walks, Spanish dinners, wine and tapas with Camino "open mike" storytelling, Spanish conversatios groups, panel discussions after showings of “The Way” or other movies, information Q & As for new pilgrims and serving dinner to the local disadvantaged community. We also raise funds to support specific albergues. Hospitalero training in Canada has also often taken place in conjunction with a local chapter event.

The local chapter concept is a valuable instrument to connect a local Camino community. I do wish to say as well that I truly value the national Gatherings I have also attended.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great topic.
I am one of the "future" pilgrims. I am on the email list for the chapter here in Orlando but have been unable to attend any meetings up to now. I hope to change that in the near future.

Tony.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Tony please join us in 2 weeks:

DAYTONA BEACH, FLORIDA
Daytona Beach Walk
Sunday, January 27, 2013, 11:30 a.m.
Join Gay Dearbeck on a winter beach walk. We will be walking at noon; we will make one stop around half way and then have a picnic after. Bring a dish to share and BYOB. I will get a case of water for the walk and supply something for the grill. Please, no pets.
Daytona Beach 32118
For more information contact Gay at gay@dearbeck.com or contact the Orlando Chapter coordinators Sarah and Deborah at orlandoareachapter@americanpilgrims.com.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tom’s description of chapter life is instructive. In the Canadian group, each chapter has its own approach and culture– currently, the CCoP has chapters in Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Kitchener/Waterloo, Toronto, Ottawa, and Fredericton. A new chapter in Halifax will be having its first meeting on February 3. The Sudbury chapter has faded away, and there is an independent group in London. Activities are informal and more support-oriented than scholarly and Tom’s description of Camino groups as “pilgrims helping pilgrims” appears to be the operational motto. Some chapters are pretty substantial, such as Victoria which holds full-day mini-conferences for about 200, and Toronto’s busy afternoon sessions for the same number; others are smaller and more intimate (Winnipeg with an average attendance of 30-40, and Ottawa a bit higher). There are quite a few Canadian Camino authors and film-makers, and they get ready audiences for their readings. Presentations sometimes go beyond the Camino, and I have sat in on sessions on the Canadian pilgrimage routes, as well as on pilgrimage for peace.

The Québec organization, with a membership of about two thousand, holds activities almost entirely in French (although there have been occasional presentations in English in Montréal and Sherbrooke) with chapters in Gatineau, Montréal, Sherbrooke/Granby, Joliette, Trois Rivières, Québec City, Laval, Saint Maurice, and Montérégie (Saint Jean/ Saint Hyacinthe/ Saint Lambert/ Sorel). There are also local pilgrimage trails (Ottawa-Oka-Montréal, and Montréal-Cap de Madeleine-Sainte Anne de Beaupré) with support networks. Most of the Québec branches have monthly activities and, with their numbers, have built up a network of equipment suppliers providing members with discounts.

Most read last week in this forum

This may seem petty since the actual donation cost was minimal, but in February 2024, I sent some money to American Pilgrims (americanpilgrims.org) for two credentials in advance of an April 2024...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.