• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Actual distance between SJPDP and Santiago: 785 km vs 790 km?

Princess Kaguya

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Primitivo (2018)
Camino Fisterra (2018)
Hello fellow pilgrims,

I am finding myself in a bit of a puzzler: I completed the camino frances last year and here I am looking back at photos and notes on my John Brierly guidebook.

As I was trying to recreate the itinerary with our actual stops and distances covered per day (slightly different from the daily sections recommended in the guidebook), I came across this website that really helps in calculating distances: https://godesalco.com/plan/frances

HOWEVER, on this website, much praised by pilgrims, the total distance SJPDP to Santiago is 790 km, while the guidebook, also praised by many pilgrims, says 785 km.

So, which one is correct?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It could be neither. My compostela says 799km. When I started, I was under the impression it was 791km, but I don't remember the source. It could also depend on which option you choose at the various forks in the road and which route you take into cities like Burgos.

Walking that distance is not a precision matter. The difference of 5 km over 790 km is less than 1%. You cannot expect better than that - unless you want the straight-line-point-to-point measurement by GPS, which would be rather useless when it comes to knowing how much you'll have to walk in a day. Also, little detours happen for road work which can change every day. Then consider that the people walking and measuring it might cross the street and back inefficiently. One could possibly measure a precise length by using very sophisticated mapping and visualization tools (I'm just guessing here), by why would a camino-guide writer do that? :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello fellow pilgrims,

I am finding myself in a bit of a puzzler: I completed the camino frances last year and here I am looking back at photos and notes on my John Brierly guidebook.

As I was trying to recreate the itinerary with our actual stops and distances covered per day (slightly different from the daily sections recommended in the guidebook), I came across this website that really helps in calculating distances: https://godesalco.com/plan/frances

HOWEVER, on this website, much praised by pilgrims, the total distance SJPDP to Santiago is 790 km, while the guidebook, also praised by many pilgrims, says 785 km.

When I'am not mistaking the Pilgrimsoffice in Santiago use 790km. on the distance certificate.
But what is a km. more ore les.

I always find distances mentioned in guides slightly different than my Wikiloc recordings. Usually they are shorter than my GPS tracks but I think I know why. I'm measuring them from point to point which mostly means from albergue to albergue and I continue GPS recording the next day at exactly the same spot I finished the day before. OTOH I suspect that guides include distances measured from the end of town to the beginning of the next one but not through the town/village.

There could also be other "glitches". I remember the signs with distances before and after one town on Camino Levante. The one before town A stated that it's (from the memory) 13kms to next town, town B. After I walked 3 kms through town A I found the sign on the outskirts that was saying there are 15kms (instead of 10) to town B. Figure that :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello fellow pilgrims,

Probably neither. I'd assume the measurements are now made using GPS co-ordinates hence the ridiculous number of decimal places on the markers - who needs to know to the nearest millimetre? That wouldn't take into account the up and down slopes. 800km will do me fine.

Don't forget that uphill kilometers are longer than downhill kilometers.
By the way, seriously, a slope doesn't actually add a lot to the distance walked. As an example let's take a steep 20 percent slope of 2,000 meter elevation gain over a horizontal distance distance of 10 km. The length of the hypotenuse/slope is just a bit under 10.2 km.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for all your replies!
In nutshell, the answer is there will always be discrepancies between measurements due to logistical, geographical and human limitations. The camino is around 790 km, and that's all we need to know :)

Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's rather alarming to see how the girth of the earth must have grown between 2014-2016 and now. According to various official Distance Certificates issued by the Pilgrims Office and displayed on the net, the (pilgrim's) distance between Saint Jean Pied de Port and Santiago used to be 775 km and is now 799 km.

PS: Who came up with 799 km? It looks of course more convincing and "more accurate" than 800 km. :cool:

It might be that in a straight line but what about wandering around town (a) looking for the best confiteria (b) checking out the opening hours of the church (c) finding an ATM machine (d) wondering which restaurant is favoured by the locals (e) finding the pharmacy with a stock of blue rock tape. By my reckoning that has to add at least 200km!

PS: Who came up with 799 km? It looks of course more convincing and "more accurate" than 800 km. :cool:
Must be the same principle that makes so many shops price things at £3.99 rather than £4. I wonder how many people would refuse to buy if they had to cough up the extra 1p? :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My compostela says it’s 775kms. Lol. So I guess it depends on who fills it out in Santiago?!

The OFFICIAL distance from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela is 799 kilometers. It was previously 775 km. My distance certificate from 2014 states the smaller number.

The change is fairly recent. About 18 months ago, someone got the notion to recalculate all of the distances on the various Camino routes precisely, using GPS technology. This is the result.

Hope this helps.

The OFFICIAL distance from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela is 799 kilometers. It was previously 775 km. My distance certificate from 2014 states the smaller number.

The change is fairly recent. About 18 months ago, someone got the notion to recalculate all of the distances on the various Camino routes precisely, using GPS technology. This is the result.

Hope this helps.

Hi there. Is there a link??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found none of the guidebooks measured the same as my GPS and additionally two other distance measuring units I had. I consider all distances published “relative”.

+/- 5km??? It only matters if you're getting paid by the kilometer. What about those kilometers that one walks going from the albergue to a tienda for food, to a bar for a beer or glass of wine with your friends after you've showered and washed your clothes, walked around the town or village to take in a bit of the local culture? They all add up after four or five weeks--do they matter? What about walking from the airport to the taxi stand, bus stop, or train station? Isn't that part of your Camino? Or as someone else said, what about the extra km walked when you weren't paying attention and missed a yellow arrow (or thought the shell symbol really pointed the way based on its orientation)? Sorry if I seem sarcastic, but is that what the Camino is about? Not for me, anyway.

This (in Google Maps) is probably the original source of the 790 km estimation. Even if accurate, it obviously shows the road distance. The path could be longer (it takes some detours by interesting or relevant places) and alternatively shorter (because walkers are able to manage some steep slopes and close turns better than vehicles).
But anyway, we like round numbers. And they are easier to remember.

Last edited:
Nope. You need to do the Camino and arrive at the Pilgrim Office to get the distance certificate. The distance tables are not published.

That’s exactly what I did, in 2015!! So it makes sense that my distance certificate says 775kms. Sorry, I misread your post and thought when you said, “this is the result”, that there was a link with all the distances for all the caminos. Lol.

There is a large sign as you leave Roncess valles that tells you that you need to walk 790 kms to get to Santiago and you need to walk 25.4 kms to get to Roncess from St. Jean.

Add them together and you get 815.4 kms. I never trusted the idea that the total was 790.

There is a large sign as you leave Roncess valles that tells you that you need to walk 790 kms to get to Santiago and you need to walk 25.4 kms to get to Roncess from St. Jean.

Add them together and you get 815.4 kms. I never trusted the idea that the total was 790.
The sign stating 790 kms is a road sign, so that most likely accounts for the differences.

2015: 832.78 kms, St J. P. de P. to S de C. measured using my hiking G. P. S. unit. Recorded distances daily from departure in morning to arrival at end of day so evening excursions /walk arounds excluded.
There are so many option variations. 2 different routes choices leaving St J P. de P.
Leaving V. del Bierzo presents a choice of 3 routes of different lengths.
Shortly after Leon, 2 choices etc.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...99950740253.2113467.1301217680&type=3&theater

Last edited:
I assume walking around in circles every time you stop for the day to find food and drink shouldn't be considered as supersullivan found by using his GPS device. This photo is from a stele near the Font de Roland at the French and Spanish border which is a little more than 18 statute km from SJPdP.DSCN0061.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's rather alarming to see how the girth of the earth must have grown between 2014-2016 and now. According to various official Distance Certificates issued by the Pilgrims Office and displayed on the net, the (pilgrim's) distance between Saint Jean Pied de Port and Santiago used to be 775 km and is now 799 km.

Which brings to mind the question "Who was the first person to put two feet on Mount Everest":

"The first person to put two feet on the top of Mount Everest was Bengal mathematician Radhanath Sikdar. He was the first person to identify Everest as the world's highest mountain. He measured it to be exactly 29,000 feet. However, he thought no-one would believe him, thinking he just rounded the number off, so he added two feet to the measurement to make it look as if he was incredibly precise. So 29,002 feet was the official measurement, although it is now known to be 29,028 feet."

This whole discussion is more than slightly reminiscent of a Shakespearian comedy -- I think most of you know the title.

Hope this helps.

It does indeed, thanks. I was also surprised to see on my Compostela this year that the Primitivo from Oviedo was listed as 334km, when I had thought it was about 311km. So I assume this was recalculated as well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I'am not mistaking the Pilgrimsoffice in Santiago use 790km. on the distance certificate.
But what is a km. more ore les.
My certificate, issued by the Pilgrim Office, having started in St Jean, has 775kms on it. Perhaps I should have checked at the time: June 16th, 2016. (Right then, though, it had felt closer to 1,775kms and the celebratory drink awaited! Priorities?) Thanks "t2andreo" for your explanation above, regarding the change in recent years. Now, why did I laminate that certificate? Just kidding: I am so happy to have it, regardless of kms recorded.

Last edited:

My thoughts too - 2016 mine said 775km, then this year while getting my del note compostela I saw someone's Frances route said 799km!! No matter the distance, what an experience!!!

Hope this helps.

That's global warming for you, the extra temperature has made the earth expand.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a handheld Garmin GPS device, a Garmin GPS watch, and an iPhone with GPS. I once experimented by measuring a walk with all 3 devices. Unsurprisingly I got 3 different results.
Whatever the official distance is, the Actual distance is probably at least +/-1%, and that presumably assumes taking the absolute shortest route - the racing line.
I doubt that any of us walk less than 800km if we include visits to cathedrals, and the searches for shops and albergue.
I tell everyone it's 800km...its a good enough figure :)

I have a handheld Garmin GPS device, a Garmin GPS watch, and an iPhone with GPS. I once experimented by measuring a walk with all 3 devices. Unsurprisingly I got 3 different results.
Whatever the official distance is, the Actual distance is probably at least +/-1%, and that presumably assumes taking the absolute shortest route - the racing line.
I doubt that any of us walk less than 800km if we include visits to cathedrals, and the searches for shops and albergue.
I tell everyone it's 800km...its a good enough figure :)
As we say around here, that's close enough for government work.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back