• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

COVID Actual situation in Spain Feb 2021 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark L

Year of past OR future Camino
Done : Le Puy to SJPdP in 2020.
Planned : Saint Jean to Santiago in 2021
Hi

i know things are more than a bit moveable and current weather isn’t going to allow me to get up and out of SjPP but I’d just like a view on what the general state is on the Spanish side currently

i managed to get across the French side last year before things closed down (via podensis) and and I’m beginning to consider how/if/when I could continue onwards On the next stages.

Obviously it’s early year but I just pondered how I’d know what is going on on the Spanish side. Last year was easy because I live on the route (Cajarc) in france so I could follow all the status here and slot in in three jumps to get it done but I don’t know spain or Spanish so well so thought I’d just get a view on what those who do are thinking right now

no guarantees, just expert guess is fine

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Seriously? Check with your embassy in France and the Spanish Embassy....
In charity, please think of the Spanish people... as most of them are not vaccinated and the variants are now spreading. Stay in your own country until the country you intend to visit indicates it is open to foreigners.

Last edited:

jdsssss

I walked from Sarria to Santiago in 2018 and am planning to do the full Camino in 2021.
My flight from Dublin to Biarritz which was due to be on 22nd April was cancelled by Ryanair a few days ago. It wasn’t unexpected but I had been hoping things would have improved prior to then.

It took a lot of planning over the past two years, with work, to get the six weeks off to complete the full Camino but it wasn’t to be. As frustrating as it is, I can’t complain too much about not getting on a holiday when people are getting sick and dying.

I would say it will be August / Sept at the earliest before it may be safe to walk again, depending on the speed of the vaccination programme and how effective it is against new strains. For me, I will probably try to postpone for a year (if work allows me the time off) but if that’s not possible I will have to complete the camino in stages over the next few years.

Camino Magnets
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
My flight from Dublin to Biarritz which was due to be on 22nd April was cancelled by Ryanair a few days ago. It wasn’t unexpected but I had been hoping things would have improved prior to then.

It took a lot of planning over the past two years, with work, to get the six weeks off to complete the full Camino but it wasn’t to be. As frustrating as it is, I can’t complain too much about not getting on a holiday when people are getting sick and dying.

I would say it will be August / Sept at the earliest before it may be safe to walk again, depending on the speed of the vaccination programme and how effective it is against new strains. For me, I will probably try to postpone for a year (if work allows me the time off) but if that’s not possible I will have to complete the camino in stages over the next few years.
Sorry Jd.... that things did not work out for you. Like all of us we have had to forego trips planned in 2020 and now We are experiencing cancellations for 2021. But, of course, your perspective is thoughtful. We are safe, while others are sick and dying. I know none of us would want to make the situation worse. I do hope you can get the time off in the future to be able to do the Camino at one time! Blessings and stay safe!

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
To reiterate just wait. The vaccine rollout is slow. Variant strains are upon us. There is so much uncertainty. Stay home, get a vaccine, social distance and wear your mask to protect others.No one has a clue right now. If anyone says they do they would be a very rich person playing the stock market and betting. Look around at this crazy world. It is impossible to predict tomorrow let alone the safe opening of Spain.

Mark L

Done : Le Puy to SJPdP in 2020.
Planned : Saint Jean to Santiago in 2021
Hi all,

don’t panic, the last thing I want to do is hurt others by inappropriate attempts. Not me, not my intention and based on some responses here, some seem to have taken that as my question ... it is not. I’m trying to look at the whole year, not tomorrow.

i should maybe say that I wasnt intending to set out next week, or to endanger anyone or to ... Well, hopefully you get my intention

at home I run a canoe Exped based outdoor business which was written off last year and will again (in my assessment) be the same this year so I’m not expecting much if anything in positive.

it was more about what the local Assessment was for this year as a whole. I know that’s variable in the extreme right now but I’m just trying to have a local gauge on what the current reality on the Spanish side is ...

sorry If I alarmed anyone but it was a simple enqury

to summarise the responses so far ...

- stay away (now)
-don’t be impatient and endanger us all by your impatience

frankly, I wasn’t asking or intending to do anything now
I’m not being impatient ... I’m just asking so I can assess what, if anything I try to consider (let alone plan)
- nor can anyone else do anything right now ... I hadn’t planned to anyway so I’d not be cancelling stuff, rather just thinking to actually not choose to at all

I didn’t realise a simple question would get the sort of response but I guess people are concerned by the impact of any answer

for the record, when I can (without hurting anyone else), then I will
im just trying to assess it is all

Last edited:

AlwynWellington

Veteran Member
please see signature
Stay in your own country until the country you intend to visit indicates it is open to foreigners.

The US government guide to travellers a few moments ago says:
"Entry and Exit Requirements: SPAIN
Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? No"

The UK government guide to travellers a few moments ago says:

"Entry to Spain​

Spain’s borders are open to European Union and Schengen-area countries."

(In my words, UK, US and any other nationals need not apply)
(Of course, @Mark L of Cajarc, you have local rules to guide you)

Of course, all of this may change tomorrow. But I am not holding my breath.

Looking towards our uttermost ends of the world, many in Oceania are seeing 2023 as starting to become more likely than 2022 for a sort of return to a new normality. One factor will be the days of low-cost travel may not return any time soon.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (Be strong, confident and patient)

Last edited:
Camino Magnets
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Unanswerable questions can lead to difficult responses.
An international community of Camino enthusiasts can have opinions, hopes and even, dare I say, expectations. Nevertheless there are few here who can anticipate the actions and decisions of the government of Spain and none, I’ll suggest, who can predict the future.
The Camino will be as it always has. Spain will welcome Pilgrims as it always has: when it is ready

Status
Not open for further replies.