• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Actual snow situation on the CF 2014

JP2speeds

Time of past OR future Camino
Arles-Santiago 2002,Le Puy 2004, El Norte+Primitivo 2006, Leon-Santiago+Portugese 2007 , La Plata 2010, San Salvador+ Primitivo 2012, Via Francigena Italian part 2013. VF Besançon-Italy; Genève-Le Puy 2014. Luther way+Le Puy-St-Gilles+Piemont camino+Camino Frances 2015.
Hello, I have a friend ( who does not speak or write english) who is starting the CF fron SJPDP on march 5th. I would like to know the snow situation along the CF and specially at the Roncevalles pass. Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Next week will see rain followed by snow at Roncesvalles Thursday and Friday. There has been plenty of snow so far this year, so off-trail walking would be hazardous. It is impossible to guess March 1 right now. Check again at the very end of February.

I'm afraid you and your friend need to get along now with uncertainty...;)
Don't worry, he/she will be fine. The camino Frances is a very safe route unless you really put an effort to make it unsafe.

Last edited:
I, too, tried to forecast snow between SJPdP and Roncesvalles before I arrived last weekend in SJPdP -- to no avail.

When I arrived I was informed by the pilgrim office that the Napolean Route was impassable, due not to snow -- but fog -- and was directed to travel via Valcarlos, which I did.

It began to rain after I passed Valcarlos, and the rain turned to snow before I began the steep narrow ascent to Ibaneta. To my left, at the higher elevations of the Napolean Route, I could see fog and snow.

It goes without saying that I was wise to heed the direction of the pilgrim office not to attempt the Napolean Route -- despite and especially having lived in the northeast US where snow and fog are common.

Now here is what the pilgrim office could not advise -- one of many unpredictable variables along the Camino Frances, or any hiking route through remote areas: a large tree had recently fallen and blocked the path almost completely, and this particular part of the path was not easily passable. Had I not been able to pass the fallen tree, then I could have turned back to Valcarlos. Had the path been blocked on the ascent to Ibaneta, while it was snowing, where footing was less certain, turning back would have meant a long, very long trek -- unless I managed to flag down a passing car at one of the few points where the path crosses a highway.

My point is this: the issue in crossing the Pyrenees is not only snow; it's fog, one's endurance later in the day, the steepness of an ascent or descent, whether rain has turned the path into a small brook, etc.

Be careful when deciding when and where to press on. Review the profile map the pilgrim office provides in SJPdP prior to committing to walk to the next town. Review the list of albergues open all year to know where stopping points/shelter occurs. This list also provides some limited direction as to what facilities (food, bathrooms, covered areas to change clothing/care for feet) probably will occur. (Note that published guidebooks favor April through October, not February and March -- consequently, one should be prepared to walk longer distances. more than 6-8 kilometers between facilities).

Finally, as to snow between SJPdP and Roncesvalles, I am told half a meter of snow fell earlier this week after I crossed Ibaneta. As Falcon and others advise: the weather is unpredictable, even within a single day.

Be careful.

Last edited:
I will add one observation: I would recommend your friend carry a smartphone with the ability to use an app like iTranslate -- which has been indispensable for me; I am not fluent in Spanish.

This app translates my typed -- or spoken -- question or statement from English to Spanish (and dozens of other languages) as written words and/or spoken words in that other language. Local people who work hard to try to help me have appreciated the ability to read or hear what I am trying to say, and to be able to respond in a way I understand.

The manager of an albergue outside Estella downloaded the app to his smartphone to help him communicate with pilgrims.

Last edited:
Thank you i will come back in two weeks for an update.
jpierre

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
O Cebreiro looks pretty cold and windy!

crtvg-cebreiro.jpg

www.yr.no (yr=drizzle) is probably the most reliable weather forecast in Europe, due to the high density topographic positions contained within its dababase model, which in turn is a result of the difficult and varying landscape in Norway. Makes it very accurate for the rest of the world, too.. 7 million different locations. State driven. Change from Norwegian to English language in the upper right corner, if needed.

Mountain pass:

http://www.yr.no/place/Spain/Navarra/Puerto_de_Iba%C3%B1eta/long.html

Roncesvalles:

http://www.yr.no/place/Spain/Navarra/Orreaga%C2%A4002fRoncesvalles/long.html

O Cebreiro:

http://www.yr.no/place/Spain/Galicia/Cebreiro~3125550/long.html

Last edited:
I will add one observation: I would recommend your friend carry a smartphone with the ability to use an app like iTranslate -- which has been indispensable for me; I am not fluent in Spanish.

This app translates my typed -- or spoken -- question or statement from English to Spanish (and dozens of other languages) as written words and/or spoken words in that other language. Local people who work hard to try to help me have appreciated the ability to read or hear what I am trying to say, and to be able to respond in a way I understand.

The manager of an albergue outside Estella downloaded the app to his smartphone to help him communicate with pilgrims.
Thanks for this information as I do have a smartphone. I have one question: Once I have downloaded this app, does the phone need a wifi when I use it (this app), or it can be used offline? My main concern is that I might need the translation when I'm not near a wifi spot. Thanks and buen camino. -Hieu

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can use google Translate app offline
Just download the language you need

I will add one observation: I would recommend your friend carry a smartphone with the ability to use an app like iTranslate
Thank you very much! I just downloaded the free version and it works like a charm (well, almost). I take pride in speaking Spanish as best I can (which is little...) this one will help me learn more, and I can translate sentences beforehand, and play them off when I need them!:cool:

Great app, will be using it a lot, me thinks!!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There is rain predicted in Biarritz until 4 March. It is currently just above freezing but there was snow on top of la Rhune 24 Feb down to about the 800 meter elevation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your friend can check with the Pilgrim Office in SJPP the night before they walk.
If it is unsafe to walk the trail, they will know.
If they advise to walk the road, then walk the road!
It seems like every year, young healthy pilgrims get lost or die when they don't listen.

I can only imagine what kinds of warnings the Pilgrim Office is handing out on 28 Feb, there has been a powerful storm blowing in off of the Atlantic since early this morning, at times it was strong enough to knock my 100kg frame on my ass. A heavy band of stinging ice pellets were falling around 1:30. Sad story making the round in Biarritz today, apparently some news source is report that a Swedish pilgrim was raped in SJPdP last night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The snow situation doesn't sound good at all for someone arriving in a few days...

Where did you hear about the sexual assault? It's terrible to hear :(

Found this on the Internet, article is from a local St Jean french paper. Translated with Bing, I corrected the grammar a bit.

In recent days, in the small town of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port there are some rumors about rape that was committed on a Pilgrim of Swiss nationality. The State of the investigation conducted by the gendarmerie brigade of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, is in its early stages and can't confirm if any of the facts are established.

On the other hand, some of the the facts are as follows: a man domiciled in the canton, but not originally from the Department, was placed in custody and questionned by the police within the confines of the brigade of Saint-Palais. The individual will be questionned again later on.

Reporting to the police

The disclosure of the facts by the victim from gendarmerie services reportedly took place Wednesday, February 19. For some unknown reason (the fear of retaliation, the influence exerted by the perpetrator, if these have been committed), the victim has not lodged a complaint. The person who reported these facts of rape with the gendarmerie is a Swiss Pilgrim who made a stop in St.-Jean-Pied-Port on the way to Santiago de Compostela. According to her testimony, she was to have joined a french friend.

The Swiss Pilgrim made a stop at the shelter located at n ° 55, rue de la Citadelle. The Hostel welcomes «pilgrims from around the world, and many young Koreans. Last year, a Korean was raped in Galicia", said a worried volunteer. Mayor Alphonse Idart says: "We have not been officially warned by the gendarmerie." With respect to the premises where the Swiss was staying, they are "made available by the municipality since the dawn of time", says the elected official.

Breach of trust

The man suspected of rape did not work for the pilgrim's Hostel and the associations that manages it. He probably abused the trust of a person close to the Hostel to come into contact with the Pilgrim. "The pilgrimage of Santiago has become a phenomenon and many people hang around and not always with the best intentions.," regrets a volunteer for the Hostel.

The absence of complaint shall not prevent the prosecution of the individual in question, if the facts alleged to have been committed in the canton of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port are true. Rape, defined by article 222-23 of the penal Code, is a crime punishable by twenty years of imprisonment.

Last edited:
Today, avalanches and wind to 55mph in Roncesvalles, then another 15cm of snow.

Snow and strong winds in O Cebreiro Monday.

The story on 3/3/2014 is the high wind advisories along the French Atlantic coast, there are winds over 100k/m and one can only imagine how that affects things in the higher elevations.

The forecast overnight for 3/3 is for 80 to 100cm of snow in the Basque mountains. The wind advisories are level rouge for the entire Spanish coast tonight and tomorrow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
www.yr.no (yr=drizzle) is probably the most reliable weather forecast in Europe, due to the high density topographic positions contained within its dababase model, which in turn is a result of the difficult and varying landscape in Norway. Makes it very accurate for the rest of the world, too.. 7 million different locations. State driven. Change from Norwegian to English language in the upper right corner, if needed.

Mountain pass:

http://www.yr.no/place/Spain/Navarra/Puerto_de_Iba%C3%B1eta/long.html

Roncesvalles:

http://www.yr.no/place/Spain/Navarra/Orreaga%C2%A4002fRoncesvalles/long.html

O Cebreiro:

http://www.yr.no/place/Spain/Galicia/Cebreiro~3125550/long.html
Where were these last year when I needed to know how HOT it was. The website is "out of sight"!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The forecast beginning 6 March is for at week of warm sunshine. The cyclone has abated today and the skies are clearing, I assume the only problem will be melting snow and mud.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello,
I am very curious if the Napoleon Route is presently "open" and passable (as of the 8th of March 2014). If anyone had been crossing the Pyrenees on the way to Roncesvalles recently, I would greatly appreciate any tips or comments. It seems like in the next few days there will be plenty of sunshine and 20C /70F in SJPP during the next few days, and it seems like a perfect weather to start the Camino (I will on the 12th March). It can be different up in the mountains though. So thank you for any recent info and advice!
Arthur

Hello,
I am very curious if the Napoleon Route is presently "open" and passable (as of the 8th of March 2014). If anyone had been crossing the Pyrenees on the way to Roncesvalles recently, I would greatly appreciate any tips or comments. It seems like in the next few days there will be plenty of sunshine and 20C /70F in SJPP during the next few days, and it seems like a perfect weather to start the Camino (I will on the 12th March). It can be different up in the mountains though. So thank you for any recent info and advice!
Arthur
The pilgrim office says the Napolean route is closed, with a meter or snow in places. The weather has been in the 70's with no rain in the forecast. I had wanted to walk that way as well, but the Valcarlos route is stunningly beautiful. I had planned on making it to Roncesvalles, but I only made it to the town of Valcarlos. I've never been so happy to have failed. This town is amazing, the municipal albergue is modern, clean, and affordable, and everyone here has been very gracious and helpful. I think John Brierley really needs to reevaluate the Valcarlos route.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you Jeffnd! I guess the Valcarlos alternative will work for me. Still curious how often the Napoleon Route info is updated at the Pilgrims' Office in SJPP. Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
From a flatlander down near the coast, it is everything they forecasted. Incredibly, unseasonably warm sunshine for early March with mid 20C's by noon but at night it returns to near freezing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was in SJPdP on 18 march, it was damp and chilly, I passed 4 pilgrims walking up the Napoleon on my way to Orisson, unfortunately the road is barricaded just above the place where the path turns left off the road towards Orisson, so I never it made it up there. As of 22 march 2014, the forecast is for rain for the next 4 or 5 days and it will remain chilly. A friend of mine told me this morning she drove through Roncevalles on 20 march on the way to spend the day skiing not far from there.

Re: SJPdP and Roncevalles
In Biarritz it rained most of the day and at 19h on 22 march there are storm clouds moving in quickly off the Atlantic, there is a very low cloud ceiling at about 600m, so it must be freezing (and snowing) in the mountains because it is only 7c on the beach and sleet began falling about an hour later.
Sunday morning, the 23rd, as I look out the window I see a snow covering on all of the mountains south of me down to at least the 300 meter elevation. Take care.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
More giant storm clouds moving in over the mountains on Sunday night but we must mind our priorities because el Clasico at 21h has the attention of everybody in Spain tonight. It should be an epic match!

I planned to take a picture of La Rhune this morning but it is essentially in white out mode at noon with a snow covering halfway down the mountain which peaks at 900m. The Route Napoleon tops out at 1430m.

€83,-
I planned to take a picture of La Rhune this morning but it is essentially in white out mode at noon with a snow covering halfway down the mountain which peaks at 900m. The Route Napoleon tops out at 1430m.

I'm taking it this is likely to mean that the Napolean Route is out of action for the next few days??

According to Kanga on another thread "From Miami to SJPDP" the snow was knee deep in Roncesvalles yesterday (3/24). This morning there is driving rain and 40-56 k/h winds in Biarritz.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
According to Kanga on another thread "From Miami to SJPDP" the snow was knee deep in Roncesvalles yesterday (3/24). This morning there is driving rain and 40-56 k/h winds in Biarritz.
That's enough to make me stop complaining about our eternal winter here in Maine! Brrrrrrr!

€83,-
Napoleon route is closed, unfortunately Valcarlos route is advised by the pilgrim office this morning. However there is still plenty of snow around when you get back on the path after Roncesvalles, makes it hard going in places - on my way to Viscarret currently.

... However there is still plenty of snow around when you get back on the path after Roncesvalles, makes it hard going in places - on my way to Viscarret currently.

You can always follow the road N 135 from Roncesvalles down to Zubiri. It is slightly longer than the camino path but MUCH SAFER in fog, heavy rain or snow.

MM

Thank you very much! I just downloaded the free version and it works like a charm (well, almost). I take pride in speaking Spanish as best I can (which is little...) this one will help me learn more, and I can translate sentences beforehand, and play them off when I need them!:cool:
More giant storm clouds moving in over the mountains on Sunday night but we must mind our priorities because el Clasico at 21h has the attention of everybody in Spain tonight. It should be an epic match!
Hi Alex,
If you are on the VDLP in May my Spanish is rubbish, my grasp of apps etc etc is rubbish. But I do know mine is a large beer please.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can always follow the road N 135 from Roncesvalles down to Zubiri. It is slightly longer than the camino path but MUCH SAFER in fog, heavy rain or snow.

MM

Good advice, I did that for a bit and then returned to the path later on.

Although the snow was omnipresent from viscarret, the paths themselves had little snow on them. After zubiri it's all gone and like a pleasant spring day.

We start walking the Napoleon route on the 20th of April, how is the snow situation ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I heard yesterday that the pass was closed and people were being routed to the Valcarlos.
But the best thing is to check with the pilgrim office when you are in SJPP.

I spent the week of 7-13 April in the wine region near St. Emilion and the weather was brilliant. It hasn't dipped below freezing for several weeks and there is lots of sunshine and spring has definitely started earlier than last year. I doubt there is still much snow on the Napoleon Route.

Ooh you lucky people, it sounds so exciting! I can't help but wish I was going too. It just my favourite time of the year to be on Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"I doubt there is still much snow on the Napoleon Route. "

Great to hear, Sunday Morning we are heading out to our reserved beds in Orisson and Monday night we sleep in Spain!

Today it is severe clear. The 25th is ten days away, so there could be a blizzard. Weather forecasts are pretty unreliable until just a couple days out, so check the weather sites beginning about the 20th. You can get a final analysis in SJPdP from the Pilgrim Office. They give good advice!:)

Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"I doubt there is still much snow on the Napoleon Route. "

Great to hear, Sunday Morning we are heading out to our reserved beds in Orisson and Monday night we sleep in Spain!

I'll be a week behind you JP, hoping there won't be any snow on the Napoleon Route as well. Buen Camino!

29th April for me and hoping the Napoleon Route is clear by then.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a question...I leave SJPP 1st May, if Napoloen is shut (is it currently open?) can you still get to Orisson? as paid to stay that night?

As of 29 April there has been fairly steady rain for a week, melting sleet at sea level yesterday morning with temps hovering in the low teens. I was in SJPdP on 25/4 and some pilgrims were wearing shorts.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back