• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Addictive or what?

Chuck Cunningham

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting April, 15, 2017
I have never had a problem becoming addictive to anything on the computer. I'm not a gamer. I do not stay on FB for hours at a time, I don't message for hours, etc ... buttttttt this site is claiming me. I'm finding myself sitting at the puter for hours... reading, asking, learning. It's getting unreal. I have to slow down or quit before checking into a 12 step program. If I just go about my business, i'm fine. Then all I gotta do is think.."well, I'll quit cleaning/packing for a second and just check on recent topics...just a peek, just a second... fat chance... then I notice the sun has gone down...I'm tired and think "Well, I'll give it hell tomorrow." I'm an alcoholic, 30 yrs abstinent but my addiction to this site has all the ear marks as any other addiction I have had the displeasure to view... LOL...okay I'm outta here. I gotta stop at least before I get the dark racoon eyes and blank stare when out in public.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have never had a problem becoming addictive to anything on the computer. I'm not a gamer. I do not stay on FB for hours at a time, I don't message for hours, etc ... buttttttt this site is claiming me. I'm finding myself sitting at the puter for hours... reading, asking, learning. It's getting unreal. I have to slow down or quit before checking into a 12 step program. If I just go about my business, i'm fine. Then all I gotta do is think.."well, I'll quit cleaning/packing for a second and just check on recent topics...just a peek, just a second... fat chance... then I notice the sun has gone down...I'm tired and think "Well, I'll give it hell tomorrow." I'm an alcoholic, 30 yrs abstinent but my addiction to this site has all the ear marks as any other addiction I have had the displeasure to view... LOL...okay I'm outta here. I gotta stop at least before I get the dark racoon eyes and blank stare when out in public.
Hey, one little drink can't hurt, right?? LOL just sayin'

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I too got sucked into following threads on this forum (and I too have my own 12 step meetings)
I finally realized I was spending more head time investigating that living it and had to focus on getting out a doing
- whether it was training hikes, trying out gear rather than reading the 20th opinion on a subject
Actually testing gear,getting out and doing it, allowed me to make experienced decisions and halted the needed to check on every view point
of course here I am reading everyone's notes
progress not perfection

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got addicted to reading this site before I went. Then I came back and gave too much advice. I wasn't interested in looking at the photo section until a few months later, and now I pine over the pictures. It reminds me of how I felt about summer camp in the mountains as a child.

Chuck, are you familiar with the concept of "Harm Reduction"? If so, you should acknowledge that this addiction is much healthier than alcoholism. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
there also is the addictive problem of blowing the breeze with perfect fellows strangers while guzzling cheap red wine

P.S. bring your own cork screw , the closer you get to Santiago , the more miserable the kitchen gear get
mine was used by others for a modest fee of a half glass drunk to their health

Me too. Perhaps that is some sort of pre-Camino syndrome (?); data-gathering. I study photos of pilgrims in the rain, the mud, rocky roads, boots, the insides of the albergues, pilgrims, the pilgrim meal ... to see what pilgrims have to contend with; not so much the beautiful pictures - there will be moments for them.

Good for you Chuck you're going into the next level in a few days. I have to postpone mine for 1 year.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes, I’m addicted to this site too, but not when I’m on a camino. And, strangely, I don’t miss it then. Well, maybe not so strangely :rolleyes:.
Jill

The last couple of weeks before we're off again - I know what I'll be doing with all my lunch breaks.

Yes, it's addictive.

Fortunately, I've found that I'm able to let go for a while AFTER each Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back