• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Adding a zipper to a Costco quilt

Jill81

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ’14,’19
Portuguese ‘15
Via Francigena ’16
Kumano Kodo, Japan 2017
VdlP 2018 to be cont’d
I love my Costco down quilt — it’s super lightweight and warm and at about $/€35 very inexpensive too. But I thought it would be handy to be able to use it as a sleeping bag so I’ve added a full length lightweight zipper, at a cost of less than $/€5. This makes it considerably warmer than using snaps or Velcro and it can still be opened up completely and used as a quilt.
To make this you need about 3 yards/meters of what’s called “continuous zip”, available at sewing stores, and a zipper foot on your machine. The trick to being able to open the quilt up completely once the zip is installed is to leave a little “tail” at the very end, (see photo). Also make sure that the zipper pull tab is running in the correct direction, from the top (head end) down, otherwise you’ll never get out of the thing.😉
Okay, maybe this is not a project for a novice sewer but maybe you have a friend who sews?

😊KEEP CALM AND SEW ON!😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a rumpl down throw—this would be a great add! Thanks

I love my Costco down quilt — it’s super lightweight and warm and at about $/€35 very inexpensive too. But I thought it would be handy to be able to use it as a sleeping bag so I’ve added a full length lightweight zipper, at a cost of less than $/€5. This makes it considerably warmer than using snaps or Velcro and it can still be opened up completely and used as a quilt.
To make this you need about 3 yards/meters of what’s called “continuous zip”, available at sewing stores, and a zipper foot on your machine. The trick to being able to open the quilt up completely once the zip is installed is to leave a little “tail” at the very end, (see photo). Also make sure that the zipper pull tab is running in the correct direction, from the top (head end) down, otherwise you’ll never get out of the thing.😉
Okay, maybe this is not a project for a novice sewer but maybe you have a friend who sews?

😊KEEP CALM AND SEW ON!😊

View attachment 52466
View attachment 52467
What a great idea! We went when it was a bit warmer so I just used a sleeping bag liner- like a sleeping bag but no zipper so you have to crawl in and out. Because my feet get hot and I always have to get up in the middle of the night, I opened the bottom and but a hem in it so that my toe could hook on the hem and pull it down. So when I got up to go to the bathroom I just pulled it up to my waist and walked to the bathroom then pulled it down when I got back in bed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

😊KEEP CALM AND SEW ON!😊

View attachment 52466
View attachment 52467
I have been searching Costco store and online and have not found anything like this!!

😊KEEP CALM AND SEW ON!😊

View attachment 52466
View attachment 52467

Brilliant! Do you realize you could sell these enhanced quilts for double your investment? Once you figure the process out, wait for an order, go to Costco, buy the quilt and fulfill the order.

I am interested. Is there a color choice? Also, what are the finished interior dimensions?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve also used a Costco down throw that I added snaps to. I like your idea of a zipper even better. Thanks for sharing. Amazon carries the extract same throw in four colors at a bit of a higher price.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Brilliant! Do you realize you could sell these enhanced quilts for double your investment? Once you figure the process out, wait for an order, go to Costco, buy the quilt and fulfill the order.

I am interested. Is there a color choice? Also, what are the finished interior dimensions?
The one I bought from Costco had an Eddie Bauer tag on it but it was exactly the same dimensions (60 x 70 inches) and weight as the more commonly sold Black Diamond brand, which can be found on Amazon.com now.
Once the zipper is installed the dimensions are 30 inches wide by 70 inches long, or 76 x 178 cm, so not overly long or generous but it works for me.
Cheers,
Jill

€60,-
I sewed on a six inch piece of ribbon at about knee level on both sides, and tied them together. It prevents the quilt from slithering off. I can wrap it around my sleep sheet/liner or use it stand alone. I've stayed toasty warm and can let air in when it gets too warm.

I’ve also used a Costco down throw that I added snaps to. I like your idea of a zipper even better. Thanks for sharing. Amazon carries the extract same throw in four colors at a bit of a higher price.

View attachment 52491
If you don't have a COSTCO nearby Brits can find them on eBay at £21.69 and eBay in the USA have loads at around $32

I used KAM snaps to make mine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I soooooo wish I could buy two for my sister and me, planning for starting the vdlp in 6 weeks! I live in The Netherlands and just can’t find those here, or a shop that ships to this country 😕

I soooooo wish I could buy two for my sister and me, planning for starting the vdlp in 6 weeks! I live in The Netherlands and just can’t find those here, or a shop that ships to this country 😕
Just a thought - do you know anybody coming to the UK, specifically Kent, in the next few weeks?

Last edited:
I have a couple of extra Costco blankets - brand new, but I'm afraid that the shipping would be prohibitively expensive. :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a great idea! I sewed velcro onto mine but I love the idea of the zipper! The velcro is super noisy when you want to open it and it's kinda scratchy too!

This one does ship to the Netherlands:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Packable...m=333097841915&_trksid=p2047675.c100037.m2107

No import charges for the time being, as the UK is still pre-Brexit.

off-to-bed-smiley.gif

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Its 60X70 inches (152cmX177CM) so figure its half when a sleeping bag. Have seeing only in blue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks all!
I manager to buy two and I even received them already!
They seem very thin, or is it me? I find it hard to imaginaire they are warm enough?
But ik you all way they are... Then I have to believe you don’t I :)
I’m going to think about ho to close it. I saw several options. Funding a sipper that long seems hard. Velcro is noisy someone mentioned. Hmmm.... 🤔

Thanks all!
I manager to buy two and I even received them already!
They seem very thin, or is it me? I find it hard to imaginaire they are warm enough?
But ik you all way they are... Then I have to believe you don’t I :)
I’m going to think about ho to close it. I saw several options. Funding a sipper that long seems hard. Velcro is noisy someone mentioned. Hmmm.... 🤔

Google 'slaapzakrits'...!

yay-smiley.gif

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.