A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Adding Padding to Existing and Non-Removable Backpack HIPBELT...

RumAndChupacabras

"Once Started, Camino Never Ends"!
Camino(s) past & future
Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga, San Sebastian de Garabandal: April 2018 Portuguese: May/June 2016
Hi All,

I know I've read about this before but can't for the life of me find any of those threads (of course)! SO, would you be so kind as to throw a few links about it my way? Or better yet...let me know what kind of eggcrate foam, foam pipe padding, etc. you've added to your hipbelt to make it successfully more comfortable?

I have an REI Flash 45 which I'm well please with. I've removed the top cap and have my load at 11 pounds.

Attachments

Advertisment

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
My Mammut pack has substantially less padding than the Flash and it was very comfortable on my hips (and shoulders) and no rubbing. I wear a Macabi skirt so no back pockets to rub on (if that is a problem). Skirt is worn over a pair of compression shorts so there is a layer, kind acting like sock liners, that doesn't transfer the rubbing to my undies and skin.

Camino(s) past & future
C. Francés (2004-), C. Portugués, C. de Madrid, 1/2 V. Plata, 1/8 Levante, hospitalera Grado 2016.
I imagine that the self-adhesive foam padding that is made for bicycle helmets could come in quite useful for belt-padding as well.

(The few days when my hip bones feel bruised from my belt, I just wind my scarf around the belt and keep going.)

Camino(s) past & future
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
I have never needed to try this .. just thinking ... in plumbers merchant and DIY shops you can buy high density foam tubes that are slit all along so that they can be pushed over domestic water pipes to keep them frost free ... these could work on thin waist straps I should think, with a little gaffer to close them and hold them in place?

p_SCP_241_04.jpg

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga, San Sebastian de Garabandal: April 2018 Portuguese: May/June 2016
"... high density foam tubes..."
HAH! Just last night I bought a swimming pool noodle (very similar). I'm going to play around with it and see what might come of it.
@GreatDane, I've got a Macabi and Capri leggings too, so I'll try that combo before I try the noodle.

Advertisment

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
Found my own resolution at the local 99 Cents Only store...super lightweight and inexpensive 99 cent store applicator pads.jpg !

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Bob Hummel Equipment Questions 15

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 101 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 165 25.5%