• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Additional funds for the Pyrenees area of the route.

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Various ones.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh dear, I’d better walk the Aragonés asap, before they turn it into yet another ‘pilgrim autopista’ o_O

They are going to invest more than 3 million euros! Here´s the list of improvements the article describes:

— a Welcome center at the station in Canfranc
— an albergue in Canfranc
— development of programs and education promoting the route
—marketing the route
— getting unified signage
— help maintaining the part of this route that´s in France (not sure I get that)
— improving safety by building pedestrian bridges between Pont de Cebers and Gare de Urdos

This is related to the plan mspath alerted us to a while ago, the rehabilitation of the old station into a fancy hotel. Seems like there is someone in this part of Spain with a lot of money and grandiose visions. I absolutely loved the Aragonés and am at a loss to understand why the numbers are declining, but I’m not sure this is the antidote. But then, as I am nothing but an armchair critic, you shouldn’t pay much attention to me.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/canfranc-may-rise-again.51029/#post-558575

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is probably mostly good news -- and it's true that Canfranc is sorely in need of an albergue ; but the section that they're talking about investing in is principally used by weekend and holiday walkers, whereas the section immediately north of Jaca remains quite seriously deprived.

Furthermore this quote "El objetivo general de este proyecto es desarrollar una oferta turística común" quite clearly suggests that tourism, not pilgrimage, is the focus (though we'll still benefit by default), though of course running the pilgrim infrastructures as businesses for purposes of profit has been a common theme on the Aragonès for I believe quite some time (pacem the few genuinely amazing albergues on that Way).

But if they can provide a bit less tarmac on the Spanish side and a bit more trail, that'll be good.

And it would be fantastic if they could do the same on the French side, in that final section which is a Spanish GR on French soil, as some quite lengthy stretches of that route can sometimes be pretty dangerous to walk beside in that heavy traffic.

Albergue Monte de Gozo was a 1993 grand vision!! When I stopped there in 2016 it looked mostly abandoned. Prince played there in August 1993.

Albergue Monte de Gozo was a 1993 grand vision!! When I stopped there in 2016 it looked mostly abandoned. Prince played there in August 1993.
Not sure what it's got to do with this thread, but it was looking abandoned 2 years ago when I passed through. 2021 may see it back to full or semi full occupancy, it was rammed when I passed through in 2010, it will need a bit of money spent on it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry to be obtuse!; trying to draw a parallel between the 1993 grand vision of Monte de Gozo and the new Canfranc 3 million euro grand vision. IMO neither did/will work well.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back