• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Adios Moabs

Cicada

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances St Jean -Santiago April -June 2017
Finally time to say goodbye to my beloved Merrill Moabs!!!! After
2 Caminos and many other shorter walks with no blisters or foot problems they' ve finally taken their last step.
Good news is that I have a brand new pair ready to go and if they serve me as well as these I'll be very happy 1800 k pretty good I reckon Cheer Roger

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
2 Caminos and many other shorter walks with no blisters or foot problems they' ve finally taken their last step.
Good news is that I have a brand new pair ready to go and if they serve me as well as these I'll be very happy 1800 k pretty good I reckon Cheer Roger
View attachment 60795
I 💜 my Merrill moabs as well, no blisters either. Wondering if i should chance a 2nd camino with them you have given me the confidence to go for it! Thanks

I 💜 my Merrill moabs as well, no blisters either. Wondering if i should chance a 2nd camino with them you have given me the confidence to go for it! Thanks
1stCamino was the Frances the 2nd was Portuguese so that's a bit over a 1000k I've had them for 5 years so figure about it ,1800k all up!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
View attachment 60795
They still look pretty good to me...seems a decent amount of tread left. Could they possibly have a happy retirement as yard work shoes? 😏
Probably raises a good question; how does everyone dispose of their faithful footwear?
It never feels right just putting them in the bin...they deserve a better end than that.
If they've served their purpose, I try to leave them at my walk's destination or at a place of travel ie train station or airport.
20190619_184534-979x1305.jpg
My trusty Salomons after 2100+ km worth of Via Francigena. They sadly made it no closer to home than Rome Termini stazione!
👣 🌏

Finally time to say goodbye to my beloved Merrill Moabs!!!! After 2 Caminos and many other shorter walks with no blisters or foot problems they' ve finally taken their last step.

This is good news for me. I bought a pair recently with the intent of using them for my upcoming camino. I've had no breaking in problems with them even on four hour hikes. It's likely that they may be the only shoe I take. They are slightly wide for my slightly narrow feet making them feel really comfortable when tied loosely but they cinch up tightly to prevent my feet from sliding around when walking.

They still look pretty good to me...seems a decent amount of tread left. Could they possibly have a happy retirement as yard work shoes? 😏
Probably raises a good question; how does everyone dispose of their faithful footwear?
It never feels right just putting them in the bin...they deserve a better end than that.
If they've served their purpose, I try to leave them at my walk's destination or at a place of travel ie train station or airport.
View attachment 60809
My trusty Salomons after 2100+ km worth of Via Francigena. They sadly made it no closer to home than Rome Termini stazione!
👣 🌏
The upper is coming away from the sole so yep they're done
Thinking of using them in the garden maybe as flower pots for a pair lovely red gerainiums!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1stCamino was the Frances the 2nd was Portuguese so that's a bit over a 1000k I've had them for 5 years so figure about it ,1800k all up!!!
Perfect my 1st camino was the Frances my 2nd in Sept/ Oct will be part Frances part Portuguese. Having read lots about the CP cobblestone can I ask how they worked out there? I was going to wear on them on the Frances to Sarria then send them to Ivar, do the CP from Porto in trail runners then retreive them for Finisterre, Muxia. Is all that necessary? Thanks for your input. Dee

Hi Dee. Yes the cobblestones are a bit of a pain take care as the Portuguese drivers travel at the same speed as they would on the highway.As for boots you'll need them to have a fair amount of tread.As for ankle support the PC is far less hilly terrain than the CF so your plan soundsfine to me. We walked in early September last year it was very hot and very busy but later on in the month it cooled off and quieted down
Buen camino

I'm also a Moab fan. I'm on my second pair of high top waterproofs for winter and second pair of low-top ventilators for summer, with probably 1500 km on each pair and never a blister. I've been tempted to switch to lighter trail runners, but as my pappy once said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The stiffer soles of the Moabs are foot savers on the Portuguese cobblestone roads.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wore Moabs on two Camino Frances. No complaints. Gave me the cushioning and stability I need as a bigger guy. Good grippy vibram soles. I used an aftermarket insole. They were of the non-waterproof variety, shoes not boots and both times were worn during the summer months. Very dry and very warm conditions. For me, one Camino Frances was about all they were good for. Possibly could have gotten another Camino out of each pair, but I ended up wearing them for other things like working outside and other shorter hikes and even canoe trips, so when time came to walk a Camino again I just purchased a new set.
I would guess that between walking the Camino and for work, I have gone through six pairs of Merrell Moabs over the years.

It's always tough to part ways with old friends, who have loved you unconditionally through the years...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There's a reason Merrell Moabs are available in such a wide range of models, sizes, soles, fabrics, colors and widths.
It's because they sell a lot of them, and haven done for years.
It doesn't stretch the brain overly much to figure out why that would be.
Regards
Gerard

There's a reason Merrell Moabs are available in such a wide range of models, sizes, soles, fabrics, colors and widths.
It's because they sell a lot of them, and haven done for years.
It doesn't stretch the brain overly much to figure out why that would be.
Regards
Gerard
That's true Geràrd they are very popular on the Caminos as are Osprey backpacks but I guess that's a thread for another time

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Alas, I do not share the love for Merrell Moabs. I used them for short hikes and on my daily walks of several miles for 2 years without a problem. But, after fewer than 10 days of daily Camino walking, of 8 hrs per day, my feet were beat to a pulp. I could feel every pebble, like I was barefoot. Am now in stiffer soles.

I am also a big fan of Merrell Moabs and am on my 3rd pair of mids. That said, I did not use them on the Camino and would not wear them when mountain walking. They are light and comfortable over normal terrain but not great on slopes, particularly when going downhill and over rough ground. I chose a pair of Scarpa Zen approach shoes for the Camino Frances, basically became they gave my feet greater support. Each to their own.😬

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The upper is coming away from the sole so yep they're done
Thinking of using them in the garden maybe as flower pots for a pair lovely red gerainiums!
I like to wear the same model. Very comfortable for my wide feet. I have an old pair that get recycled to occasional work shoes, before discarding. After many miles, I have only good things to say about the Moab’s. The water proof model is also more supportive

The water proof model is also more supportive
Perhaps because they are an older style? In reviews I read just about the only low star reviews of the moabs were by people complaining about the model change. Apparently the older version had some swipes near the ankles that provided support and they are now gone (to save on costs?). There were complaints about other changes too. That does mean the shoes aren't good, just not as good as they were.

Perhaps because they are an older style? In reviews I read just about the only low star reviews of the moabs were by people complaining about the model change. Apparently the older version had some swipes near the ankles that provided support and they are now gone (to save on costs?). There were complaints about other changes too. That does mean the shoes aren't good, just not as good as they were.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My Merrells enjoying their retirement. Soon to be joined by my Mammuts.

Attachments

• IMG_9246.JPG
    IMG_9246.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back