• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advance bookings!!! (Are they ruining the Camino?)

CaidosPeter

Time of past OR future Camino
May 23
The whole ethos of walking the Camino is being ruined by advance bookings of beds.
Obtaining beds is now a nightmare even trying to obtain bed 3 days in advance. This did not be the case before covid. Simply wanted to walk and stop wherever, now not possible. Not a pilgrimage anymore, simply a tourist trap !!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Obtaining beds is now a nightmare even trying to obtain bed 3 days in advance. This did not be the case before covid.
This was happening to my wife and I when we started walking in early May 2018, well before COVID, While it might be getting worse, and I haven't walked the CF since then, I wouldn't be blaming COVID for this. More, discussions about the 'bed race' were taking place from when I first joined the forum back in 2011, over a decade ago now, and that has been evident on the major routes that I have walked in Spain and Portugal at the end of spring and in early summer.

Quite deliberately, this year I did not book anything earlier than the previous evening, and most of the time I didn't start looking for somewhere to stay until around the middle of the day. This was on the CP walking from Tui. That worked, although looking at some of the commentary on the CF, it seems that sites like Booking.com don't have availability. My experience is that few places offer all their available spaces on such sites, and that it is always worth contacting the property directly to check if they have vacancies.

More, last year I stayed several times in municipal and Xunta albergues that always had space available until quite late in the evening. Were people avoiding them because they couldn't be booked? In one place, there were three of us for the 24 beds, and everything that could be booked in that town was. That indicates to me that there are probably sufficient beds available in most places.

Finally, I don't share your view that this stops the Camino being a pilgrimage. For me, the pilgrimage is to walk to the tomb of Santiago in the cathedral. It is far less important to me whether I have to book some place to stay to achieve that.

The whole ethos of walking the Camino is being ruined by advance bookings of beds.
Obtaining beds is now a nightmare even trying to obtain bed 3 days in advance. This did not be the case before covid. Simply wanted to walk and stop wherever, now not possible. Not a pilgrimage anymore, simply a tourist trap !!
I understand your frustration as I myself also prefer to walk as far as my feet and mind might carry me ... and decide on the fly where to stay for the night.

But I do not see why this problem makes it "a turist trap"?

Did you try to reserve by phone? Or by booking.com? Most places do not have all their beds at booking but only a limited number. Furthermore, there are albergues that do not accept reservations.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Always use my Spanish, and telephone. This will be my third time, but previously in March & late September. As stated better when you could just walk to the Albergue itself. This is the first time I have had to resort to using apps. Hate it! Brierleys book is my bible but now no use at all for booking. Brought my wife this time, but now it’s so stressful worrying about accommodation. Non private albergues should not take advanced bookings. OK except your objection re tourist trap, but how else to describe ??

A selection of Camino Jewellery
[...] OK except your objection re tourist trap, but how else to describe ??
Well, this is just a wording, where you put in your frustration.

I take it more factual: Idemand and supply (of accommodation) do not match. I would guess more people just want to do now in post-pandemic times what they could not do during recent years. If part of this increase will be permanent, then it will be met by supply eventually, but this will lag one or two years behind unfortunately.
To me it is also about the walking. And not having to think in advance about where to stay for the night frees your mind while walking.

I guess all we can do is avoid peak times, be prepared for public holidays like this weekend including May 1st (if you are caught in this it must be worse than what one would normally expect).

I will start on Camino Primitivo next week. I will see how that works out.

Last edited:
Thank you dougfitz for the info. Hopefully situation will improve as you found when we get beyond Pamplona
It really could be that this long weekend in Spain is the main cause of your frustration. Others have been reporting that April 29 to May 1 this year is crazy with every bed booked.

“There are way too many pilgrims here now! It’s hard to find a space to sleep anymore” - 11th century pilgrim 😉

Every year it gets busier, but that was true for returning pilgrims when we first walked in 2018 and thought it was fairly empty. Back then there were complaints about the bed race, but we stayed at simple albergues without pre-booking and it was fine. Meanwhile, we heard from others at that time that “nothing was available” because booking.com didn’t show private rooms at the albergue they HAD to stay in.

Yes, it’s much busier now than it was then. Sure it’s tougher to get the best beds in the best rooms in the best albergues in the best villages. But expand your comfort zone and you’ll find there is still room - it may be a mat on the floor, a small town a few kms off the main route, or even the best room in the house (which happened to us several times as we showed up later in the day without reservations and were simply pleasant and grateful in our interactions).

Be flexible, be appreciative, and be grateful that you can safely walk a thousand kilometers across a foreign land.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, maybe.

I love booking everything in advance. As a slow pilgrim who loves to enjoy every step and every moment of the beautiful Camino, to know I have my next 65+ days already booked from when I arrive in St Jean gives me peace and adds to my Camino experience. Thank you.

I know it was just a little rant, we've all been there

but on my first camino a little old lady said something to me about the crowds and bookings

"how dare they have the same ideas as me "

If there were no bookings.... the queues would be enormous. Beds will be available, they may not always be where you want them to be.. some days you might have to walk a little more, other days you will walk past a municipal and finish your day early.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well said. Just to add - if you're concerned about too many people, choose a less busy time if you're able to.
Or even another Camino. After all, those other Camino routes are precisely what Peter is desperate for. I do wonder though, if Peter and others complaining about too may people, would actually appreciate a Camino with no facilities, no bars, no food outlets, no open churches etc etc between start and finish points.

Maybe they would and so just need pointing in the right direction.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, maybe.

I love booking everything in advance. As a slow pilgrim who loves to enjoy every step and every moment of the beautiful Camino, to know I have my next 65+ days already booked from when I arrive in St Jean gives me peace and adds to my Camino experience. Thank you.
Yes, this for me as well.

Knowing I have a bed x amount of kms down the road at the end of the day provides three things for me:
1) I can be more present during my daily walk and not worried about finding lodging. I don't need that anxiety in the background of my day.
2) I can take more opportunities to stop and have conversations, go off the path to visit various sites, and not feel pressured to hurry.
3) I don't view the other pilgrims as competition.

For me this helps me stay in the "ethos of walking the Camino"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What is upsetting to me is when I see "There are no beds!" post when I know that I have half my beds open at an albergue. Then I find out it isn't a bed someone wants--it is a room or an apartment or a booking.com reservation at a private albergue. Yes, sometimes our albergues do fill up, but more often then not, the beds are not full at our volunteer location albergues. Only a few days have I worked somewhere where we were completo.

Everyone seems to be ingnoring the fact that there are still many municipal and parochial albergues that don't accept reservations.
Anecdotally (I’m in Burgos now, having prebooked almost all of this one before I left Australia to facilitate an intentional slowing down), I’m hearing folk are - in desperation - packing up and leaving at 5am to snag a muni bed. I heard that last night in Sam Juan de Ortega the muni was full ten minutes after opening.
As someone said, there’s simply more demand than supply. It will self correct, but probably not this year.

As someone said, there’s simply more demand than supply. It will self correct, but probably not this year.
I think it may be less of an issue in a few weeks time. In recent years there have usually been two peaks in numbers on the Frances - one in May/June and the other in September/October. Summer itself is less frantic. There may be a bit of a double blow working just now. Numbers are definitely up this year - both leaving SJPDP and arriving in Santiago. The pilgrim office is recording a 27% increase on last year's Compostela stats for the first quarter. And some albergues which closed during the long Covid lockdowns have not reopened. An unfortunate combination of factors.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What is upsetting to me is when I see "There are no beds!" post when I know that I have half my beds open at an albergue. Then I find out it isn't a bed someone wants--it is a room or an apartment or a booking.com reservation at a private albergue. Yes, sometimes our albergues do fill up, but more often then not, the beds are not full at our volunteer location albergues. Only a few days have I worked somewhere where we were completo.
This is very good to hear.

May I ask where these albergues are? I'm having a hard time figuring out what the actual on the ground situation is here.

My gut says a lot of this is noise coming from new travellers who are over-reliant on Booking(dot)com. But I've also heard from experienced pilgrims saying that people are sleeping outside...

Last edited:
As Trecile said there are lots of albergues that do not accept reservations. And lots of these albergues and donativos are some of the most wonderful on any camino. You can also try staying off the "stages". Finally there are many many other caminos to walk besides the CF that are just wonderful to do your pilgrimage. Here are just some of the routes on Gronze.com. Lots of information about all of these and of course there are more.

mapa-caminos-de-santiago.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Covid changed everything in all areas of our
lives. I did the CF in 2015 and had the time of my life. Getting ready to do the CF next week. I’m interested to see how it’s changed and how it’s stayed the same. To say it’s a tourist trap now sounds elitist, like you did it way before it was a cool thing to do. Everyone deserves their chance to walk the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Covid changed everything in all areas of our
lives. I did the CF in 2015 and had the time of my life. Getting ready to do the CF next week. I’m interested to see how it’s changed and how it’s stayed the same. To say it’s a tourist trap now sounds elitist, like you did it way before it was a cool thing to do. Everyone deserves their chance to walk the Camino.
I think Covid is only a partial explanation of the increased numbers and changing approach of pilgrims towards finding accommodation. There seems to be a significant rise in numbers so far this year which may be a rebound after a couple of years of travel restrictions. But the growth on the Caminos has been happening consistently for decades. I agree that everyone should have a chance to walk the Camino but they should also have realistic expectations and understand that it will not be the same experience as it was in 2015 or earlier - especially on the Camino Frances. I do not think it is "elitist" for someone who has known the Camino at a quieter and less "organized" time to state their preference for their earlier experience.

I think Covid is only a partial explanation of the increased numbers and changing approach of pilgrims towards finding accommodation. There seems to be a significant rise in numbers so far this year which may be a rebound after a couple of years of travel restrictions. But the growth on the Caminos has been happening consistently for decades. I agree that everyone should have a chance to walk the Camino but they should also have realistic expectations and understand that it will not be the same experience as it was in 2015 or earlier - especially on the Camino Frances. I do not think it is "elitist" for someone who has known the Camino at a quieter and less "organized" time to state their preference for their earlier experience.
Maybe I was being harsh calling you an “elitist.” Sorry. I’m hoping that the crowds will thin out after Pamplona. Time will tell. Buen Camino.

This is very good to hear.

May I ask where these albergues are? I'm having a hard time figuring out what the actual on the ground situation is here.

My gut says a lot of this is noise coming from new travellers who are over-reliant on Booking(dot)com. But I've also heard from experienced pilgrims saying that people are sleeping outside...
If you use Gronze.com you can see which albergues can be reserved and which ones cannot. It will list municipals, paroquials, federation, etc. albergues, the opening times and whether there is an established cost or whether it is a donativo.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you use Gronze.com you can see which albergues can be reserved and which ones cannot. It will list municipals, paroquials, federation, etc. albergues, the opening times and whether there is an established cost or whether it is a donativo.
Thanks, but this I know. I was referring to your comment: "sometimes our albergues do fill up, but more often then not, the beds are not full at our volunteer location albergues."

I'm trying to figure out if it's a reality right now that public/municipal/non-reservable beds are hard to come by post Pamplona. I'm getting conflicting reports...

I'm trying to figure out if it's a reality right now that public/municipal/non-reservable beds are hard to come by post Pamplona. I'm getting conflicting reports...
It is probably true in some places rather more than others - there are always some pinch points where demand may exceed supply. I saw this very disgruntled post on Facebook yesterday for example.
fromista.jpg

This will be my third time, but previously in March & late September. As stated better when you could just walk to the Albergue itself. This is the first time I have had to resort to using apps. Hate it! Brierleys book is my bible but now no use at all for booking. Brought my wife this time, but now it’s so stressful worrying about accommodation. Non private albergues should not take advanced bookings.
Great rant!

Let me guess: You had the idea of walking a Camino and walk from the start of the Camino Francés around the beginning of May? You did not know that hundreds would have the same idea as you and that the first two weeks of May and the first two weeks of September see the highest number of pilgrims every year in SJPP and Roncesvalles?

So many peregrin@s have the same idea that there are days at the end of April / beginning of May where there are more pilgrims than beds in Roncesvalles. And you don’t agree with the Roncesvalles policy that - when there are not enough beds for everybody - the beds go to those who had booked and who take all day to arrive? Instead, they should go to the strongest and fastest who arrive earlier than those with a booking do? Or is there something that I have not understood properly?

Btw, which non-private albergues accept bookings? I can think of Roncesvalles, they are owned by the diocese but they have always done their own thing, for about a thousand years already. I cannot think of any other municipial or parochial albergue de peregrinos between Roncesvalles and Pamplona that accepts bookings but I would be interested to know.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is probably true in some places rather more than others - there are always some pinch points where demand may exceed supply. I saw this very disgruntled post on Facebook yesterday for example.
View attachment 145993
Yup, but this too is from a reservable place. My gut says that the non-reservable, not-on-Booking(dot)com places are probably being overlooked... but my gut can be wrong and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

I think it’s a good thing that more people are out walking, learning, and experiencing the Camino! There are other routes, and this will be good for those routes! With recent world happenings, in my opinion a calling to the Camino for any reason is probably good for humanity in general. Maybe tourists will be inspired to reach out for more than tourism, and will reach within? :) Unexpected and unwanted challenges can be frustrating, very true. Especially when reality isn’t aligned with your expectations. That can be the Camino. You’ll find a way, and you’ll get a strategy. Buen Camino!

But I do not see why this problem makes it "a turist trap"?

Did you try to reserve by phone? Or by booking.com?
To say it’s a tourist trap now sounds elitist, like you did it way before it was a cool thing to do. Everyone deserves their chance to walk the Camino.
changing approach of pilgrims towards finding accommodation.
There may be unspoken information, because there does seem a shift in numbers of suitcase tourist groups on the Frances. Bottom line is walk another camino if this will bother you...and before they get swamped.

I posted this on another thread, and it's pertinent here:
See this post from Roncesvalles.
The sad post from Roncesvalles points to more than merely a wave. It points to too many people:
No nos gusta decirlo, pero el Camino está saturado y ya no es lo que era.

It sounds like the balance has tipped - more prebooking and touristic groups with luggage:
I am on my 10th Camino now and I have never seen so many people. Last night in Boadilla, they put down mats, the owner took a Japanese couple to his house and had to turn away many people. It’s more than just a wave. There are many groups, large suitcases everywhere and lots of people are reserved all the way through

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yup, but this too is from a reservable place. My gut says that the non-reservable, not-on-Booking(dot)com places are probably being overlooked... but my gut can be wrong and that's what I'm trying to figure out.
It is hard to understand, based on what one reads online and on social media. Are there not enough bookable beds for those who want to book or are there not enough non-bookable beds for those who do do not want to book or are there simply not enough beds for all on some days in some towns? When there are not enough beds then there are not enough beds under any system - even when nobody is allowed to book.

I think that the situation is a bit like the situation with the leaves: you know, too many of the wrong kind of leaves on the railway track. Happens also only on few days per year and it is seasonal … :cool:

Thanks, but this I know. I was referring to your comment: "sometimes our albergues do fill up, but more often then not, the beds are not full at our volunteer location albergues."

I am sorry, I can't tell you the situation on the ground right now. We volunteer this year in early June on a less traveled route. I can only say to consider the smaller towns in-between stages and consider checking at the non-reservable albergues.

"Change" is the one constant in life and we are all witnessing major changes on the Camino due to the sheer numbers of people who wish to walk it. I wonder if media coverage about conflicts and hostility around the world might have something to do with this? My past two pilgrimages on Camino Frances were spectacular, even when difficult due to weather and terrain. Although our experiences in albergues were wonderful, as my brother and I plan our third Camino this fall (late August - early October) we have already booked several hotel reservations, primarily because we are 79 and 81 and recognize the importance of a good sleep. As crowded paths challenge all of us, let's hope that every peregrino who walks The Way is blessed with an abundance of fulfillment, amazing memories and spiritual tranquility.

I am sorry, I can't tell you the situation on the ground right now. We volunteer this year in early June on a less traveled route. I can only say to consider the smaller towns in-between stages and consider checking at the non-reservable albergues.
Hopefully the picture becomes clearer in the coming week... my gut tells me that it's just social media panic, but it would be nice to have a solid idea of what's actually going on.

What is upsetting to me is when I see "There are no beds!" post when I know that I have half my beds open at an albergue. Then I find out it isn't a bed someone wants--it is a room or an apartment or a booking.com reservation at a private albergue. Yes, sometimes our albergues do fill up, but more often then not, the beds are not full at our volunteer location albergues.

I had the entire municipal to myself in Murias de Rechivaldo the other night. The Riegos de Ambros municipal had a whopping 6 pilgrims last night.

I tell every new pilgrim who starts fussing “you will never NOT find a bed on Camino”.

Take a breath, toss whatever “bible” guide you’ve used for years and adjust.

View attachment 145993
Whoever wrote that sounds a bit strange. They had a place to sleep in the library, but they had to take a taxi to a hotel because other people also wanted to sleep in the library??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok so Im currently on the Camino Frances and getting really tired of people having ago because someone made the choice to make their personal pilgrimage easier by booking ALL accommodation.
There is not a need for those persons to justify to anyone why they have chose to do it that why, but by what I can see, is their experience is less stressful, more engaging and quite the opposite to those rushing every morning to be first in line nights filled on their phones frantically trying to find somewhere, and even having to bus back on onwards to have a place to rest.

As everyone keeps saying, its your own Camino and how to organise that is nobodies business but theirs. We all have choices, so work with that the best you can, or simply stay away

Currently on the Camino. Started from SJPP on April 16th and have not booked a single night and I followed the stages the first 10 or so days.

The situation on the ground is that it is indeed tough to get spots in some more popular locations. Roncesvalles, Hontanas, Najera, Zubiri, Boadilla del Camino all had close calls but I eventually found a bed (on a floor mattress or in an overflow room) even while traveling with 4-6 other pilgrims who did not book. We didn’t leave too early most days. What we do though is be respectful, greet the workers in Spanish before starting the conversation and be patient - somehow beds or other solutions tend to open up.

That said, on less popular off stage stops there were plenty of beds. In Sahagun there were plenty of beds last night. If I leave late one thing to do is check out the total number of beds in a town - if there’s less than 50 I’m always prepared to stop early or walk further.

Most people continue to ignore the fact that the May 1 weekend - with the holiday being on a Monday - always creates huge accommodation demands across Spain. Camino pilgrims need to remember that they are only a small part of the masses of travelers - mostly Spaniards and foreign tourists - who want beds that weekend.

Sure, numbers are up, and I would advise reservations in certain places at certain times - May and September, from SJPP to Pamplona, and Sarria-Santiago in August. This current alarmist situation is largely due to the May 1 weekend. However, we can expect the alarm to continue indefinitely, easily fueled by occasional reports of situations where the pilgrim who wants maximum flexibility has taken a risk and doesn't want to accept the downside of that risk.

As for advance bookings ruining the Camino for some people, well, now those people know to go somewhere else.

My province has government-run campsites in beautiful locations, with nice facilities, good maintenance, etc. One simply cannot show up on a summer weekend and expect to find a spot to pitch your tent. We can lament the good old days, but those days were good for some people and not so good for others.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm leaning towards the idea that this bed panic is coming from newbies over reliant on booking(dot)com and all trying to stay at the same stage end points.

The panic is then making it worse as this same group all start to mass reserve anything and everything they can with the intention of holding them "just in case" thereby making beds seem even more scarce.

but by what I can see, is their experience is less stressful, more engaging and quite the opposite to those rushing every morning to be first in line nights filled on their phones frantically trying to find somewhere

To bring balance to this statement, I do not book my entire Camino, I stay off-stage and play it by ear. And surprise surprise—I’m not stressed, I engage as much (or as little) as I want, and I’m absolutely not rushing.

Don’t assume if we’re not booking the entire dang Camino that we’re having a less engaged Camino. In fact, by not planning every single night, I’ve experienced magic, generosity and serendipity. Had I planned the entire Camino I would have missed those moments.

Edit* the snark at folks being spontaneous and not planning is also real on this forum. Some of us are not type A folks.

I'm leaning towards the idea that this bed panic is coming from newbies over reliant on booking(dot)com and all trying to stay at the same stage end points.

The panic is then making it worse as this same group all start to mass reserve anything and everything they can with the intention of holding them "just in case" thereby making beds seem even more scarce.
This however, is just the opinion of someone not yet there.

That's why I'm trying to figure out what the actual reality on the ground is... So if you have real news, please do let us know.

This is, and has been a problem for a while. An obvious solution is for the albergues to require non-refundable payment in advance, but that creates more issues and work for places that have previously been cash only establishments.

This is, and has been a problem for a while. An obvious solution is for the albergues to require non-refundable payment in advance, but that creates more issues and work for places that have previously been cash only establishments.
Or just don't take reservations is another solution.

Or just don't take reservations is another solution.
This comment makes me wonder why (privately owned) albergues take reservations or have started to take reservations in the first place - does anyone know what their motivation is? I can see why those owned by the regional government, or the parishes or the Camino associations don’t take bookings - they rely on volunteers and taxpayers‘ money for investment and costs … no big deal if they remain half empty or even empty on some nights …

This comment makes me wonder why (privately owned) albergues take reservations or have started to take reservations in the first place - does anyone know what their motivation is? I can see why those owned by the regional government, or the parishes or the Camino associations don’t do it - they can rely on volunteers and taxpayers‘ money for investment and costs …
There is obviously a market for reservations just as there is also a desire by some pilgrims to walk in somewhere that does not take reservations. I think it is just an adaptation to a segment of the pilgrim customers.

I know a lot of US travelers (and I am sure travelers from other lands) would not think of traveling without having a reservation somewhere. People are used to what they are used to and the market adapts.

This comment makes me wonder why (privately owned) albergues take reservations or have started to take reservations in the first place - does anyone know what their motivation is? I can see why those owned by the regional government, or the parishes or the Camino associations don’t take bookings - they depend on volunteers and taxpayers‘ money for investment and costs … no big deal if they remain half empty or even empty on some nights …
At the simple donativo albergues where we work, there usually isn't a computer and sometimes not even a phone so it would be difficult to take reservations although some other albergues that use volunteers (Roncesvalles for example) have figured out a way to manage a reservation system.

This comment makes me wonder why (privately owned) albergues take reservations or have started to take reservations in the first place - does anyone know what their motivation is?
As thé practice of making reservations has become more and more widespread - there seems to be a huge demand for it on the Frances - perhaps albergue owners fear losing business if they don’t take reservations. People looking to book will look elsewhere 😎

Last edited:
This was happening to my wife and I when we started walking in early May 2018, well before COVID, While it might be getting worse, and I haven't walked the CF since then, I wouldn't be blaming COVID for this. More, discussions about the 'bed race' were taking place from when I first joined the forum back in 2011, over a decade ago now, and that has been evident on the major routes that I have walked in Spain and Portugal at the end of spring and in early summer.

Quite deliberately, this year I did not book anything earlier than the previous evening, and most of the time I didn't start looking for somewhere to stay until around the middle of the day. This was on the CP walking from Tui. That worked, although looking at some of the commentary on the CF, it seems that sites like Booking.com don't have availability. My experience is that few places offer all their available spaces on such sites, and that it is always worth contacting the property directly to check if they have vacancies.

More, last year I stayed several times in municipal and Xunta albergues that always had space available until quite late in the evening. Were people avoiding them because they couldn't be booked? In one place, there were three of us for the 24 beds, and everything that could be booked in that town was. That indicates to me that there are probably sufficient beds available in most places.

Finally, I don't share your view that this stops the Camino being a pilgrimage. For me, the pilgrimage is to walk to the tomb of Santiago in the cathedral. It is far less important to me whether I have to book some place to stay to achieve that.
I agree, the importance of the pilgrimage is to walk to the tomb of Santiago not how you managed your accommodations.

At the simple donativo albergues where we work, there usually isn't a computer and sometimes not even a phone so it would be difficult to take reservations although some other albergues that use volunteers (Roncesvalles for example) have figured out a way to manage a reservation system.
True, but if not taking reservations is the solution, as you suggested, then I wonder why every privately owned albergue does not opt for this solution? And shouldn’t we campaign for such a solution instead of lamenting about the good old times and about the suitcases now?

This comment makes me wonder why (privately owned) albergues take reservations or have started to take reservations in the first place - does anyone know what their motivation is? I can see why those owned by the regional government, or the parishes or the Camino associations don’t take bookings - they rely on volunteers and taxpayers‘ money for investment and costs … no big deal if they remain half empty or even empty on some nights …
There are advantages to knowing in advance how busy you're going to be. Many may have part-time staff who they call in to help at busy times. Accepting advance booking may (in some cases) mean they can take money in advance, too.

There are advantages to knowing in advance how busy you're going to be. Many may have part-time staff who they call in to help at busy times. Accepting advance booking may (in some cases) mean they can take money in advance, too.
Ok, so these albergues offer the option of booking but peregrin@s should not make use of this option. I am just trying to find some logic in these repetitive threads about "Advance bookings!!!" I mean, killing the Spirit of the Camino, that's a serious accusation.

I book. I am a happy booker. I don't have to race, I know that the Camino has provided a bed for me that will wait for my arrival. I walk at 3 pm and sometimes still at 5 pm. Do you know how peaceful, empty and quiet the Camino Francés is at this time of the day? There is no bed race for me, the bed racers have overtaken me or started much earlier than me in the morning. I don't occupy a non-bookable bed. I leave these beds for the ones who don't want to book.

The overwhelming majority of the pilgrims with whom I have interacted will never know that I had booked a bed for the night. It is not written on my forehead. Only when I am walking with someone or in a loose group and we are about to approach the day's destination and the question of where we will stay comes up, I may say that I am staying at the Albergue al Peregrino Feliz. They may then ask whether I have booked or wonder whether they can stay there too. But really, that's all ....

🫥

From what I read, some of the problems seem to relate to lots of firsttimers not fully understanding the "works" of the Camino, on their very first Camino, in the very beginning of their journey, following guidebook "stages", with more or less unneccessary fear of future days, etc.

Much good advice has been given to them by some very experienced pilgrims in various threads on this Forum during the last days. Follow it.

However, I think the "pressure" will loosen up by tonight/tomorrow, after what seems to have been a chaotic oval weekend in the end/beginning of April/May.

I have walked for many years, especially on the CF, also in April/May 2022, and I have never been anywhere near what has been described this weekend... Never have I been without a bed, not a single night. But firsttimers, and people who most unfortunately rely on services like booking.com, may have been major contributors to the panic.

I bet some of the albergues, especially those who have allowed places like booking.com reservation rights to their places, have had vacant beds due to this destructive panic every night through the weekend...

I have walked CF in April, May, June, August, September, October, with no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
Ok, so these albergues offer the option of booking but peregrin@s should not make use of this option. I am just trying to find some logic in these repetitive threads about "Advance bookings!!!" I mean, killing the Spirit of the Camino, that's a serious accusation.

I book. I am a happy booker. I don't have to race, I know that the Camino has provided a bed for me that will wait for my arrival. I walk at 3 pm and sometimes still at 5 pm. Do you know how peaceful, empty and quiet the Camino Francés is at this time of the day? There is no bed race for me, the bed racers have overtaken me or started much earlier than me in the morning. I don't occupy a non-bookable bed. I leave these beds for the ones who don't want to book.

The overwhelming majority of the pilgrims with whom I have interacted will never know that I had booked a bed for the night. It is not written on my forehead. Only when I am walking with someone or in a loose group and we are about to approach the day's destination and the question of where we will stay comes up, I may say that I am staying at the Albergue al Peregrino Feliz. They may then ask whether I have booked or wonder whether they can stay there too. But really, that's all ....

🫥

We each have our preferences. Some people feel comfort at reserving their journey. Others feel there is not enough flexibility in the idea that they must get to a certain place to sleep. I think the disheartening thing for me is that some people, especially new pilgrims, do not know that all beds cannot be reserved. They get anxious and that anxiety takes away from their pilgrimage experience. I just want them to know that there are other options. Non-reservable beds can and do go unfilled just like reservable ones.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We each have our preferences. Some people feel comfort at reserving their journey. Others feel there is not enough flexibility in the idea that they must get to a certain place to sleep. I think the disheartening thing for me is that some people, especially new pilgrims, do not know that all beds cannot be reserved. They get anxious and that anxiety takes away from their pilgrimage experience. I just want them to know that there are other options. Non-reservable beds can and do go unfilled just like reservable ones.
E.X.A.C.T.L.Y.!

I think another thing that has not come up in this thread is that most non-reservable places are only for pilgrims with a credential while private albergues can and do take other guests. During holiday times, this probably also adds to the shortage of available beds for reservation.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
With regard to availability of accommodation I can’t recall the last time anyone spontaneously posted on here to simply say ‘everything was fine’.

Every year we get the same discussions on accomodation, we could write it on the calendar.

Late April to mid-May and the first half of September; especially on the Frances up to Pamplona and (to a lesser extent) from Sarria.

Pamplona in the first two weeks of July

The weeks which have a Spanish national holiday.

‘Why is it so busy’ at Easter…

I think it will ever be thus. Some people are constrained as to when they can have time to walk; but some of those with flexibility might benefit from a little more research.

It really could be that this long weekend in Spain is the main cause of your frustration. Others have been reporting that April 29 to May 1 this year is crazy with every bed booked.
Yes. Agree. In pamplona right now having come much further than we wished. By taxi so will bus back to todays finish spot and walk from there. Hoping to time our stages our of the main flow for better conditions after pamplona.

I prefer not to begrudge others from experiencing their own camino。 If the numbers ten times increased, I would rejoice. Multitudes doing a Camino speaks to a better world. If one needs to sleep, lie on the ground and rest. If it works for an animal, it works for a child of God.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If the numbers ten times increased, I would rejoice.
You must have a far more generous nature than me. In the years since my first Camino numbers have increased ninety times and that looks set to be over 100x this year if the first four months are an accurate guide. I can still find much of what gave me joy on that first Camino when I walk to Santiago but it will no longer be in May on the Frances. Other routes, other times.

We each have our preferences. Some people feel comfort at reserving their journey. Others feel there is not enough flexibility in the idea that they must get to a certain place to sleep. I think the disheartening thing for me is that some people, especially new pilgrims, do not know that all beds cannot be reserved
The lack of knowledge about the fact that beds in municipial albergues and similar albergues cannot be reserved surprises me, too. A recent thread made me think that a first time peregrin@ who had been a forum member for quite a while and had been preparing the trip for several years was not aware of this.

Of course we all have our preferences. Not booking, not knowing where to stay this night, simply walking on when there is no suitable accommodation left is the epitome of freedom for some, hanging around the albergue with others all afternoon long and cooking pasta with them in the evening is what they are looking for and rave about. For me personally, it would feel more like being in a 32-days hamster wheel. Dormitories are a necessity for me when there is no other option but not something I aim for on a way that isn’t a wilderness trail or a trail through a country with a different accommodation infrastructure than Spain. I dutifully carried my silk sleeping bag liner that serves as a light sleeping bag all the way to Santiago. Luckily imho, I didn’t need it once in Spain because even the albergues where I stayed and shared meals had a private room for me. It was useful a few times in France when there was indeed no other option in a town than dormitory accommodation.

I tried to address mainly the claim that “The whole ethos of walking the Camino is being ruined by advance bookings of beds”.

As to the other aspects, well, I guess that the demand for beds has already eased between SJPP and Logroño but the discussion hasn‘t. There’s already a new thread: “RETHINK walking the Frances” with the advice to “let go of your dream of walking the Caminos Francés“. <rolling eyes in an exaggerated dramatic manner>.

May is simply a popular month for travelling to Spain for many Europeans. The weather is likely to be good, it is not yet unbearably hot compared to their concept of "hot" and there are the many public holidays. It varies from country to country but if you live and work in Germany for example, there is the 1st of May (a Monday this year) and Ascension (always a Thursday and on 18 May this year) and Whitsun Monday (always a Monday and on 29 May this year) - you save 3 of your annual holidays or even 4 if the Friday following Ascension is also an official holiday as agreed by your employer.

In France, the 1st of May, 8 May, 18 May and 29 May are public holidays. 8 May is the day of victory of the Allies/Armistice Day for WWII and it also falls on a Monday this year. Again, expect more people travelling because of this and especially around these dates.

In Spain, the 1st of May is a national holiday and the 2nd of May is a regional holiday for Madrid (Fiesta de la Communidad de Madrid). So, many people in employment have Saturday to Tuesday (2 May) off this year.

And so on ....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
May is simply a popular month for travelling to Spain for many Europeans. The weather is likely to be good, it is not yet unbearably hot compared to their concept of "hot" and there are the many public holidays. It varies from country to country but if you live and work in Germany for example, there is the 1st of May (a Monday this year) and Ascension (always a Thursday and on 18 May this year) and Whitsun Monday (always a Monday and on 29 May this year) - you save 3 of your annual holidays or even 4 if the Friday following Ascension is also an official holiday as agreed by your employer.

In France, the 1st of May, 8 May, 18 May and 29 May are public holidays. 8 May is the day of victory of the Allies/Armistice Day for WWII and it also falls on a Monday this year. Again, expect more people travelling because of this and especially around these dates.

In Spain, the 1st of May is a national holiday and the 2nd of May is a regional holiday for Madrid (Fiesta de la Communidad de Madrid). So, many people in employment have Saturday to Tuesday (2 May) off this year.

And so on ....
Well half of London seems to be in Seville right now! Bank Holiday weekend in UK with another one to come next week for the coronation of King Charles so the ‘holiday maximisation’ folks will be taking full advantage!

First walked the Frances in 2012 and haven’t been back. There are so many other wonderful routes with lovely people and fewer crowds. We love walking in early April and, dare I say it… we prebook to focus on the trip and not the stress of bed chasing.

By the way, Is it about arriving at a “tomb”?
It’s the walking not the arriving.
Enough said, had my winge. Won’t be telling people they should come and do this anymore that’s for sure. Enjoy x
I would say it is about both. That's what makes it a pilgrimage. Otherwise, you might as well be on the Pacific Crest Trail or any other long distance hike.

I guess it depends on what you consider to be the "ethos of walking the Camino". For me, the whole ethos of walking the Camino is about how we treat the people we walk amongst and the land we walk through and not so much about how we find a bed. Your mileage may vary, of course.

As others have said, it's a simple question of supply and demand. When there are more pilgrims than beds, something has to give. One solution is to reserve in advance. That allows you to walk at your own pace and know there will be a bed waiting for you. But you sacrifice the ability to choose to stop where you will. Or we could say that no albergues will accept reservations (as has been suggested by some above). That preserves our ability to decide on the day where we stop (more or less) but creates the dreaded "bed race" where people have to rush to get to the albergue early in order to secure a bed, sacrificing their ability to walk at their own pace.

Personally, my preference is for a mix, with some albergues accepting reservations and others not. Then pilgrims can choose what they are ready to sacrifice and what they want to preserve. That's what we seem to have now with private albergues accepting reservations and municipal/association/parochial albergues not.

I think what the complainers want is the ability to have everything and sacrifice nothing in pursuit of a bed. But I don't think that can really happen where and when the number of pilgrims exceeds the number of beds.

As an additional note, those who are extremely disappointed with deciding ahead of time where they will sleep are often advised to choose less walked Camino routes. That may not be the solution they are looking for. Often, on the less walked Caminos, one is equally advised to notify the folks ahead of time where one will be staying. Not to secure a bed from competition, but to ensure the albergue is ready to receive visitors and/or get the door code that will let them into the albergue.

I would say it is about both. That's what makes it a pilgrimage. Otherwise, you might as well be on the Pacific Crest Trail or any other long distance hike.

I guess it depends on what you consider to be the "ethos of walking the Camino". For me, the whole ethos of walking the Camino is about how we treat the people we walk amongst and the land we walk through and not so much about how we find a bed. Your mileage may vary, of course.

As others have said, it's a simple question of supply and demand. When there are more pilgrims than beds, something has to give. One solution is to reserve in advance. That allows you to walk at your own pace and know there will be a bed waiting for you. But you sacrifice the ability to choose to stop where you will. Or we could say that no albergues will accept reservations (as has been suggested by some above). That preserves our ability to decide on the day where we stop (more or less) but creates the dreaded "bed race" where people have to rush to get to the albergue early in order to secure a bed, sacrificing their ability to walk at their own pace.

Personally, my preference is for a mix, with some albergues accepting reservations and others not. Then pilgrims can choose what they are ready to sacrifice and what they want to preserve. That's what we seem to have now with private albergues accepting reservations and municipal/association/parochial albergues not.

I think what the complainers want is the ability to have everything and sacrifice nothing in pursuit of a bed. But I don't think that can really happen where and when the number of pilgrims exceeds the number of beds.

As an additional note, those who are extremely disappointed with deciding ahead of time where they will sleep are often advised to choose less walked Camino routes. That may not be the solution they are looking for. Often, on the less walked Caminos, one is equally advised to notify the folks ahead of time where one will be staying. Not to secure a bed from competition, but to ensure the albergue is ready to receive visitors and/or get the door code that will let them into the albergue.
Not just the door code, either. On the Via Podiensis, Gite owners need to be aware of dinner needs so they can purchase food. We became very sensitive to confirming reservations to not inconvenience the owners for meals/packed lunches.

Not just the door code, either. On the Via Podiensis, Gite owners need to be aware of dinner needs so they can purchase food. We became very sensitive to confirming reservations to not inconvenience the owners for meals/packed lunches.
well said @Purple Backpack‼️ I will start re-confirming my reservations in a fortnight or so for the Via Podiensis ... come hell or high water I will turn up to claim my bed for the night and happily pay the appropriate tarif ...

well said @Purple Backpack‼️ I will start re-confirming my reservations in a fortnight or so for the Via Podiensis ... come hell or high water I will turn up to claim my bed for the night and happily pay the appropriate tarif ...
I love getting packed lunches every day. Makes me feel like I’m back in third grade.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A possibly irrelevant comment from me before a moderator closes this thread. 😂😂😂
My first Camino Françés in 2009. Before I left home, I was aware that there may be the possibility of me having to sleep outdoors or on the church steps. Thankfully that never happened, and I always had a bed.
However, there was already talk about a ‘bed race’ and those ‘awful Germans (😢) who would get up before dawn so they could get a bed’. 😢😢😢
I am not German, but I used to leave before dawn, so I could see the sunrise every day. I found it all a little confusing.
Second Camino - Portuguese, I walked with a friend who had to pre-book us every day for her own peace of mind / sanity - literally. On this Camino, I learnt that not everyone operates the way I do.
Last year on the Via I learnt that any weekend in a tourist town and any area with a huge Fiesta will have no accommodation unless there is a pilgrim only albergue that is open. And in this case, there were a maximum of 10 pilgrims a day. So I feel a little distressed when people use the phrase ‘there are too many pilgrims’.
I have longed to walk the CF again for many years, but kept hearing that it was a nightmare of busyness.
Now that I am better informed I might give it a shot starting late September this year. I will let you know how it goes.🌺🎉❤️

By the way, Is it about arriving at a “tomb”?
It’s the walking not the arriving.
Enough said, had my winge. Won’t be telling people they should come and do this anymore that’s for sure. Enjoy x
Well, yes at least technically it is. But not many walkers see it that way, it is true.

Some municipals are accepting reservations. That said, some also hold back beds for tired pilgrims who wander in after 5 or 6 pm.

I have not yet pre-booked anything and so far have (in Los Arcos tonight) had a bed (a bed, not a room) every night.

I have made my days much shorter than they used to be, thanks to a bad knee, so I am arriving early at municipals in stage towns (often behind a group of 20somethings who start at 6 am and are following the Brierley stages.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, there are some municipal and parroquials that do accept reservations. You can check that on Gronze.com. I know Roncesvalles accepts reservations. If the community has the infrastructure installed it could be possible, but not usual. Also if they use rotation volunteers training may also be required.

Always use my Spanish, and telephone. This will be my third time, but previously in March & late September. As stated better when you could just walk to the Albergue itself. This is the first time I have had to resort to using apps. Hate it! Brierleys book is my bible but now no use at all for booking. Brought my wife this time, but now it’s so stressful worrying about accommodation. Non private albergues should not take advanced bookings. OK except your objection re tourist trap, but how else to describe ??
I see a clue here. Many people use Mr. Brierly's book, which is informative and useful, but they think that they have to stop at the towns he identifies as end of stages. One of the best things that happened on our first Camino walk, in 2014, was arriving at the end town of Belorado at about 11 in the morning, sitting down for a coffee, and deciding that we could walk another 7 km before stopping. After that we never stopped at the end point of a stage. It greatly improved our experience and I think it greatly improved our luck on accomodations. (We do like to wait until about 1 or 2 PM before finding a place.)
Also, as it's a pilgrimage, I will mention that a couple of times we were aided to find somewhere to sleep. I actually think that the reason we keep being drawn back to the Camino is that we still have to learn to fully trust.
God bless all of the Camino angels.
BC

The albergue I was hospitalero at in Villamayor de Monjardín 2015-2018, i.e., pre-COVID, was often full by 17:00. Folks were expressing similar anxiety then. But in April 2016, I went from there to Viana → Navarrete → Cirueña → Villafranca Montes de Oca → Burgos → Hontanas. In each, I there was room at the first albergue I tried. No phone calls, no reservations, just show up and ask. Then after three nights at a friend’s apartment in Zamora, I went from there to Villar de Farfón → La Bañeza and by bus to Villamayor de Monjardín for another 67 days hosting. In August 2017, no booking, no problem in Santiago, Negreira, Mollón, Hospital, Cee, Muxia.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The original premise of this post seems silly. There is no way to control the way establishments want to do business.

I guess at the end of the season we will know if it is all true that there were more pilgrims this year. And hopefully the albergues and small hotels will make a monetary nest egg to continue operating, and encourage covid closed establishments to reopen.

And It would be lovely if there was a booking (.com) style app only for the camino that would not take as much of a percentage from the vendors.

I often used the booking app to find accommodations, but then just walked in the door. If they were "fully booked' online, at least 50% of the time they had a bed or room anyway and usually charged less.

If you are trying to book a bed 3 days in advance you are de facto attempting to book in advance..?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I walked last year, too, and found places in between guidebook stages had beds. I booked some ahead, but when I didn't, still found a bed. Sometimes only 6-10 people in albergue.

Can confirm, many places ran out of place. And the next village and the next... some Irish were even walking back to find a place 😞 started to book ahead too as I can't walk double distances.

I walked last year, too, and found places in between guidebook stages had beds. I booked some ahead, but when I didn't, still found a bed. Sometimes only 6-10 people in albergue.
Have just finished the Camino Francis; started in SJPDP on April 4th.
We found accommodation issues in Pamplona, crowded due to Easter, and Melide, due to the final hundred km crowd.
We started booking 24hrs in advance after another close call in Punte la Reina.
Phoning is sometimes difficult because Alberques are often short staffed; persistence is necessary.
Half way through the trip we started aiming for places between the main 'guidebook' towns. We stayed in many Alberques that were almost empty. We also saw many others that looked similarly part empty.
In summary, prebooking is good, but not as essential as many of the above posts seem to imply. Also, whilst it is busy, the Camino Francis did seem to us to be generally well serviced with Albergue capacity.
Buen Camino.

Correction: it is 'ruined' by a (temporary) greater demand. In no-reservation land this would mean that pilgrims would be lining up at the albergue at 12.00h while the albergue opens at 15.00h. In that case you wouldn't be able to stop whenever and wherever either.

€60,-
Yes and the parochial albergue in Viana is closed for construction updates is what I understand.
The entrance is all barracked and I didn’t seen any signs directing pilgrims to a different entrance.

Bad headline writers who don’t check their facts (are they ruining the Camino?)

I'm surprised this thread is still running. 🤔

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I finished SJPP to Leon on March 30th, booked every night before leaving. My mind was free of worry and the walk was wonderful. To each his own way but I would observe that if you define a single set of criteria for the "authentic" experience and everything else as "tourist trap" then......

I had to stop myself there. To each his own way.

I completed the CP just last week. On day 3, the place was full at Carreco. Looked like a nice place. After having had completed about 18 miles that day. I wasn't wanting to continue to the next town. Luckily, the owner of this place had a friend 200 meters away that helped him in these situations. From that night on, I'd book for the next night utilizing Gronze for the info of choices and booking.com for the most part or an email.

In 2008 we never booked one night ahead and made sure we had a good sleep by booking a pension every third night and took 34 days.
And yes we stopped walking at noon / 1pm because of the queue's.
In 2009 we upped the anti and used more Pensions , booking ahead and took 42 days .
In 2010 we commenced in Le Puy , booked only the day ahead in superior gite accommodation , which meant when we commenced the last 900 to Muxia that year we continued the trait of Pensions/hotels.

And it never changed from that day , however I object to the word tourist .
The Primitivo [ a tad up hill ] and Mont St Michel [ a tad lonely ] attest to that.

To each there own

Listening to the conversations along the way about booking ahead, there seem to be two camps among those who book: those who are confident in their ability to walk the km required to get there, and those who are ever shifting their reservations because they’ve discovered walking that many km every day is hard.

Listening to the conversations along the way about booking ahead, there seem to be two camps among those who book: those who are confident in their ability to walk the km required to get there, and those who are ever shifting their reservations because they’ve discovered walking that many km every day is hard.
Or circumstances change .
They might also realise that the slow path is very desirable.
The rest and relaxation for a few days in wonderful cities / towns shred a different light on how the locals live and enjoy life.
How many pilgrims attend the little chapels/ churches in the barrio's outside the main squares ?
How many pilgrims attend these same neighbourhoods and enjoy the village atmosphere and be told a few secrets for the days ahead , from families who have walked ?

Or circumstances change .
They might also realise that the slow path is very desirable.
The rest and relaxation for a few days in wonderful cities / towns shred a different light on how the locals live and enjoy life.
How many pilgrims attend the little chapels/ churches in the barrio's outside the main squares ?
How many pilgrims attend these same neighbourhoods and enjoy the village atmosphere and be told a few secrets for the days ahead , from families who have walked ?
Sadly, I suspect for most of those I’ve been listening to, none. Many are already planning what to skip down the road to make up lost time. I’ve seen all of one other person inside a church for reasons other than grabbing a stamp (judging by the speed of their visit and lack of even glancing around.) I see very little interaction with locals.

I’m sure there are some out there doing as you’ve said, I’ve just not met them yet.

Sadly, I suspect for most of those I’ve been listening to, none. Many are already planning what to skip down the road to make up lost time. I’ve seen all of one other person inside a church for reasons other than grabbing a stamp (judging by the speed of their visit and lack of even glancing around.) I see very little interaction with locals.

I’m sure there are some out there doing as you’ve said, I’ve just not met them yet.
What you describe … I find it … well, I would find it sad for myself. I was astonished at first when I noticed it but then accepted that this is what people do and want or it has not occurred to them yet that there are other ways. Some really want to walk and interact with other pilgrims and not much else; first timers on the Camino Frances have given themselves a limited amount of time and want to cover “the whole Camino“ within that timeframe, others simply don’t have much interest in learning first hand about regions and their people … it is what it is.

Last edited:
Yes or those who start off maybe doing 20km, and find after a few days they can do more if they so wish. I started 20-25km a day and after a few days I found I could do a fair bit more, without too too much trouble, albeit much longer days.

Also one of the reasons for booking ahead is it gives me motivation to get to the hostel! Nothing like a prepaid non cancellable booking to motivate me to walk another 5kms!

€46,-

I did. But then having a donkey along makes for a lot of interaction. Many stays in people's homes or fields, gifts of hay and grain not to mention packets of biscuits for the donkey (I stole some of those for me) a police escort through Bilbao and Lugo. We had fun.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back