• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advance train tickets at Madrid Atocha

Prentiss Riddle

Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada
Time of past OR future Camino
Português and/or Francés in 2023
Just a minor report from the road...

If you're at Atocha train station in Madrid trying to buy advance train tickets, you're going to need a lot of patience or luck or both. There's only one ticket window in all of Madrid able to sell advance tickets. You have to take a number and when you do, there will be literally 100+ people ahead of you.

The ticket machines are a better option but they have a terrible interface with no "back" button and it may take you several tries to get the right ticket in your cart, at which point your transaction may be canceled because a lot of the printers aren't working. So look around for someone making a successful purchase and use the same machine.

I'm told that your best bet is to buy online using bahn.com (which has a better user interface than the Renfe site). But some trains apparently fall into a limbo where the system doesn't know if they're sold out, which is why I tried to buy in person.

The good news is that I hear that seats to Pamplona are plentiful (except during festivals) so advance purchases to Pamplona aren't really necessary.

Good luck and buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For years renfe.com created headaches for people from the US, but I think it has gotten better recently. Downloading their app as Trecile suggests is probably a way to enhance the likelihood of success.

If you like in-person transactions,though, one option is to buy your ticket at the Madrid airport. RENFE has a small office at the entrance to the Cercanías train at T4 and there is never anyone there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We bought our tickets ahead of time on renfe.com site. It worked great, and includes the train fee from the airport to the Atocha train station. We found several people at the Renfe office at the T4 station and they were very, very helpful when these two very tired pilgrims could not figure out how to get our ticket to the Atocha train station. You had to do something at the ticket machine with your printed ticket from Atocha to Pamplona. We couldn't figuure it out, and some kind Renfe woman came out from behind the desk, walked over, took our Atocha tickets, did the thing we could not do, and handed us our tickets to the Atocha station. She even pointed out where we needed to go and what platform The Camino kindness was upon us before we ever left the Madrid airport.

We bought our tickets ahead of time on renfe.com site. It worked great, and includes the train fee from the airport to the Atocha train station. We found several people at the Renfe office at the T4 station and they were very, very helpful when these two very tired pilgrims could not figure out how to get our ticket to the Atocha train station. You had to do something at the ticket machine with your printed ticket from Atocha to Pamplona. We couldn't figuure it out, and some kind Renfe woman came out from behind the desk, walked over, took our Atocha tickets, did the thing we could not do, and handed us our tickets to the Atocha station. She even pointed out where we needed to go and what platform The Camino kindness was upon us before we ever left the Madrid airport.
My wife and I will be Madrid airport on September 19 and take a train to Leon. Can we buy the train tickets at the airport or buy them in advance before flying to Spain?

My wife and I will be Madrid airport on September 19 and take a train to Leon. Can we buy the train tickets at the airport or buy them in advance before flying to Spain?
I tried to buy train tickets in advance at Renfe.com but couldn't find its homepage in English, except in Spanish. moreover no reservation. is it too early? (no train schedule). when is the best time to reserve?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi, joeandmiki, welcome to the forum. I think the RENFE website only allows you to buy tickets 3 months out, or maybe it's four. But if they are not showing trains, you are too early.

I think you can probably buy your tickets at the airport when you arrive, but some people like to have things all arranged beforehand. If you want to arrive with your tickets in hand, you can use renfe.com or also petrabax.com, which is a broker, but I think their fees are less than RailEurope's.

Are you arriving in T4 (on Iberia or a partner airline)? That will make the whole thing easier. If not, you will have to get an intra-airport bus to T4, which will add 20 minutes or so.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, joeandmiki, welcome to the forum. I think the RENFE website only allows you to buy tickets 3 months out, or maybe it's four. But if they are not showing trains, you are too early.

I think you can probably buy your tickets at the airport when you arrive, but some people like to have things all arranged beforehand. If you want to arrive with your tickets in hand, you can use renfe.com or also petrabax.com, which is a broker, but I think their fees are less than RailEurope's.

Are you arriving in T4 (on Iberia or a partner airline)? That will make the whole thing easier. If not, you will have to get an intra-airport bus to T4, which will add 20 minutes or so.

Buen camino, Laurie
I think it's more like 60 days. There's no availability yet for the first week of July.

I tried to buy train tickets in advance at Renfe.com but couldn't find its homepage in English, except in Spanish. moreover no reservation. is it too early? (no train schedule). when is the best time to reserve?

Its too early.

I can't get the Renfe website to show any trains past mid June. Its like that every year. Try again mid July and if not then try 30 days out.

Meanwhile you can use today's schedule to plan. Despite the hangups at change of season, (Summer start, summer end, Christmas, Easter) the schedule doesn't change much.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hi JoeandMiki; My opinion, I would buy ahead of time. It'll reduce your stress upon arrival to Spain and ensures you get the train you want. On our Portuguese last year, we tried to buy tickets from Lisbon to Porto online, but we couldn't print them off, they only would mail them to us. We didn't have enough time for mail, so we decided to purchase at the train station. Well, the high-speed train we wanted was booked solid. The next train was 45 min later and was an IC or inter city train. That meant it stopped many times on its way to Porto. The result was that we were nearly two hours late to arrive in Porto. We had planed to use that time to walk from the Cathedral to Matosinhos, AFTER we got our passport and walking poles. We only had time for those two, so we didn't walk that section.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Yes you can buy them in advance before flying to Spain. See Renfe website for a salespoint in your home country or buy online from Renfe. Petrabax is USA salespoint.

Yes you can buy tickets at the airport at terminal 4. Note the train at the airport is a commuter train called Cercanias. Cercanias will connect you to Chamartin station. Trains to Leon typically leave from Chamartin.

Tickets just became available today for my early July travel. I got Preferente tickets for 24€.

when you purchase your renfe train ticket from the atocha train station to pamplona, how would you get to the atocha train station from madrid airport?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The easiest way is to take a taxi…especially if time is an issue. Costs €30 and takes abt 20-25 minutes.

I saw another forum earlier talking about check-ins taking forever at the renfe station. I arrive in Madrid on a Wednesday 8:45 and booked a renfe for 11:35 at Atocha station, do you guys think I'll be okay? Just incase I got the upgraded seats so I could change tickets if I happened to miss the train.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yellow ‘aerobus’ every 20 minutes, takes about 30 minutes; €5 cash only.
thank you, this was informative. seems pretty straight forward, would this be okay from either T1 or T4? my flight hasn't shown which terminal ill land at as of yet, just booked today.

thank you, this was informative. seems pretty straight forward, would this be okay from either T1 or T4? my flight hasn't shown which terminal ill land at as of yet, just booked today.
Yes. T1, T2 and T4. Still wearing masks on public transport in Spain I think. I’ve not been there for a couple of months.

I saw another forum earlier talking about check-ins taking forever at the renfe station. I arrive in Madrid on a Wednesday 8:45 and booked a renfe for 11:35 at Atocha station, do you guys think I'll be okay? Just incase I got the upgraded seats so I could change tickets if I happened to miss the train.
If you’re flying with hand luggage only, it’ll be fine. But don’t hang around. Get straight to the bus and get straight to the departure area at Atocha. They sell coffee and snacks there snd have a washroom. You actually go through a security scan and into a departure area then you’re allowed through to the platform only when the train’s ready and waiting. Doesn’t take long.

Even with checked luggage you’ve plenty of time but if flight’s delayed or baggage takes forever you might resort to taxi so as to not wait for bus; although it’ll only save you 10-15 minutes. Fixed price fare, €30 or thereabouts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you’re flying with hand luggage only, it’ll be fine. But don’t hang around. Get straight to the bus and get straight to the departure area at Atocha. They sell coffee and snacks there snd have a washroom. You actually go through a security scan and into a departure area then you’re allowed through to the platform only when the train’s ready and waiting. Doesn’t take long.

Even with checked luggage you’ve plenty of time but if flight’s delayed or baggage takes forever you might resort to taxi so as to not wait for bus; although it’ll only save you 10-15 minutes. Fixed price fare, €30 or thereabouts.
Take a taxi to Atocha. It is quicker! 20 -25 minutes. €30.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back