• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice - 4 Days to Hike Part of the Camino

pattenwhelchel

Time of past OR future Camino
Unsure
Hello everyone! I’m seeking advice about the best portion of the Camino to hike. I have 3-4 days free in either mid April or May to go. I understand that 4 days isn’t nearly enough time but it’s better than nothing. I’ll be traveling from Madrid. I’m young and active so can handle longer days. I might also be traveling alone as a young woman so I’d appreciate recommendations about safety as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are coming from Madrid, you would probably want to start somewhere convenient for transportation. Assuming you want the Camino Frances experience rather than a lonelier Camino Madrid, maybe Pamplona to Logrono would be a good choice. In May, you might want to reserve ahead for your accommodation in Pamplona. It is a popular starting point, so you would meet lots of other new people - for that purpose it is good to stay in one of the popular albergues on your first night.

I have no safety tips except to be aware in the same way you should be aware wherever and whenever you travel, even near home. You will have much more company on the Camino Frances than any other route, if that is important to you.

Yes, four days is a very short time. I would suggest Leon to Ponferrada. Easy bus from Madrid airport to Leon, Ponferrada has a rail station--so easy transport to return. The total distance is about 100+km and covers the western part of the Meseta as well as a nice climb to the Cruz de Ferro. (So bring your stone!!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Both Pamplona to Logroño and Leon to Ponferrada are excellent choices. It really all depends on what you are looking for. Do you want flat or hills or mountains? Do you want something very solitary or do you want more of a pilgrim community? Would you like to see historic cities, small towns or villages? Do you want to walk through forests or wheat fields or vineyards? If we knew what was important to you it would be easier to suggest that section of the Camino that has the best chance of providing it.

Four days is better than none so go for it, you can always return another time and walk more Camino kms.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If I had four days to walk I'd start at the end and walk to the end or the beginning, Santiago to Finisterre, although technically not CF its beginning of Its own Camino so you can collect stamps and receive a Compestela You'll meet others who have walked 500 miles and more and share in their joy and postive intention that should provide an insight into what its all about and the importance of allowing a longer timeframe in future to walk in one visit and experience the body-mind-soul phenomena 🤠

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back